Fuse removal problem

Scootabout

Scootabout

Bike wouldn't show any signs of life, when I turned the ignition key, a couple of days ago. I thought a fuse must be blown, as it seemed unlikely that the battery would suddenly have gone flat. I tried to remove the fuse box cover, to the left of the battery, but try as I might I couldn't get it off. I also couldnt disconnect the connector from the main fuse. I then removed the battery and found it was down to about 8v. After about 19 hours on the Optimate I reinstalled it and the bike started fine. So my immediate problem's solved, but if a fuse did blow I'd be stuck. (I suspect the battery was flattened by a short from the Heath Robinson set up I use for the gps.)

I've searched this forum, and Googled, to try and discover why I can't get the fuse box cover off. All I can find is that there should be catches top and bottom, and that squeezing's the answer. I can't find anything resembling a catch, and I've squeezed as hard as I could. Can anyone think of an explanation (apart from me being puny/thick :) )?

fred_jb

Bike wouldn't show any signs of life, when I turned the ignition key, a couple of days ago. I thought a fuse must be blown, as it seemed unlikely that the battery would suddenly have gone flat. I tried to remove the fuse box cover, to the left of the battery, but try as I might I couldn't get it off. I also couldnt disconnect the connector from the main fuse. I then removed the battery and found it was down to about 8v. After about 19 hours on the Optimate I reinstalled it and the bike started fine. So my immediate problem's solved, but if a fuse did blow I'd be stuck. (I suspect the battery was flattened by a short from the Heath Robinson set up I use for the gps.)

I've searched this forum, and Googled, to try and discover why I can't get the fuse box cover off. All I can find is that there should be catches top and bottom, and that squeezing's the answer. I can't find anything resembling a catch, and I've squeezed as hard as I could. Can anyone think of an explanation (apart from me being puny/thick :) )?

There is definitely a latch - though I can't remember if at both ends or just one.  Try shining a powerful light on it and you might be able see where to squeeze in the right place to release it.

Fred

Edited by fred_jb

There is definitely a latch - though I can't remember if at both ends or just one.  Try shining a powerful light on it and you might be able see where to squeeze in the right place to release it.

Fred

Latch is on top only.

6DffNhm.png

Its none of these "obvious when its off" things - but like me you are challenged!

i tried sweezing the wife's top - but nothing popped off either!

• Like 1

I would not dismiss the battery as just dying .

On my Nc700 x it was running fine with no problems at all when I put it in the garage after work .

Opened the garage in the morning turned the key and nothing at all.

Some of the cells had gone and the battery was only reading 4amps, Honda replaced it under warranty.

• Like 1
Englishman

Had the bike been left for a long time and in a low ambient condition?  In cold weather some batteries suffer from the following (compliments of the RAC web site)

Cold temperatures affect the chemical process inside the battery that produces and stores electricity, effectively slowing it down and reducing the battery’s ability to hold the charge. Older, weaker batteries will typically already have reduced performance and cold temperatures will often drastically reduce this further, to the point where the battery will discharge or go flat very quickly

Scootabout

The battery seems ok after its charging session.

Thanks for the comments about latches and where to squeeze. However, atm I feel I tried everything. Maybe that means that next time I try it'll pop off with no problem...

Guest sykospain

I must admit that removing the fuse box lid certainly did seem very un-obvious the first time I tried.  But people are perfectly correct above - as is the drawing and instructions in the Owner's Book.  Just ferkle your forefinger or the flat blade of a 'driver into the tiny gap on top of the lid, Press & Hold the flexible plastic moulding downwards and pull the top edge of the lid away.

Mind you, getting it to go back on properly took me two cups of tea and a lot of head-scratching.  I had meantime tried to make a little film of the operation so I could put it up on here, but simply couldn't get the small Go-Pro into the cramped space inside the frunk in my other hand to let the lens take a proper look.

What a lot of fuss for a simple job like taking a plastic lid off ! !

And a battery monitor / smart charger is an essential accessory.  Those "Ring" people in Leeds used to market a better value-for-money product than Optimate.

Edited by sykospain
  • 2 weeks later...
Scootabout

As far as I can see this fuse box cover does nothing except keep a bit of dust off the fuses. Considering how important it could be in the event of a breakdown to access it, it astonishes me that Honda hasn't managed to make it easier to remove. Are you listening, Honda?

I haven't got round to trying again yet, but at least the battery hasn't gone flat again yet.

• 9 months later...
Guest Richlybow
On 3/10/2016 at 22:16, Scootabout said:

As far as I can see this fuse box cover does nothing except keep a bit of dust off the fuses. Considering how important it could be in the event of a breakdown to access it, it astonishes me that Honda hasn't managed to make it easier to remove. Are you listening, Honda?

I haven't got round to trying again yet, but at least the battery hasn't gone flat again yet.

Have just tried to access mine for the first time today an had exactly the same problem.  I didnt want to force anything when ive no idea how it locates. Anyway, reading this thread has helped considerably. :wacko:

Guest CharlieDelta

Same problem for me.

As Skyospain says: big flat bladed screwdriver, insert on the top about an inch to where the serrations show in the picture above, press down on the top, grab cover with other hand and wiggle and off it pops.

Having had mine off quite a few times i dont think its engaging properly any more. But as Scoot says its only a dust cover anyway.