still crap painting on new swingarm

Mike5100

Mike5100

I thought the swingarm on the 2016 bike I bought last April might have had an improved paint covering, but at 9k miles the same thing is happening.  Paint flaking off exposing bare metal beneath.  The paint is obviously so thin and almost looks like no base layers have been used that you have to wonder what Honda are up to on this.  The original paint on the centrestand was the same and since I have had it powder coated it's been no problem.  Having said that maybe Honda have invented some new steel coating that they are trying because even though the surface paint flakes off on the swingarm, the underlying metal doesn't rust (this is true also on the black painted area of the new end can which I don't think is stainless steel.

31885552053_2683f238b7_z.jpg

Swissheavy

Yeah exact same thing with mine after 5k miles

Grumpy old man
2 hours ago, Swissheavy said:

Yeah exact same thing with mine after 5k miles

+1

Mike5100

I have sent a pic to the dealer to report it to Honda, but from past experience they do not want to know about this kind of complaint.  They seem to listen to other forum compliants though and make good mods as the model years evolve.  Seems a relatively cheap and eaay fix for them to get the swingarm paint sorted out but it's 4-5 years now and 3 model incarnations and still happening.

Mike

Grumpy old man

I wonder why they don't put the Integra swing arm on the Nc

Mike5100
Just now, Grumpy old man said:

I wonder why they don't put the Integra swing arm on the Nc

You'd think wouldn't you?  But it does look expensive and powder coating the swing arm shouldn't cost them much at all - the frame looks like it's powder coated

Mike

Just cleaning mine and it's been in the garage since Tuesday this week and the salt is already getting at it . Didn't wash it down as I got in quite late , it was also lashing down so didn't bother . Think the road salt is harsher this year ? My previous bikes including the s/wing didn't seem to show this accelerated wear ? . Dread to think if I'd have bought a tracer , might have only been the handle bars left.   :0))

• Like 2
Mike5100
3 minutes ago, Tonyj said:

Just cleaning mine and it's been in the garage since Tuesday this week and the salt is already getting at it . Didn't wash it down as I got in quite late , it was also lashing down so didn't bother . Think the road salt is harsher this year ? My previous bikes including the s/wing didn't seem to show this accelerated wear ? . Dread to think if I'd have bought a tracer , might have only been the handle bars left.   :0))

three of my mates have bought Tracer 900s.  One guy who did visit here for a while when he was considering a new bike, has kept his looking immaculate.  The other guy - bike bought at the same time - has paid little attention to his, and it's a rust bucket - fork legs, disks, banjos, bolt heads - anything that isn;t painted really, and even where it's painted like the alloy fork bases that are black (presumably anodised) are blistering where they are bonded to the steel stanchions.  

..... however ....his swingarm is in perfect condition .... Grrrrrr

• Like 1
Mike5100

BTW - my abs sensor disk looks like poorly galvanised mild steel and it isn;t holding up as well as on my previous NC's.  So I thought, well it looks like it's just punched out of an unfurled pepsi can or something must be cheap as chips, I will buy a spare and get one nickel plated or chromed.  But - eek - £151 they want for it.  so it will be the wire brush come the summer.

Mike

PoppetM

I am just admiring the clean chain.....!

Mike5100
17 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

I am just admiring the clean chain.....!

It had just been cleaned with my Kettenmax and paraffin Poppet

Mike

UnitInstalledReadyforClean.jpg

Forgive me if I'm being stupid (yet again) but could this be the result of bimetallic corrosion?  Is that silver-coloured end plate at the back of the swinging arm made from a different metal to the arm itself?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mike5100 said:

It had just been cleaned with my Kettenmax and paraffin Poppet

Mike

UnitInstalledReadyforClean.jpg

Crikey.  That was quick.  I see all the paint has now fallen off the swinging arm.

• Like 2
Mike5100
1 minute ago, DMB said:

Forgive me if I'm being stupid (yet again) but could this be the result of bimetallic corrosion?  Is that silver-coloured end plate at the back of the swinging arm made from a different metal to the arm itself?

Maybe Dave, but on both my earlier NC's the paint came off the bottom edge of the swing arm about 6 inched back from this plate, and there was no other metal near that point

Mike

• Like 1

out of interest have you used any acf-50/scottoiler on the swingarm mike??

Edited by horobags
Mike5100
48 minutes ago, horobags said:

out of interest have you used any acf-50/scottoiler on the swingarm mike??

yes - painted acf50 on the ends of the swingarm, reasonably regularly

Mike

outrunner

6500 miles on mine and it has been washed 3 times, I think over cleaning is the problem. ;)

No obvious corrosion on the bike but perhaps I can't see it for dirt. :shocked:

Andy.

On 04/02/2017 at 08:19, Mike5100 said:

I thought the swingarm on the 2016 bike I bought last April might have had an improved paint covering, but at 9k miles the same thing is happening.  Paint flaking off exposing bare metal beneath.  The paint is obviously so thin and almost looks like no base layers have been used that you have to wonder what Honda are up to on this.  The original paint on the centrestand was the same and since I have had it powder coated it's been no problem.  Having said that maybe Honda have invented some new steel coating that they are trying because even though the surface paint flakes off on the swingarm, the underlying metal doesn't rust (this is true also on the black painted area of the new end can which I don't think is stainless steel.

31885552053_2683f238b7_z.jpg

so we know the answer is powder coating.Are you going to demand an under -guarantee replacement? knowing it won't be any better? On my last bike -the KTM -it had a lovely polished alloy swinging arm but I got it powdered -as it was such a chore trying to maintain its gleam!

• Like 1
Mike5100
3 minutes ago, bazza said:

so we know the answer is powder coating.Are you going to demand an under -guarantee replacement? knowing it won't be any better? On my last bike -the KTM -it had a lovely polished alloy swinging arm but I got it powdered -as it was such a chore trying to maintain its gleam!

I agree Barry.  I only ever push for replacement stuff from a manufacturer if I'm convinced that the replacement isn't going to do exactly the same.  This bike might be one I keep for many years and my plan would be to get the swingarm powder coated at the same time the bearings need replacing.

Mike

I have same trouble, swing arm quite rusty now. Think my padock stand has worn the "paint"away. Also on the cross brace near shock. So I too was thinking of powder coat. I have had acf treatment, as well as doing it myself!

Mike5100

Can any experts on here answer this please.

Powder coating puts a very thick layer on compared to normal painting.  Is this likely to affect clearances that the swing arm needs.  I got some brake levers powder coated a couple of years ago but ended up having to chisel off the coating where they fitted into the female parts on the handlebars.  I'm thinking of areas like the window where the observation slider sits, but there may be other points to consider

Mike

Andy m

Now, while my recent goth period has certain issues, it does mean I have this (from wilcos)

31880707354_a532e08218.jpg

Which experience tells me will stop the rot spreading and after a few weeks can bd buffed into the existing paint

32600728491_1f764c441d.jpg

Now, does anyone have any tips as I'm struggling with my eyeliner?

Purple Death Child

(formerly known as Andy)

• Like 2
Mike5100

I actually have some touch up paint from my Rocket3 and amazingly it's the same black.  Might touch it up come summer, but at the moment I think it's best protected with acf50

Mike

wingrider.steve
5 hours ago, Mike5100 said:

Powder coating puts a very thick layer on compared to normal painting.  Is this likely to affect clearances that the swing arm needs.

Just ask the powder-coaters to mask off the places you don't want coating.

I've had several wheels powder-coated over the years and always get the bearing recesses etc masked off (as you have to remove the old bearings before coating) so I don't have any problems when fitting the new bearings.

Mike5100

Looks to me like one would need to mask off from the inside the little window things where the wear indicator slides.  What do you think that thing is on the offside inner surface- something to do with the brake calliper?  Maybe that's a precision fit into something?  Bolts to be put into bolt holes of course.  Then you do you let the powder coating come round on to the annular surface of the swingarm that is close to item 23 (and on the other side 21).  It would be good to get that area well protected, but it might prevent the whole lot squeezing up together properly?

Mike

block_74391.png