Engine oil

Guest Cavallo

MikeBike

10w-40 is as used by my honda dealer in their services.

Dunnster
1 hour ago, Cavallo said:

Hi, has anyone tired 10w-40 engine oil although Honda recommends 10w-30? 

I notice your in Malta, 10w-40 probably be better for you where it's a bit warmer than here in heatwave England :console: the manual I've got says to use either 10w-30 or 10w-40

ive used 10w-30 on my last 2 oil changes, going to use 10w-40 next time. I read somewhere that Honda only recommended 

10w-30 to help with MPG figures. Don't know how true that is. 

Our dealer uses 10W40 synthetic, probably because that's what they pour into all the other bikes they service (Honda, KTM, Triumph). My wife notices no difference.

DaveM59

One multi franchise/lots of used of all makes dealer I visit has two identical big red unmarked oil drums in the corner and everything they work on seems to get the same oil from these drums. They have a few smaller drums of speciality oils for competition bikes and classics.

I think we as owners get too anal about brands and SAE numbers. 99% of road engines will work and survive extremely well on a range of oils and the manufacturer only gives a guide which is somewhere in the middle of the range they are happy with. This spec is adjusted in the documentation to the environment and weather that particular bike is sold in, as that has more bearing than what the motor typically requires.

Edited by DaveM59
  • Like 3

By and large, Dave, I think you make good points. And I agree. We can now await howls of protest from those who would only dream of using 'XYZ 10W-30.5'  :)

Edit: At this point I should 'own up' to a preference for Castrol products. But that wouldn't stop me choosing something else if circumstances required it! So I'm only half way to being a hypocrite..

Edited by Tex
  • Like 3

I've used both 10/30 and 10/40 (Castrol Power) in my NC, no problems.

You could probably even mix the two, provided they are the same brand and type (semi or fully synthetic). In fact you are mixing them to some extent if you keep swapping brands and grades, without changing the filter!

Edited by beep
DaveM59

I used to be on an Aprillia forum which was predominantly USA based and it amused me to read of an unbelievably enthusiastic following for Amsoil with some owners swearing blind it gave far better MPG and wear was non existent. They would argue about brands of oil filters and which are better. I would suggest (for arguments sake) that these days oil filters are less of a requirement as with modern fine tolerance engineering, synthetic oils and clean burning fuels, the oil isn't being contaminated with particles of abrasive materials half as much as it used to be, and so the filter is probably not needed. Some scooter engines don't have them, just a strainer on the pump induction and they survive well enough.

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

I second Simon & Steve's preferences for "Castrol Power 1".  A touch dearer maybe, but a good oil from their wide range of products.

As you see here, the easiest main oil filter to fit and remove, is the HiFlo Racing HF 204 with the 17mm nut welded on the end, or the much more expensive K&N equivalent, so you don't need to p*ss about with a filter wrench, and the little, much finer, DCT oil filter seems to be unique to Honda for about a tenner.  Again a touch exhorbitant but clean oil is the lifeblood of any internal combustion motor.  The forty written on the can is the workshop retail price in euro for 4 liters.

And the little DCT filter must go in the correct way round, rubber ring inwards.

09cccf0b-57f2-4799-b9dc-799f061a804d_zpsdhskqex7.jpg

Edited by sykospain
typos as usual

Much in agreement with what's been said.

The bandings for the nominal label viscosity ratings cover a range of real viscosities, and one 30 rated oil may be very close to another 40 rated oil. I'm sure someone posted either some numbers or a link to some test results quite recently with actual measured viscosities for a range of commercially available bike oils. If I remember right, Castrol Power1 10W-40 was relatively low viscosity for the band so not much different to a high 30. I remember thinking it should be fine in the NC.

Like Alan, I've settled on using Castrol Power1 (used to be GPS) because over the years I've never had any issues whatsoever, it stays clean and wet clutches free off quite well with it I've found. Many other perfectly good oils are available.

I've tried 10W-30 and a mix of 30&40 in the Integra. I must say I've found it a little smoother and quieter with the mix, but that's a very subjective assessment and there may well be an element of wishful thinking in that. I haven't used straight 10W-40 but it would be fine I'm sure. I don't know if it would alter the DCT clutch actuation noticeably, it does have an oil temperature sensor in the system so there must be some sort of algorithm in there to take oil viscosity into account, but as said any nominal oil rating has a tolerance band anyway.

• Like 1

I've been using 10w40 semi synthetic in my 750x for the last year, I do 450 miles a week. I use motul and change it every 5k miles because I can :)

Guest Cavallo
17 minutes ago, nc750xuk said:

I've been using 10w40 semi synthetic in my 750x for the last year, I do 450 miles a week. I use motul and change it every 5k miles because I can :)

Try the Motul 7100 fully synthetic. The bike runs smoother. In Malta we change oil before 5000km due conditions. Very hot in summer and too much traffic, and too many stop and starts. 

This is a VERY subjective subject. I've used Motul 7100, Castrol Power 1 and Fuchs Silkolene Pro 4 on my bikes... I rate them in that order with Fuchs Silkolene the one I liked best of all three. I know Motul is often reviewed as the best of motorcycle oils but when I put mine in the engine I changed it after just 800km. It made the gear change feel... 'sticky' and I reverted back to Fuchs Silkolene Pro 4. My advice is to put the oil you 'believe' or 'feel' best FOR YOU.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Cavallo said:

Professional mechanics in Malta says its one of the worst oil for motorcycles. 

Oddly enough, professional mechanics in the U.K. say that Castrol is (among) the best. But, whatever floats your boat.

• Like 3
Dunnster
19 minutes ago, Tex said:

Oddly enough, professional mechanics in the U.K. say that Castrol is (among) the best. But, whatever floats your boat.

Think this advert is responsible for that. 

Guest Cavallo
36 minutes ago, wendeg said:

This is a VERY subjective subject. I've used Motul 7100, Castrol Power 1 and Fuchs Silkolene Pro 4 on my bikes... I rate them in that order with Fuchs Silkolene the one I liked best of all three. I know Motul is often reviewed as the best of motorcycle oils but when I put mine in the engine I changed it after just 800km. It made the gear change feel... 'sticky' and I reverted back to Fuchs Silkolene Pro 4. My advice is to put the oil you 'believe' or 'feel' best FOR YOU.

Never had gear problems with Motul, infact gear changing stays nice ane smooth even when the oil gets hot. 

Guest sykospain

The voiceover is by Vernon Joyner - he made the wise choice 40 and more years ago to take "shares" on that TV & cinema ad campaign, instead of opting for the usual one-off vastly-tempting enormous studio fee that most of us are pressured to accept by the agency..

From the continuing proceeds, he bought his vast luxurious villa on a Greek island.  Purely from the Bartle, Bogle Hegarty agency fees that kept rolling in every quarter from the Castrol "Liquid Engineering" ad campaign.

Years before that I used to play snooker with him when we were lowly rep actors.  He bought rounds;  great guy - always wore a cravat, sadly though he's no longer with us.

Edited by sykospain
outrunner

I sometimes wonder if someone is taking the mickey with oil, this motor needs this oil, this motor needs that oil, etc. And don't get me started on oil change intervals, my 54bhp bike "needs" to have an oil and filter change at 6000 miles, my ex wifes 160bhp Focus ST has 10000 mile intervals. :shocked:

Andy.

Andy.

MikeBike
9 hours ago, outrunner said:

I sometimes wonder if someone is taking the mickey with oil, this motor needs this oil, this motor needs that oil, etc. And don't get me started on oil change intervals, my 54bhp bike "needs" to have an oil and filter change at 6000 miles, my ex wifes 160bhp Focus ST has 10000 mile intervals. :shocked:

Andy.

Andy.

Andy (and Andy),

By 54bhp bike needing 6000 mile changes, do you mean the NC? - it's 8000/annually officially.

larryblag
On 22/11/2016 at 19:08, wendeg said:

Mower oil then, monograde.

Only kidding obviously :angel:

outrunner
3 hours ago, MikeBike said:

Andy (and Andy),

By 54bhp bike needing 6000 mile changes, do you mean the NC? - it's 8000/annually officially.

Yes, my mistake, sorry about that but the Volkswagen I used to drive at work was 12000 miles so how long does oil last?

Andy.