De-greasing

suffolk58
Go to solution Solved by TheEnglishman,

bazza

I would have one Bazza..

what about a sheet of 2mm fibre glass cut to fit the sides, it could be sticky taped to a bit of plastic water/elec cable conduit and glassed over to form the shape..

May have a go....

Lyn.

You can mock one up in thin card,thick paper or as you say thin glass fibre.Or even thin metal -maybre even stainless to get the basic shape.

i am got geeky enough but surely this is a job for these 3D printers we are hearing about now? Come on Ted -you are the tecchie- what the best answer?

bazza

The biggest issue with anything like this is the product liability aspect. That's why I don't get into making things like this for other folk. It only needs one person to have something break and lock the back wheel and ............................

It only makes sense for limited companies to do this sort of thing.

Yes I know- we designed and manufactured our own oil burners for agas - reckon it cost me £50K and 10 years of my life -but we did it and it worked- but not enough demand for "economies of scale" making it a viable buy.However if no one ever tries anything new -like a DCT - then we wouldn't progress- or regress back to something MZ made all those years ago.Something along the lines of hugger thickness would be good -and we have read the threads about the rear wheel spray not being shielded properly.So maybe a hugger combined chain guard would work??

Andy m

The MZ enclosure is hard injection moulded plastic round the rear sprocket in the form of a pan like hugger. There are gaps maybe 1mm wide. At the end of the C shape it becomes a pair of box sections. The tubes begin as rubbery bellows, become semi flexible boxes and end in more bellows. They are one piece mouldings, pretty trick for a cabbage based economy in 1975. On the back of the engine case are more flanges then an enclosed compartment with half bulkheads before the front sprocket.

This is half the genius of the design, you fill the sleve with grease and the chain lubes itself. Every other piston change you empty the grease trap. The bellows mean it is vibration proof, unlike metal attempts from Honda and Velocette. The soft bellows on hard flanges let it lightly seal, so everything inside stays clean.

Add on designs failed before because the engine on these bourgeoise capitalist designs have no flange. I bet modern adhesives would let you add one. Two mouldings and a casting would cost a fair few of your Imperialist pounds unless you provided every worker with a set though.

Comrade Andy

(fist held firmly to his temple and singing the Red Flag while sniffing 2-smoke oil)

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
kayz1

I rebuilt an engine from a Russian Voskod ( or some thing like that ) for a mate of mine, i sent me the workshop manual  :cry:  for what it was worth. In it i spotted the chain run as you have shown, very neat the rear plastic part over the back end of the rear sprocket clipped on to make possible to fit the chain link.  Very neat indeed.

Lyn.

Tex

Looks to be better than nothing though Tex....have you fitted one to your bike >

No, matey, because it actually isn't better than nothing! I've spent many (un)happy hours on wet motorways watching the effects of rain on friend's machines with exposed chains. In a nutshell, the rain floats grit, dirt, and all sorts of undesirable shit, to the surface. The rear tyre then flings it on the exposed area of the chain behind the engine. The poor chain operates under impossible conditions - like working in a grit blasting cabinet with added filth - and no chain oiler can help. All the time it's raining the water is blasting off any lube on the outside of the chain. Of course, when it stops raining the oiler then lubes the chain back up again, which is better than nothing.  

Next time it rains and there's a bike near you check it out. I'm right.

Interestingly, a friend with a belt driven BMW used to swear his bike ran smoother in the rain, because the water lubricated the belt.

Guest sykospain

Interesting - and yes Tex, I agree about the Scarver drive running better and smoother in the rain 'cos of the extra lubrication.

Before it went back to the UK after 5 years here as my sunshine runabout, I changed the belt according to the maintenance schedule for a new one - 300 snoojits for a fifty-buck Gates belt, priced courtesy of BMW's exclusive deal with Gates USA who won't sell you one direct -  after the original belt had done about 25K miles and showed not the trace of a sign of wear.

Middle son Tim fell off the Scarver in the Manchester iced-up tramline a fortnight ago - hope he's doing well sourcing replacement parts !

So basically you wouldn't ever go along with the idea of ordering a Rossocromo chain-guard for the NC "S" ?

I have done 52.000 km so far, OEM chain with Rossocromo chain-guard and Tutoro oiler.

Though I agree with Tex, I tend to think the chain-guard has helped a bit to keep the chain clean and make it last.

• Like 1
Tex

Well, Alan, I would have said 'no chance' . But Marte's experience would suggest I'd be wrong. You can't argue with the results he's getting!

Maybe the best way to get long chain life is move to sunny Spain? :)

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

We moved to live here in sunny Spain 15 years ago when the average was 300 days a year of sun.  Now for the past week or so we've had the "Manchester sky" - grey, depressing and unbroken cloud - whilst you at home have 27 degrees.  Daft.

But seriously, we're biting our nails now in fear of the Brits at home voting next month for exiting from the EU and turning all us ex-pats ( 5 million of us living in various parts of Europe ) into the equivalent of Philipinos or Azerbijanis.

Met a BBC cameraman/reporter on the playa yesterday touting among passing ex-pats for their views on said issue.  Overheard one knot-head saying, "Yes, we'd be better off leaving; it's all those immigrants that's the problem."

It clearly didn't occur to the pathetic bozo that HE is an immigrant.

Edited by sykospain
Tex

I have a son living in Berlin, he, too, is worried. As am I, the bugger might want to come home! :)

God knows where it's all going to end, the uncertainty alone has caused the pound to drop. Fingers crossed for sanity, eh?