Garage fitted wrong sprockets to DCT

maoleoin

If you ever move Sussex direction please get in touch as I run my own m/cycle wshop near Arundel , kettles always on ! 16 tooth front is on the 700 17 on the 750 , I have two NCs

What's the address, matey? I might well look you up next time I'm over that way.

Defender

As a slight aside, I was of the understanding that the DCT versions, certainly the 700 would only work correctly with the standard sized sprockets front and rear, any change from that would screw it up?

As a slight aside, I was of the understanding that the DCT versions, certainly the 700 would only work correctly with the standard sized sprockets front and rear, any change from that would screw it up?

Well, that would seem to be the case. I'm not sure why, mostly because I don't fully understand how the DCT makes the decisions about which gear to engage at which point! It's obviously more complex than simple revs and throttle position (which I had assumed was how it worked) and there must be a 'speed' element too. By changing the sprockets it's not doing the correct speed to match the revs (or, it's not doing the speed it's expecting) and so it holds onto the gear.

I do know that in 'S' and on WOT it doesn't select 6th until the far side of 100mph. Unless you're a serving police officer, in which case I made that last bit up. :)

• Like 1
Defender

I do know that in 'S' and on WOT it doesn't select 6th until the far side of 100mph. Unless you're a serving police officer, in which case I made that last bit up. :)

Pehaps you were practicing for the next TT?

• Like 1
Guest phantom309

well spoken to the dealer today, and they apologised for mistake an will replace as soon as new correct parts arrive...so happy ending ...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phantom309

up date on my story.. new correct sprockets fitted , and i can confirm my DCT computer is now happy again...and so am i.... 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joeling914

up date on my story.. new correct sprockets fitted , and i can confirm my DCT computer is now happy again...and so am i.... 

hi phantom;

i'm new to the gearing thing especially the combination of 43/17 down to 39/16.  When the DCT computer is "happy", does it mean there is no need to do anything to it.  How about the pickup & gasoline consumption, is the bike "happy" too?  I've the 750XA DCT too but worry that i might mess it up.

Guest sykospain

Maybe the dealer hasn't done / won't do

( note the nice difference in the tense of participles - who said English was easy ? )

an

ECU

re-set.

Here's how on a COLD motorcycle:-

"Disconnect the battery neg terminal for about 30mins.......

When you've finished the cup of tea and slice of fruit cake, reconnect.

Start the engine WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE.

Run the bike on the centre stand at idle UNTIL THE FAN KICKS IN - takes around 15 mins.

( 3 mins in Andalucía )

Stop the motor using the KILL SWITCH, not the ignition key off-switch.

Wait for a short time with the dash lit up (circa 30sec or until you finish your 2nd slice of fruit cake)

Turn the ignition-key switch off.

Reset the kill switch..Turn on the ignition key. Push the starter. Job done."

Edited by sykospain
Guest phantom309

hi phantom;

i'm new to the gearing thing especially the combination of 43/17 down to 39/16.  When the DCT computer is "happy", does it mean there is no need to do anything to it.  How about the pickup & gasoline consumption, is the bike "happy" too?  I've the 750XA DCT too but worry that i might mess it up.

No need to do anything if you have còrrect sprokets fitted.
larryblag

I would've checked each with its replacement before fitting by either placing them back-to-back, counting said teeth or noticing the number of teeth is usually stamped on the face.

Also, i'd have requested they fetch the bike or at the very least compensated me (can of ACF50 for example) its bad form either way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Ronin

If you ever move Sussex direction please get in touch as I run my own m/cycle wshop near Arundel , kettles always on ! 16 tooth front is on the 700 17 on the 750 , I have two NCs

I can vouch for the quality of Mark's work, he actually spotted I had the wrong size sprockets fitted on my DCT by an official Honda dealer!

At first I noticed a reduction in top in end, I would say I lost about 10+mph and it took some getting used to, but I gained a bit more grunt in the bottom which works well for me but more importantly I'm glad I am using the correct size sprockets now.

Edited by The Ronin
larryblag

That's really odd. I would have assumed that the ECU would trigger an up shift based purely on revs and throttle opening. Blowed if I can see how a change in overall gearing would affect that. But it would seem that it does! How strange.

Just thinking about this again and yes, it is odd indeed. If the road speed was reported to the ECU via the old fashioned drive from the front wheel that might explain it, but I'll bet the speed sensing is via the usual hall effect device behind the front sprocket. And even then, engine revs are separately monitored (using the ignition). Plus, the software probably takes other information tol including throttle opening etc.