Service costs, update, too pricey?

Guest chickenflaps

fj_stuart

What's a FSH worth? - I don't know but it reminds me of a conversation I had  with the owner of an independent bike shop. We were talking about servicing and he said that, to keep costs down and with the agreement of the bike owner, he would do the service but not check the valves. The service book would be stamped as if they had been. I was of the opinion that this was good place and thought it weird that the guy would say this.

Cheers for the info New, it offered a glimmer of hope, I wanted to stop spannering as I've done it all my life, it would be nice to say "here you are I will collect it a four " Problem is when you have done the job in the past and know how long it takes to do and having short arms and deep pockets it stings to be charged in some cases a weeks wages for a mornings work. Plus I wanted to support the little guy a bit, as he has been helpful in the past lending pullers and such like.

Checking the shims or valves is one of those odd jobs. I did the buckets and shims on my z1000 as per the book, as the miles racked up, in those days if you had to adjust a shim you had to take the old one in to a friendly dealer and buy a thicker or thinner one as required, but they were not expensive and 9 times out of 10 nothing much was needed. However on my Guzzi it was a feeler gauge, a spanner and a screw driver and although it only took half an hour to do both sides they always needed adjustment. My last Honda was all hydraulic adjustment so all I had to do was change the oil and coolant and balance the carbs once in a blue moon.

So maybe the dealer knew they didn't need as much attention as the book suggested, The old Guzzi certainly needed them checked. It always ran and always got me to my destination but if it rained you never knew which cylinder would go AWOL left or right but never both.

• 4 weeks later...
Wedgepilot

I just got quoted £265 all-in for my 8k service (700X DCT). It's the same Honda dealer I bought it from.

They are just down the road from where I work, so it's very convenient, but I'm not sure if it's *that* convenient! Will try ringing around.

trisaki

Shame you're  not closer to Sussex  I could do it for approximately  £130 at my wshop near arundel including both ! filters unlike dealers who only change the one  / genuine Honda filters used  - pm me if you  want to talk it through  

• Like 1
Wedgepilot

Thanks for the offer, if I was down that way I would definitely take you up. 

I rang around, and found a Yamaha dealer near where I live who also services other makes - £127 all in :) Was happy to handle a DCT bike as well.

MikeBike
7 hours ago, Wedgepilot said:

I just got quoted £265 all-in for my 8k service (700X DCT). It's the same Honda dealer I bought it from.

... Will try ringing around.

OMG! Glad you rang around and found anouther dealer, £130 is about the same as I paid.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1
Guest sykospain

When I brought my new UK NC to Spain 15 months ago, the dealer told me that so long as I had it serviced with genuine Honda parts at a bona fide motorcycle workshop who stamped my book at the required intervals, the Honda warranty would be honoured.  I've confirmed this with Honda-Montesa, the Honda Motorcycles national subsidiary in Spain, sodding Brexit notwithstanding.  There was no issue in either country of the workhop in question being registered for IVA.

For the 13K Km ( approx 8K miles ) service which was filmed, Motospeed charged me fifty snoojits plus the Honda filter parts that I bought from him.

Edited by sykospain