What are they called?

JamesS

Hi all, I seem to be having a nightmare with my local Honda service. Took it in for the 8k service and they gave me a sheet to say everything was was good to go (classed green on a green/amber/red scale) including chain. Didn't really look at the chain for 2 weeks, then I noticed it was virtually hanging off. I took it back & they said the chain/sprockets had completely gone! In two weeks? They adjusted it (I wouldn't let them replace) & they kept it in to do a recall on the frunk. 3 days later I noticed the plastic inner cover of the fairing is hanging lose one side, & the other has completely gone. My questions are - what are these called, and do I have a valid complaint against the dealer? Advice welcome. Thanks.

33 minutes ago, JamesS said:

Hi all, I seem to be having a nightmare with my local Honda service. Took it in for the 8k service and they gave me a sheet to say everything was was good to go (classed green on a green/amber/red scale) including chain. Didn't really look at the chain for 2 weeks, then I noticed it was virtually hanging off. I took it back & they said the chain/sprockets had completely gone! In two weeks? They adjusted it (I wouldn't let them replace) & they kept it in to do a recall on the frunk. 3 days later I noticed the plastic inner cover of the fairing is hanging lose one side, & the other has completely gone. My questions are - what are these called, and do I have a valid complaint against the dealer? Advice welcome. Thanks.

name and shame them.Suggest a registered letter, after getting the bike checked out by a proper dealer, stating you want a refund of the total cost or you will go to court AND social media saying how crap they are .If they dont cough up DO It -start by telling US who they are so others can avoid

• Like 1

This is exactly the reason why I prefer to do the service myself. Sometimes it takes longer due to experience but I struggle to find a decent bike shop. 

Having said that I will have to look around because i need rear brake calliper strip and clean because it is sticking and I have bad history with this particular job lol. 

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

James that is disgusting service to say the very least--you must complain--and name and shame ---did you pay by credit card? can you claim the money back--did they apologise or say it was not their fault?--- bad service should not be tolerated--- and not adjusting the chain correctly ---could have caused a accident.

This is just why--all forum members need to have knowledge of basic mechanics--so they can spot bad workmanship straight away--before they ride the bike away---trusting them --is at your peril :frantics: 

PoppetM

As Bazza said put it in writing.  With the chain, key words "risk to life" should be used. Mine supposedly had a PDI and a first service. Did it heck.

I went politely berserk, when they rang me to play the "Mrs Woman doesn't know what she is taking about" I calmly pointed out that these bikes don't come with airbags. If my car mechanic has an off day, I may have a crash, but if my bike mechanic has an off day I could be killed.  "Apologies Mrs Marr we will give you a full refund". 

I pointed out that I wasn't after a refund, I wanted my bike serviced by a professional that know what they are doing... we do hope you will come back - like hell I will! 

Also, send it to the sales team... they get peeved that they sell these bikes and then the servicing guys put the riders off Honda with poor service standards - or at least that is the biggest bug bear with the sales team at FARNHAM HONDA!!! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bat-kam said:

This is exactly the reason why I prefer to do the service myself. Sometimes it takes longer due to experience but I struggle to find a decent bike shop. 

Having said that I will have to look around because i need rear brake calliper strip and clean because it is sticking and I have bad history with this particular job lol. 

Yes but its an 8000 mile bike presumably still under warranty -so he has to stick with a dealer to maintain that -plus he ain't very teccy!

Guest sykospain

There is no warranty requirement to stay for servicing with the dealer who sold the bike - any other Honda dealer or qualified bike mechanic's workshop will do, so long as Honda replacement parts are used and invoiced as such.

Edited by sykospain

Thanks for your comments all. The dealer is John Banks Honda of Cambridge. I took it back this morning and they replaced the bits straight away and the mechanic gave a mumbled apology. I might send a complaint letter though, as suggested. Thanks again.

• Like 1

You gave them a chance to put it right and they did. I love a happy ending. :)

• Like 2
Guest amiga-mark
7 hours ago, JamesS said:

Thanks for your comments all. The dealer is John Banks Honda of Cambridge. I took it back this morning and they replaced the bits straight away and the mechanic gave a mumbled apology. I might send a complaint letter though, as suggested. Thanks again.

If you decide to use the dealer again or not is biggie for them so they might offer you 10% off purchases from the shop - up to you if you choose to use it.

Oh Dear. My experience over nearly 40 years of Motorcycling is that most Dealers cannot be trusted on routine maintenance. And I've learnt that as its my life on the line, its best not to trust others to maintain my pride and Joy. I learnt to do it myself. It saves a fortune, and I KNOW its right. I pick up my NC next weekend, and I will pay for the first service, and then, that's it... All my responsibility.

Edited by Trumpet

I really find it hard to believe that "most Dealers cannot be trusted".  It just doesn't make sense to me.  How can such big businesses, franchised by huge motorcycle manufacturers, be so awful?  I'd accept that they may be a bit sharp, trained to squeeze the last drop of profit out of every punter.  But I just don't understand how they can be so bad at routine maintenance.

As we know from this forum, Kent Motorcycles has an excellent reputation.

My local dealer, Gedges in the Hastings area, seems pretty OK by most accounts.

There must be numerous other dealers who, generally, do a decent job.  Or am I naive?

The trouble with being large is that a few minor slips can cast big shadows and then everyone hears about them. 

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

Alan in Oldham -  in my recent experience, you're lucky to be near Rochdale Honda.   A helpful and co-operative Sales team and also confidence-inspiring for workshop abilities.  Although nobody's perfect - they lost my OEM bar-end weights when they installed my Acerbis handguards during my absence here in Spain.  Small point I know but irritating nevertheless.

Like the opinion mentioned above, these NC bikes are so basic, simple and rugged in concept - apart from the obvious sophistication of the complicated DCT system - that they are thus so easy to maintain, so that the best idea for purchasers is to get into the habit and skill of doing their own routine wrenching, following the initial post-sale 600 mile service..  Most wrenching on an NC can be undertaken with just the provided tools in the kit.

And incidentally you should book-in that post-sale service before you even drive the bike off the forecourt.  600 miles on a new bike in good weather can take only a couple of days to complete.

Guest bonekicker

James really glad they sorted your bike out for you--and made a febal effort to apologise--this should never happen--the mechanic should get a job card and do what it says on it---not mess about--talking or whatever--- lead to them buggering up your bike --- please learn from this--find a proper mechanic and go there-- if possible watch him and learn. :thumbsup:

Ahh.. I wonder if it's the chain as John Banks in Bury St Edmunds servicing is also shocking. Front of house ok but back of house!

Not just bike but car as well! 

Guest Mac750
23 hours ago, JamesS said:

More importantly send an email to Honda customer service  UK , that is what I did . Honda contacted the dealership very quickly and things magically started to happen. 

Having said that the next time I went into to the place the two sales guys saw me turned away and ignored my presence in the empty show room. 😀 The service manager scurried off into the back workshop.

I now take it to another dealer if I need anything and will never set foot in the place again. 

(Only Honda dealers based in Cornwall very poor service )

Trumpet
13 hours ago, DMB said:

I really find it hard to believe that "most Dealers cannot be trusted".  It just doesn't make sense to me.  How can such big businesses, franchised by huge motorcycle manufacturers, be so awful?  I'd accept that they may be a bit sharp, trained to squeeze the last drop of profit out of every punter.  But I just don't understand how they can be so bad at routine maintenance.

As we know from this forum, Kent Motorcycles has an excellent reputation.

My local dealer, Gedges in the Hastings area, seems pretty OK by most accounts.

There must be numerous other dealers who, generally, do a decent job.  Or am I naive?

The trouble with being large is that a few minor slips can cast big shadows and then everyone hears about them. 

The problem is any work carried out by a third party on your Vehicle has to be based on a trust that they will carry out that work competently. Once that trust is broken doubt and paranoia sets in. It's like your partner being unfaithful, it only takes the one occasion then a long time to gain trust again.:ermm: if ever !

Trumpet
13 hours ago, sykospain said:

Alan in Oldham -  in my recent experience, you're lucky to be near Rochdale Honda.   A helpful and co-operative Sales team and also confidence-inspiring for workshop abilities.  Although nobody's perfect - they lost my OEM bar-end weights when they installed my Acerbis handguards during my absence here in Spain.  Small point I know but irritating nevertheless.

Like the opinion mentioned above, these NC bikes are so basic, simple and rugged in concept - apart from the obvious sophistication of the complicated DCT system - that they are thus so easy to maintain, so that the best idea for purchasers is to get into the habit and skill of doing their own routine wrenching, following the initial post-sale 600 mile service..  Most wrenching on an NC can be undertaken with just the provided tools in the kit.

And incidentally you should book-in that post-sale service before you even drive the bike off the forecourt.  600 miles on a new bike in good weather can take only a couple of days to complete.

And the Dealer that almost killed me ... Robinsons of Rochdale. They left the spacer out of my blackbird swinging arm. They are no longer an accredited Honda Agent.

Guest Mac750
5 hours ago, Trumpet said:

And the Dealer that almost killed me ... Robinsons of Rochdale. They left the spacer out of my blackbird swinging arm. They are no longer an accredited Honda Agent.

That's why it's best practice to let Honda customer service know if you have had  a really bad experience. If they get lots of emails about a particular dealership that dealer gets a visit from a suit with a Honda tie. They can have the franchise removed a full on suit visit is a big deal to them. 

gonzo

While shopping around for my new x ,Talking to the sales man he actually said "our biggest problem is finding decent mechanics " needless to say i didnt order my bike from them.!     

Guest dentonlad
23 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Robinsons are still in business in Rochdale. They do 10 or 11 different brands including Benelli, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Royal Enfield and Chinese stuff. I'm afraid that their reputation is not great (it's not even vaguely good....). 

My mate wanted to buy a really nice second hand 'Busa (£6.5K) from them. The sales guy wouldn't shift and give him the discount for 6 months tax - Profit and sale lost for £42.90. Go figure that one?

Andy m

There is a skills shortage. They got rid of the respected, experienced, relatively high paid, high job satisfaction mechanics and brought in the vehicle technician. These are lads who failed to get on a degree course in call centre activity and golf history, who dream of being pop stars and hate getting their hands dirty. The boss doesn't know what they do but has a spreadsheet on how long it takes.

The main dealers job is selling vehicles. They are barely measured on service performance.

An independent may actually employ the fabled mechanic.

If you do complain to the brand make sure you have a go at the brand. "I will never buy another Honda" rings bells, " You give ****service" does not.

Andy

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

If I have to pay for anyone to do work for me---I expect them to be 10 times better than me--or is that wrong?? why do they call themselves experts?? I can expect it--but never get it-- be demanding--I have limited cash nowadays and am certainly not giving it away--they are not friends of mine--friends of mine can have anything they like from me--share the old wife no problem-- because if they can get past first base--then good luck to them :doh:

Andy m

That's another change (not BK'S wife or financial situation) the "expert" can now be a tool or system not a person (although I've met a few utter tools).

The current aim is to actually get rid of the main dealer as well. With remote diagnosis and predictive maintenance you are as tied to your vehicle brand as you are a phone provider or tele company. Broken ones will be swapped and taken to recycling hubs. Who pays will depend on contract lawyers.

If you don't like it, plan to get your Enfield before 2025.

Andy

baben

I don't really do servicing on my bikes these days. It's a struggle to even find the spark plugs for gods sake. But I like the idea of getting something basic and simple - maybe a Herald or an Enfield and doing all my own work on it.

• Like 2