Rust

Grey owl

All I have an extended warranty (runs out in September 2017) on my 64 plate nc750x DCT, I have just washed it and noticed rust on the forks, break pedal, swing arm (I think that's what it's called) and the frame that holds the fog lights which is a genuine Honda part fitted from new. My question is are these covered under the extended warranty.

Callisidrin

I know when I cleaned my S before I part-ex'd it, I noticed some rust forming just above the fork seals and on the pillion foot pegs. 

It's a dilema, is it down to manufacturing on what is a fairly inexpensive bike not being treated properly with rust proofing to start with, the cheaper materials they have probably used to reduce the price, or would they say it was your fault for not looking after the bike properly and keeping it clean and dry. Obviously water will gather in pools in places where it can't run off properly and it seems that the places you mention are definitely prone to this. The water splashed up from the roads contains so much crap and chemicals that it will speed up the formation of Iron Oxide and corrosion if you don't wash and dry the bike off afterwards. The longer you leave the bike covered in road crap the faster the rust will form, specially in the winter with salt and grit added to the roads.

I applied some WD40 with a cloth and managed to wipe away the rust spots. Others on here swear by (I think it's called ) ACF50 as a treatment. 

To actually answer your question, theres no harm in enquiring, you could ask how many years rust and corrosion protection come with the bike as standard, what parts it applied to and if it's covered in the warranty (Extended should cover the same). 

Guest machinman

As above, no harm in asking. I commute all year and it is VERY difficult to stop corrosion.  I've tried every potion, but rust is never far away. It's like a virus.

Having said that, if you keep on top of things, you can prevent it with regular cleaning and spraying etc.