Rear Wheel bearings kaput.

dandemann8

Guest sykospain

Son Tim supervising a large fleet of heavy BMW patrol bikes, reiterates that his only real continuing headache maintenance-wise with all his extremely costly bikes is people who unauthorisedly ( ¿ Is there such a word ? ) take the bike to a power-wash station in the firm's time and blast away at the crud they should never have managed to get on the bike in the first place.

Chasing drug dealers across unmade tracks, etc., on an unsuitable patrol bike.  Their excuse is often that they can no longer call-in a helicopter airstrike 'cos of the continuing austerity cutbacks.

That jetwashing habit really and truly f***s-up the drivetrain, suspension components, electrics, etc.  In every BMW rider's handbook there's a big full-page warning NEVER to jetwash.....

Edited by sykospain
Guest machinman

A couple of years back I Had the the rear bearings go on my NC700X at around 15,000 and I changed them for SKF explorer bearings I then chopped the bike in for an NC750X, Yesterday on a 300 mile round trip had a rear bearing failure on the 750. I've already got new bearings in the garage so that'll be todays job but I will have a chat with the dealer as this shouldn't happen and the bike is still in warranty,

What's the milage of your bearing failure on the 750 if you don't mind me asking.
Andy m

Many years since I bought bearings, but you can spec waterproof and sealed in many sizes. They use different grease and closer fitting seals. The fact the manufactures hide behind the user manual is a bit of a joke. In the small print I wonder if it tells you not to take it out of the crate as well?

Plods purchasing policy is mental. BMW RT with luggage full of batteries and fire fighting kit vs. Kid on an TWOC'd XT 125 clone, my money isn't going on the lardy tourer. If they bought 250's they'd have more money for the helicopter. Still, only girls ride under a litre.

Andy

Many years since I bought bearings, but you can spec waterproof and sealed in many sizes. They use different grease and closer fitting seals. The fact the manufactures hide behind the user manual is a bit of a joke. In the small print I wonder if it tells you not to take it out of the crate as well?

Plods purchasing policy is mental. BMW RT with luggage full of batteries and fire fighting kit vs. Kid on an TWOC'd XT 125 clone, my money isn't going on the lardy tourer. If they bought 250's they'd have more money for the helicopter. Still, only girls ride under a litre.

Andy

not if you turbo it, then you can ride a girls bikes

what you aint allowed to wash a bmw ? that don't sound to clever. there is a certain irony to a bike thats shits itself when it gets a wash down , you just have to be carful. like eating a hot curry :0)

Edited by Tonyj
  • Like 1

Hiya Lafies & gents after some info want some good front and rear sts  aftermarket replacement wheel bearings (not honda oem)for a 2015 nc750xae anybody know the type size  and wear to buy from ? 

thanks in anticipation  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my rear wheel bearing changed, they were shot after 33,000 miles in 2 1/2 years so not bad. Along with 2 new spark plugs a new battery, new pair of michelin pilot road 2s front break pads apart from that the bike is running fine...!!! Another 67000 miles to the magic 100,000

• Like 1
Guest Stevie67

Well I've just reached 24,000 miles on my NC700x and I needed a new rear wheel bearing for my MOT. I'm also looking at new fork seals as well over the winter and I had the chain and sprockets replaced at 14,000 miles. Honda are building these bikes to their strict assembly acceptance criteria but in the effort to reduce costs and offer a cost competitive bike they have sourced parts from low cost areas such as China. The sprockets are probably made of recycled steel and the plastic parts are possibly re-cycled as well. My way of thinking is that parts will wear out, and when they do I will replace them with aftermarket parts such as the renthal / DID chain and sprocket set I had fitted. The rear wheel bearing I had fitted wasn't Honda and the fork seals won't be either. They'll be aftermarket, cheaper and possibly of better quality.

I work in manufacturing and in the current climate the mass market is looking for low cost. The high quality / cost market is very small and select.

The high quality / cost market is very small and select.

George Brough found that out. So did Phil Vincent, both went bust.

People want cheap bikes. That's what the makers give them.

Guest Stevie67

It'll be interesting to see how the new Brough Superior SS100 which is being made in Toulouse fairs in this market. A friend of mine was lucky enough to buy a Norton Dominator SS and he has had no end of problems with the Norton factory. Basically he's had to resort to legal action to try and get the bike he was promised.

Hiya Lafies & gents after some info want some good front and rear sts  aftermarket replacement wheel bearings (not honda oem)for a 2015 nc750xae anybody know the type size  and wear to buy from ? 

thanks in anticipation   :thumbsup:

Guest sykospain

Why would anybody want to buy an artificially updated Brough Superior SS100 2016 for fifty grand ?  Only the more-money-than-sense brigade.  Poseurs...

653910d3-187f-40e1-b881-e7aec46b8a03_zps

Edited by sykospain
Rocker66

Why would anybody want to buy an artificially updated Brough Superior SS100 2016 for fifty grand ?  Only the more-money-than-sense brigade.  Poseurs...

653910d3-187f-40e1-b881-e7aec46b8a03_zps

Or those that believe it will be a better investment for the future than having the money in the bank

Slowboy

Good point Rocker, a Morbidelli V8 would set you back a few bob now (awfully ugly, even in its updated guise) and so would a Bimota VDue, and they were truly unreliable when they were new, so bad in fact they hastened the demise of the company.

Brian

ScaredyCat

Just out of interest

a) Who has a 700 and the bearings have failed?

B) Who has a 750 and the bearings have failed? 

Rocker66

Good point Rocker, a Morbidelli V8 would set you back a few bob now (awfully ugly, even in its updated guise) and so would a Bimota VDue, and they were truly unreliable when they were new, so bad in fact they hastened the demise of the company.

Brian

Bimota are still producing bikes

http://www.bimota.uk.com/

Guest sykospain

I remember investing in classic cars - then the bottom dropped out of THAT market....but the fact is, the remade Brough has a radiator in order to cool the jacketed V-twin;  there's absolutely no way that it looks anything like the real air-cooled antique on which T.E. Lawrence came a cropper.

Last-but-one time I was on the Santander ferry, among the 80 bikes on that sailing was a genuine 1929 Brough Superior which the guy said he'd insured for sixty-five grand.  Now that makes sense.

I remember drooling over Lawrence's Brought at the Imperial War Museum. It was then fairly recently removed as it was deemed no longer historically valid. Shame he's not around now he might be able to give IZAL a run for their money.

My 750 bearings are fine. But my mileage is pathetically low and I expect to die before they do (sigh).

Guest machinman

Just out of interest

a) Who has a 700 and the bearings have failed?

B) Who has a 750 and the bearings have failed?

Good so far at 16000 miles, though expecting them to expire soon.

My 750X`s bearing are on 18,500 miles, checking them weekly as I do 450 miles per week !