How much oil between bottom and top mark on dipstick?

GerJ

This is what I cannot find in the owner's manual: how much oil (pref. on a metric scale) does it take to fill up from the bottom to the top mark on the oil dipstick? 2016 NC750X DCT.

Tex

Interesting question. And one I don't know the answer to (although there's nothing unusual about that, sadly). Why do you need to know? If your oil level is on the bottom line (after running the engine for a few moments) I would just add sufficient oil to take it (say) half way between there and the upper one. Overfilling is as bad as under filled, btw.

DaveM59

It is not stated anywhere but typically it will be between 250ml and 500ml.

Giving it more thought...

The book says the oil should be 'between the two marks' so my guess is it's the tolerance percentage that is acceptable and with a total oil volume of 3.4 litres a 10% tolerance would be 340ml and probably if filled to the upper mark at a service should never drop low enough to need topping up before the next service.

I virtually never bother keep checking mine between oil changes once I know that oil consumption is not an issue with my engine.

A good engine well (hard) run in should not burn oil, though some is bound to be lost from the upper cylinder walls but it is minimal, possibly 5-8mm on the dipstick over 8000 miles, what you shouldn't see is zero loss on the dipstick or even a slight rise in level as that indicates pollutants are adding to the oil such as unburned fuel or even coolant.

Edited by DaveM59
Guest bonekicker

I as Dave -- never check my oil levels--if no white smoke from exhaust and no oil drips--I know the levels are ok--and leave it to the service times for oil and filter change  :ermm:

Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked is that my wife's previous bike (CB seven fifty) consumed about 1 l per 8,000 kms, and my BMW boxers have been the same. (Next to) zero oil consumption will be a new experience. By the way, Honda has been over-generous, since the new NC750XD seems to be filled well above the top mark, but I checked it with the engine cold,

Edited by GerJ
  • Like 1
ScaredyCat

Certainly on the 700x the procedure is to run the engine for about 5 minutes, let it rest for 3 and then measure on the side stand. 

just remember to check for any slope in the surface your bike is on otherwise you'll be panicking because there's no oil in it or too much :)

Guest technophebe

Certainly on the 700x the procedure is to run the engine for about 5 minutes, let it rest for 3 and then measure on the side stand.

On the 750x (perhaps the 700 is different), my understanding is that the bike should be level, on a center or paddock stand, for correct measurement.

I recently did an oil and filter change and using the amount specified in the manual (I think 3.4l?) measured fairly precisely, I ended up with oil in the correct position on the dipstick, with the bike on a paddock stand. As I recall the manual isn't incredible clear on this, it says the bike should be "upright" or something like that, but I think it's centre not side.

Edited by technophebe
embee

Definitely upright, not on the side stand. The Integra is the only model with the centrestand as original equipment and the handbook says set oil level with the bike on the centrestand.

Warm oil, stop engine and allow to drain down for a couple of minutes, check oil with dipstick resting square on the threads, NOT screwed in.

• Like 1
ScaredyCat

On the 750x (perhaps the 700 is different), my understanding is that the bike should be level, on a center or paddock stand, for correct measurement.

No, I'm just wrong. The manual says: 

1.  If the engine is cold, idle the engine for 3 to 5 minutes.
  2.  Turn the ignition switch off, stop the engine and wait 2 to 3 minutes.
  3.  Place your motorcycle in an upright position on a firm, level surface.
  4.  Remove the oil fill cap/dipstick and wipe it clean.
  5.  Insert the oil fill cap/dipstick until it seats, but don’t screw it in. Check that the oil level is between the upper and lower level marks in the oil fill cap/dipstick.
  6.  Securely install the oil fill cap/dipstick.

I have no idea why I have it stuck in my head that it should be on the sidestand. 

• Like 1
Tonyj

All this talk about oil has made me feel guilty , not enough to bother checking mind :0) .

I've never checked the oil in old Nancy ( one carful owner springs to mind) in between services . It's currently on 24k and will be getting a service to refresh said fluid.

The only bike that used any oil of note was my vtr Storm, this was about 0.5 ltr per 1k and this was mostly ragged as a Sunday fun bike

But as I've said I've not checked so hoping it isn't bone dry :0)

When recently doing the rounds to renew my main bike I went into a ktm dealers. Both the demo and a new bike were dropping oil onto the shop floor :0( , I pointed it out to the young but inexperienced salesman, whose reply was the mechanics have probably overfilled it. Did make me smile as he just rubbished the service department with this comment and the new bike I said ? He quietly wiped it up :0))

Ended up with another honda, no oil leaks possibly because it doesn't have any oil left in it :0)

I will now check and report back . It'll probably under a new thread " my engines dead " :0)

• Like 1
bazza

Ask any car driver (who knows how to open the bonnet) to park on level ground, start his motor, leave it for 3 minutes, switch it off then wait one minute before pulling out the dipstick,wipe it and then push it ina nd recheck - he would laugh at you!

OK we don't have 8 pints or more sloshing about but why all the fuss- what was wrong with the viewing window?

• Like 1
ScaredyCat

what was wrong with the viewing window?

Some of us are at an age when crawling around on the floor needs to be a planned event. Perhaps Honda had them in mind ;)

• Like 5
embee

It's a bit like temperature gauges and oil pressure gauges, if the machine doesn't need one why fit one? If it doesn't use oil why fuss about how the level is checked? Almost like greasing suspension ball joints on cars, why make them so they need servicing if you can make them so they don't? Coolant temp gauges have maybe made a bit of a comeback because modern systems measure the temp anyway for engine management, so a gauge on an LCD display is a trivial detail.

A dipstick on the filler plug is a cheaper solution than a window, the plug has to be there anyway so all it requires is a short piece of metal rod fixed in it.

OK, that's slightly tongue in cheek, but in essence that's the logic behind a lot of decision making regarding what gets included in a design. It was the philosophy behind not fitting oil drain plugs to some engines (e.g Smart) and using vacuum systems to remove old oil. If the engine is designed for that system it seems a good idea, no drain plug to machine and install, no access required to it, no possibility of leaks or plugs coming loose, and friendly to the technician doing the oil change. The downfall of that idea is that if you don't have the vac equipment you can't drain the oil, so out in the real world it's seriously flawed.

My Suzuki has a window and it does indeed make checking the oil level quick and easy, but neither it nor my Hondas use any oil worth mentioning, so .................

Edited by embee
DaveM59

Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked is that my wife's previous bike (CB seven fifty) consumed about 1 l per 8,000 kms, and my BMW boxers have been the same. (Next to) zero oil consumption will be a new experience. By the way, Honda has been over-generous, since the new NC750XD seems to be filled well above the top mark, but I checked it with the engine cold,

Did you buy them both new, or used?

If new and you run them in, maybe you were too soft on them and failed to bet them run in before the first oil change. Don't be too gentle, ride normally, engines that are not run in properly are always prone to using oil.

DaveM59, on 05 Jun 2016 - 4:04 PM, said:DaveM59, on 05 Jun 2016 - 4:04 PM, said:

Did you buy them both new, or used?

If new and you run them in, maybe you were too soft on them and failed to bet them run in before the first oil change. Don't be too gentle, ride normally, engines that are not run in properly are always prone to using oil.

First one bought new and run in too gently, second one bought used at 60,000 kms, third and latest one new and run in vigorously. Odometer now at 20,000 kms and oil consumption should reduce from about 30,000 kms on.

Edited by GerJ
DaveM59

I get a bit obsessed with running in. It bothers me when I read or hear of owners buying new bikes and then being too easy on them and potentially not doing a good job or it. Especially when they are the type that never keeps any bike for long before chopping it in for a new one as they will never suffer the consequences of a soft motor.

I will probably never buy another new bike so I always have to inherit a pre-run in machine and I'd far rather have one that was run in thoroughly and vigorously and not pottered about under 3000 rpm until it's first service. That's why high mileage bikes are better for me as you can assess their condition as much by the ratio of owners to miles it has done as anything else.

One owner:50,000 miles is a far better bet than 6 owners:10,000 miles.