Rear Wheel bearings kaput.

dandemann8

dandemann8

Well with just shy of 10,000 miles I've found out my rear wheel bearings are shot. I love my NC but since purchasing I've had to fight with Honda to replace the poor quality tyres they chose to use, a recall for the speedo, an upgrade of the front and rear suspension at my expense. In general Hondas quality is second to non but they really seem to have made the NC on the cheap disregarding the most important elements of a quality motorcycle build. Just ordered new bearings so that will be done this week, on the plus side a long weekend to Devon last week resulted in 94.5 mpg and that is why I love my NC :)

• Like 2
kayz1

You seem to have been lucky as i could not get a help with the crap Dunlop tyres and mine were gone in 1300 miles.

Guest bonekicker

dandemann8 yes it is annoying --these silly penny cost cutting are not keeping Honda's long great reputation any good at all-- do you have to pay for them yourself?? have Honda not sorted you out-- but it is really the supplying garage who have the right to say Yes or No to any warranty claim--- :frantics:  

lyn -- Why after all the complaints and settlements for the crap tyres did Honda again -- not sort you out-- you can not be left out of the replacement tyres scenario -- did your supplying garage not back you up  ??? there are many pm's on the subject on this forum --- please do not give up-- even though you have already changed your tyres at your own expense-- if you need any help please ask--either I -- or someone more clever--er--er --will help you.  :ermm:

dandemann8

Unfortunately out of warranty by three months, thankfully a pretty straight forward job to do and not to expensive :)

• Like 1

There has been quite a lot said on the subject of bearing failure. When you get the replacements, are you going for the Honda ones or aftermarket from a bearing supplier? If the latter, ask them to supply good quality bearings and you shouldn't have any further premature failures.

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

dandemann8 I thought someone was bragging once --just how Honda had replaced---- a part even though it was well out out warranty--but saying that -- Honda seem not to want to replace anything even under warranty-- it is confusing isn't it--- isn't it???  :baby:

dandemann8

dandemann8 I thought someone was bragging once --just how Honda had replaced---- a part even though it was well out out warranty--but saying that -- Honda seem not to want to replace anything even under warranty-- it is confusing isn't it--- isn't it???  :baby:

Not even contacted Honda, parts ordered and hopefully arrive for fitting tomorrow. Currently looking at the V-Strom 650XT as a replacement but wont get the mpg of the NC :(

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

But do other manufacturers not have the same quality and warranty issues-- or is it just normal practise by them all to fit slightly inferior parts and play hard ball at warranty claims?? :ermm:

Rocker66

I don't see how stating that Honda replaced parts out of warranty can be classed as bragging as it is just a statement of fact. Yes Honda replaced the frame on sue's Hornet several months out of warranty and we have never had a warranty claim refused. If you have a genuine case a decent dealer and approach them in a reasonable manner there shouldn't be a problem

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Why --could you think for one second I would remember it was you? I really can't remember what I had for my dinner yesterday. :ermm:  

Tonyj

Stop bragging rocker about your warranty claim :0)

Egg and chips boney

• Like 1
Rocker66

Stop bragging rocker about your warranty claim :0)

Egg and chips boney

FFS How is it bragging?????. Nothing to do with me Sue's claim  and dealership and Honda UK dealt with it

Tonyj

See, your off again. name dropping that you know honda :0)

• Like 2
rjp996

Mine went at 28k miles and about one year - dealer said wear and tear - no warranty :-(

There's an interesting article on bearings in the current issue of Bike.  I had no idea that the code number stamped on the bearing has a meaning.  For example, if the first of four numbers is a 6 it denotes a single row of bearings.  A 5 signifies a double row.

Here's a more detailed explanation that educated members (which therefore excludes me) may find of interest:

http://www.engineerstudent.co.uk/bearing_numbers_explained.html

Not sure how it relates to the NC's wheel bearings.  Have Honda fitted bearings that are badly made or just bearings which are not designed for coping with the rear wheel on a 700/750cc motorcycle?

According to Bike the reliable brands are SKF, FAG, Kyoto and NKE.

• Like 1

Not sure how it relates to the NC's wheel bearings.  Have Honda fitted bearings that are badly made or just bearings which are not designed for coping with the rear wheel on a 700/750cc motorcycle?

According to Bike the reliable brands are SKF, FAG, Kyoto and NKE.

Hmmm, not sure we can say that the bearings aren't up to the job. Otherwise they would all fail and most don't. There are loads of bikes that have done high mileages on the original bearings..

Lots of things can cause premature failure of bearings, including over enthusiastic washing or use of a jet wash.

Sometimes, obviously, a 'bad' bearing will get through quality control and the manufacturer (whoever it may be) will fit it in good faith.

There is no such thing as as a 'perfect' vehicle (just as well, or the AA would go out of business and what about my pension then?) and Duncan's list is hardly damning! :)

• Like 2
Guest hirsute1956

Otherwise they would all fail and most don't. There are loads of bikes that have done high mileages on the original bearings..

Straw Poll

My rear bearing replaced at 18.5k

Tonyj

Mine under warranty 14.5k

Just as well you boys weren't riding Ducatis in the 70's, you'd have been changing crankshafts at those miles! :D

• Like 1
Tonyj

In relation to the theory that its power washing etc , this may well have been a causal and in some cases the actual reason they fail , but for me where I have used a power washer for every other bike I've owned , I don't feel this was the reason.

The bearing quality may have been questionable ? the installation process or fitter error at the replacement of new parts a factor in the early demise of what has been said a lifetime part.

Mine started making a clacking noise at about 8k thought it was the chain so tightened it . Probably promoted the wear :0) all said and done water must be getting in and resulting in premature wear.

Some things like I only have a side stand . Rubbish seal etc . Water may be entering that way but this has got to be a very slim chance , I now have adopted the stoic approach . bearing failed , get new bearings :0)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine went at 19000 miles., last Tuesday.  

Had to get picked up from the Millau visitors center  125 euro, taxi 12 euro, hotel 2 nights 204 euro, fitting and part 107  euro.  Bike 5 months out of warranty.

Mo.

Sorry to hear that, Mo. That could really spoil your holiday!! :(

Slowboy

Only just come across this, for info mine are still the originals at 25k. Chains knackered though.......

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of years back I Had the the rear bearings go on my NC700X at around 15,000 and I changed them for SKF explorer bearings I then chopped the bike in for an NC750X, Yesterday on a 300 mile round trip had a rear bearing failure on the 750. I've already got new bearings in the garage so that'll be todays job but I will have a chat with the dealer as this shouldn't happen and the bike is still in warranty,