Fuel reserve flasher on the NC700X/S

Guest gunshot72

Guest Tumbleweed

May prove to be wise to have some spare fuel in the Not-the-tank.

What kind of bottle do you gents use? I recon a standard soda bottle may not be so well resistant to the fuel..?

I use a 1000ml Sigg fuel bottle.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• JaseR

• Fishmanboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an update to this post I got my reserve flasher coming on at 177 miles today. I then rode for another 43 miles on reserve before I ran out completely. So 220 miles out of a 14.1 litre tank with a 1

I have been keeping a check on my fiel consumption my worst was 71.3 MPG & the best 85.89. the average over all my fill ups is 78.74 MPG. The furthest I have travelled before filling up so far is

Found the receipt! Of course it's going to need a few more figures to work properly, but we're off to a good start. Let's see if I can keep it going...

Rocker66

Ever since the hose pipe ban came into force it hasn't stopped raining. Where have the normal smileys gone, no er, smiley face- just aggressive ones :-(

if anyone dares to mention the rights or wrongs about carrying petrol in a tin i will seriouslly do one

Not had any rain here yet however I have solved that problem by taking a weeks leave starting next Monday. Forcast for tis area for the next 7 days Rain! :rolleyes:

The smiley faces are still there like this one :) just click on " Show all" under the pictures

I'm surprised Jen hasn't used this one :tumbleweed:

Guest ex-member

What kind of bottle do you gents use? I recon a standard soda bottle may not be so well resistant to the fuel..?

I use a 1000ml Sigg fuel bottle.

Petrol can corrode Aluminium.....so.

I think it is a calculated risk to carry extra fuel outside the tank. However, you may want to use a fuel-bottle and not just any bottle. Those camping fuel bottles (like Sigg) may be a good choice.

Regarding my comment about running the tank dry on a fuel-injector system, anyone has other ideas? I was once told this is very bad for the injectors and could leave damage if runned dry.

Guest Holliday
:ike: miles here MPG there OMG where are the people that work with Kilometres ? :pinch: I read it can do about 350 km before the tank is empty with by my calculation is about 4 litres / 100 km. NOT BAD :)
Guest ex-member

:ike: miles here MPG there OMG where are the people that work with Kilometres ? :pinch: I read it can do about 350 km before the tank is empty with by my calculation is about 4 litres / 100 km. NOT BAD :)

4L per 100km.

14.1L = 14.1/4 X100 = 352km.... (I would look for fill-up when light comes on, or after 300km).

Guest gunshot72

I wouldn't worry about running the tank dry on a new bike. It's only only older bikes where fuel sediment has had the chance to collect over many hundreds of fill ups where you don't want to run dry. Remember also that fuel is tapped from the tank at it's very lowest point so most unwanted particulates in the fuel will have already been drawn out and into the fuel filter during normal riding when the fuel has little chance to settle.

Edited by gunshot72
Guest ex-member

I wouldn't worry about running the tank dry on a new bike. It's only only older bikes where fuel sediment has had the chance to collect over many hundreds of fill ups where you don't want to run dry. Remember also that fuel is tapped from the tank at it's very lowest point so most unwanted particulates in the fuel will have already been drawn out and into the fuel filter during normal riding when the fuel has little chance to settle.

I am not saying the particles will /may get into the injectors.

I read somewhere (quite a few years back), that it is not healthy to run dry and the electronic injectors become empty (air-gaps etc).

Maybe I am too long away from the tech stuff in motorcycles?

:yawn:

PS: another reason why i traded in my old Shadow (carb) is that I travel up the mountains (can be 2000m high) and I am hoping (counting on) that the e-injectors will compensate properly.

Edited by swissnc700
Rocker66

I have been keeping a check on my fiel consumption my worst was 71.3 MPG & the best 85.89. the average over all my fill ups is 78.74 MPG.

The furthest I have travelled before filling up so far is 188.8 miles which took 2.24 gallons (imperial) which is 10.19 litres

Edited by Rocker66
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Fishmanboy

I have been keeping a check on my fiel consumption my worst was 71.3 MPG & the best 85.89. the average over all my fill ups is 78.74 MPG.

The furthest I have travelled before filling up so far is 188.8 miles which took 2.24 gallons (imperial) which is 10.19 litres

Another 4 litres left then... that should see me hit the magical 200 mile mark and mean only a fill up every two days... oh the people at my local Texico are gonna wonder what happend to me haha :lol:

Guest Steve

My reserve light came on at 167 miles, I filled up at 176 miles. Put exactly 10 litres in, so I also had four litres left in my tank. Gawd I love this bike! However I reckon the chancellor of the exchequer won't, lol

Guest Diego

I remember once filling up a plastic bottle of water and it melt instantly haha (I was 13yo) and was driving a Yamaha PW 80cc at the time.

Edited by Diego
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ScottyMac

Mine almost always comes on at around 165 miles. I usually do another 20 or so miles then fill up thinking this is rubbish, but only get around 10 litres in, so it's not too bad at all. I've been sitting on motorways at a "healthy" speed which doesn't really spare the horses, so I can't complain.

Guest ScottyMac

I took the time to work out fuel usage over the last tank full....

183 miles, topped it back up, it took 11 litres exactly...

11ltr = 2.419 (UK) gallons,

183/11 = 75.93 mpg

....I'll take that. Nice. This is with me making no effort whatsoever to save fuel, in fact, as I mentioned earlier, I ride this bike faster than any previous bike.

Others had mentioned using an app on your phone* - I got one and have started using it for my car - I'll also use it for the bike as it'll be interesting to see how it performs over time

I'm using 'FuelLog'* - there's a free version and you can pay for the unlock key (Google Play)

*Other fuel apps are available :wink:

I'm using it for the car as well - 22mpg! Now you can see why I'm looking forward to getting on my NC quickly!