Obsessive Cleaning Help

Dashwood

Do not know if i am doing more harm... on the bikes i had/have I put some Wurth Maintenance Oil on a rag and try to give all metal parts a rub with this oil-moisted rag. It leaves a very thin film of oil. It is a mineral oil free of silicone, acid, resin and aox (whatever this latter acronym means)

To be fair, in Malta we have no problem with salt and grit... although we do have high levels of humidity

Mike5100

Just thought you might like to see how a dog bone fares in winter. I can't work out whether it's black paint that has come off or some kind of silver coating that has corroded. It's been quite liberally doused with act 50 and washed reasonably regularly

mike

32610534380_b7a767c0f2_b.jpg32950923476_d6342fcf9b_b.jpg32992203035_281b744e4c_b.jpg

Edited by Mike5100
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Mike, if that's after regular washing and ACF50 I dread to think what it would be like without either. 

Are manufacturers cutting corners? I agree with an earlier post which pointed out how the underneath of cars suffered similarly - my wife and I both have Skodas which are 3 years old and, despite regular pressure washing to remove salt etc., both seem to have suffered from surface rust. 

I know of 15 year old VFR's, used regularly, with no corrosion, yet the BMW motorcycle forums are full of horror stories of GS's that are literally 3-6 months old and already suffering from rust.

Edited by Dashwood
Guest sykospain

Mac750 - the product you describe :-

"...corrosion inhibitor from any steel engineers suppliers .  It comes in a large spray can and costs £3.99. It is a thin almost liquid grease which leaves a thin yellowish residue on metal and chrome."

....is marketed in the UK at three times the price for a small aerosol can and is called Waxoyl !

Edited by sykospain
sandalfarm

I would only jet wash the patio not my bike or car  too fierce for my liking mind you l probably wouldn't get on my hands and knees to see how shiny my dog bones were either.when I had my mg midget and went to shows there were people who would have mirrors under the car to show off their wishbones

3 hours ago, sykospain said:

Mac750 - the product you describe :-

"...corrosion inhibitor from any steel engineers suppliers .  It comes in a large spray can and costs £3.99. It is a thin almost liquid grease which leaves a thin yellowish residue on metal and chrome."

....is marketed in the UK at three times the price for a small aerosol can and is called Waxoyl !

Yep Waxoyl is expensive as it's a sort of  high street name. I used to do the cavities and sills on my cars with a product call Dynatron or something like that. I don't think it's made now. But 1970/1980 cars were all made of cheese wrapped in bacofoil and you could almost hear them rusting as you waited for the traffic light to change.  Treated with the Dynatron the cars lasted a heck of a while longer. Anyone seen a BL Princess 1800 wedge lately 😀