Fuel reserve flasher on the NC700X/S

Guest gunshot72

Guest scrumpymike

One of the good things about the NC is that, thanks to its power/torque delivery, balance, and luggage options, you actually have a fair bit of scope to choose exactly how and where you ride it. Over the years, I've owned many bikes that made your life a misery unless you rode them in the one particular way that suited their character (usually either uncomfortably fast or slow, Sunday morning blast or steady marathon). All bikes are a compromise, but the NC certainly does it for me.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• JaseR

• Fishmanboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an update to this post I got my reserve flasher coming on at 177 miles today. I then rode for another 43 miles on reserve before I ran out completely. So 220 miles out of a 14.1 litre tank with a 1

I have been keeping a check on my fiel consumption my worst was 71.3 MPG & the best 85.89. the average over all my fill ups is 78.74 MPG. The furthest I have travelled before filling up so far is

Found the receipt! Of course it's going to need a few more figures to work properly, but we're off to a good start. Let's see if I can keep it going...

2K revs seems very 'thumpy' to me, not sure if the engine is straining or not!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry to harp on about this again, so when the last bar is flashing , the bike has around 50 miles left in it. So you need to find a petrol station safely in around 20 to 25 miles as not to run out? riding conservatively when the last bar appears? 

Typically, with a non-agressive riding my last bar starts flashing after 320 km approx. In one occasion I checked that after the last bar started flashing I rode 75km on the motorway before stopping at a pump station. There I filled 12.3 liters. Thus, there were 1.7 liters left in the tank. For a consumption of 3.5l/100km, this represents 50 extra km. Summarizing, we can ride about 100km in reserve. Enough to find a pump station before getting jumpy...

If you run it to empty, it may give you problems when you refill it. Any rubish in the bottom of the tank maybe sucked up by the fuel pump and block the injector.

Of course it may not, but do you feel lucky P... :santa:

If you run it to empty, it may give you problems when you refill it. Any rubish in the bottom of the tank maybe sucked up by the fuel pump and block the injector.

Of course it may not, but do you feel lucky P... :santa:

Well, you only need to manage your reserve based on 50 miles, rather than 60...

Thanks Lads  I can relax a bit now when I see the last bar flashing , I have never gone beyond 160 miles before fill ups before.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems the tank only holds about 13.6l without slowly filling it up right to the rim. So if you filled in 12.3l, there was likely not much more than 1l left.

The last bar flashes at 2.9 remaining liters according to the manual. So I would refuel within ~60 km.

BTW, for me it starts to flash at 290 km at the very latest. I did have too low tyre pressure until recently though and only noticed it when I realized my NC doesn't reach its top speed (must be at least 170 km/h on the speedo). At that speed it will consume over 5l btw.

Edited by Emil
  • 2 months later...
Huskyteer

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has experimented with this. Yesterday I was concerned about whether I could make it to my favourite petrol station, having gone to work with a flashing bar, but thanks to this thread I could see I'd have ample fuel!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest The Soviet

220 miles clocked up on one tank so far and the flasher is doing its bit for last 20 -30 miles  not far to go. 73 mpg so far

Guest The Soviet

hi all just filled up the tank for the 2nd time 226 miles done put in 13.87 lts 75mpg not bad at all better than my car. just need to reset trip meter when it start flashing to see how far I can go in the red

Did 226 miles today - 216 miles before the flasher came on. Riding on A roads, mostly, so kept it around 65 mph with short stints up to 70/75 although there were a few 50 limits along the way (which I kept to). Works out at 95mpg :D

Edited by JaseR
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thats a good idea re-setting the trip meter when it starts flashing, I will do that but not going to take too much of a chance and try and go a further 25 miles before filling it up. Not too keen on taking extra fuel with me, slushing about in a can in the non tank. Will sit at 60 mph

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ixworth

Using the Road Trip Lite app on my iPhone to keep track of fuel consumption.  After 3 weeks of use and just over 2,500miles my NC700S is returning an average 73.06mpg.

My journey is 95miles each way, nearly every day.  15 miles of rural A roads at 60mph, then 65miles of A14/M11 sticking close to 70mph, and finally 15miles of filtering in and out of city traffic.

Reserve comes on regular as clockwork at 163miles and I usually run a further 30miles before filling up.  I've filled the tank to the brim almost every fill-up and usually need to put between 11.5 and 12 litres of fuel in.

I'm expecting to put 36,000 miles or more on the bike this year as I ride from late-Feb through to late-Nov.  If I can maintain 73mpg then the bike will be doing its job well; any more than that will be a bonus!

Guest ColinB

Worst I've got to flashing reserve is 145 miles but that was 80 to 90 mph down the A1.  Normally starts flashing at around 180 miles and I reckon 2.9 litres is good for about 40 miles.

sandalfarm

Thats a good idea re-setting the trip meter when it starts flashing, I will do that but not going to take too much of a chance and try and go a further 25 miles before filling it up. Not too keen on taking extra fuel with me, slushing about in a can in the non tank. Will sit at 60 mph

there isn't a shortage of petrol stations in this country so why push it to the limit you wouldn't risk flying across the Atlantic without setting off with enough fuel
Guest fresh air

there isn't a shortage of petrol stations in this country so why push it to the limit you wouldn't risk flying across the Atlantic without setting off with enough fuel

But how many are Sainsbury's or Morrisons though ?   These are consistently the cheapest in my area and I plan my trips by them. (Sorry local garage-man)

ddazzler64

I run mine to 160miles and then the reserve flashes.  Advised to fill up at this point to keep the pump submerged in petrol (apparently this is good for it).  

I found that running the engine at 3-4 k revs is supposed to be the best way to keep it at its optimum fuel consumption.  This is the revs it runs at on the motorway and gets me the 70-75 mpg 

Any thoughts on this?

NC X btw

Daren

• 2 months later...
Guest AlwaysNaked

Cringing as I type/ask this - REALLY cringing ... oh, what the heck - let me spit it out ... when filling the NC "to the brim" are we talking about to the piece of flat perforated steel an inch or so below the actual level of the filler cap ... or right up to the cap itself?

I know the difference will only be 100ml or so, but having done circa 35miles since the single bar started flashing and then getting 12.7 litres up to that flat steel nozzle guard thing, I am trying to get an absolute matter of fact idea on the 13.9 capacity as the station I stopped at this afternoon was about 10miles from home and there is a station right at the end of my street, which would be pretty sweet as I filled up on Friday evening last week - so am trying to gauge if I can make a 5 day working week or if I am cutting it too fine.

Even reading this back to myself, I realise that regardless of the last inch or two, I should still have had at least a litre in there which is probably fine for my needs - but there may be days when the light starts flashing further back in my working week, so the pointless mind still boggles???

Cheers

Guest EasyTiger

You could always keep a can at home or carry a litre bottle in the tank until you are confident.

In this hot weather it's nice to have an air gap for expansion etc. One Kawasaki I owned used to hiss or whistle on stopping!

Guest AlwaysNaked

True - I guess a 500ml emergency bottle for the next 2 x weeks would be the best bet.

Only filled up twice so far and she is brand new ... would be nice to get a full 5 day working week out of a tank as that just crosses all the t's and dots all the i's really.

Makes filling up a regular thing as opposed to a random calculation - especially in London traffic which pretty much means only stopping when you HAVE TO or risk getting more caged in during rush hours.

Guest AlwaysNaked

hehe - thanks for that ...I had a feeling my cringing was due to a loud voice shouting in my head to get the bleeding manual out!  :D

-