What are they called?

JamesS

I used to quite enjoy working on the Heralds. You could sit on the front wheel and do lots of stuff on the engine. :)

• Like 2
Guest sykospain

Andy's right - there is a skills shortage.  Most of Tim's applicants for a tecnico's job in his vast workshop have never even had a Meccano set as a kid.  They get it into their head that all that's needed to service modern vehicles is lubing and component replacement, whether it's a lamp-bulb, a track-rod-end or an ECU.

During a recent recruitment week, during one interview Tim showed a bright-looking lad a pocket-sized feeler-gauge set.

He hadn't the faintest idea what it was.

The moral of the story therefore is seek out a ex- ( insert motorcycle Brand ) -trained tecnico who's got the paperwork to show he went on various (Brand) courses and subsequently set up on his own as an independent.

He'll do your servicing right.  And cheaper.

Edited by sykospain
Guest sykospain

And one memorable reply when I used to do interviews :-

Me: "So, Donna;  do you have a CV ?

Donna: - Sorry, I don't drive..."

d13fe21f-20ed-46c9-946e-7cde037e642f_zps

Black Marauder

Robinsons of Rochdale are indeed included in a "chain" of some 9 North West shops that still continue to trade on "past" reputable dealers & " multi franchise" with the various manufacturers, lets say there are "mixed" opinions on how they look after their customers ??

Andy m

An unfortunately common phone call:

" There is air ****ing out of the (insert name) valve. The diagnostics (a laptop) say there is nothing wrong. We've changed the valve twice and air ****es out of the new ones."

If you take the pipe off the outlet and air is coming back up the pipe where it shouldn't, chances are you can follow that pipe back to a leaking valve. The computer finds undoing fittings almost as difficult as those who've been to college in the last 10 years! We rescue the willing and in another 20 years they'll be able to write their own pay cheques.

Andy

Guest Mac750
On 02/03/2017 at 20:40, baben said:

I don't really do servicing on my bikes these days. It's a struggle to even find the spark plugs for gods sake. But I like the idea of getting something basic and simple - maybe a Herald or an Enfield and doing all my own work on it.

I fell in love with the basic practicality of the MZ, the problem was they are physically too small for me with the pegs too high and the seat too low. I tried almost every model they made but the worst for me was the ETZ not only sitting like being on the loo but also reaching for the paper that's been put too far out in front of you. 

But for ease of servicing and repair

amazing.

This is another reason why I like the NC 750x the riding position is comfortable.(even if the seat isn't.)

The manual gearbox and engine is user friendly to work on apart from the electronic gubbins.

But I dont like the glitzy style paint scheme on my 2016 bike. It reminds me of a miners wife's handbag in a working man's club on a Saturday night .

All glitz but it's only carrying the sandwiches.      😁

( Attercliffe WMC )

Tonyj

What Andy i believe is referring to is grammar schools ? , I was firmly in the vocational stream :0) and became a plumber. No bank manager training for me from school . (Comprehensive)

Some people can do , others watch,  some get told what to do . Now if we can only get the polish lawn mower mechanics to up their game and set up in this industry as opposed to lofts and bi fold doors we will have a decent work force to mend our bikes . 

Dealers/ mechanics , it's all about the dollar/euro. Maximum for the minimum.

Guest Mac750
15 hours ago, Andy m said:

An unfortunately common phone call:

" There is air ****ing out of the (insert name) valve. The diagnostics (a laptop) say there is nothing wrong. We've changed the valve twice and air ****es out of the new ones."

If you take the pipe off the outlet and air is coming back up the pipe where it shouldn't, chances are you can follow that pipe back to a leaking valve. The computer finds undoing fittings almost as difficult as those who've been to college in the last 10 years! We rescue the willing and in another 20 years they'll be able to write their own pay cheques.

Andy

A Friend of mine now retired, 70,  keeps getting call outs from the company he use to work for. His job of 40 years was repairing those huge earth moving machines and giant tippers in open cast mines and quarries, he has worked all over the world .

Now he is retired he gets offers of gold, figs and sweet meats to go and fix a machine that's costing £xxxxx per hour to stand idle. Most of these machines are modern, but occasionally some are almost 30 + years old. The firm he worked for has a policy of keeping on back order stock for twenty years on anything they build. Which in theory is good but the staff today only know the new plug n play diagnostic stuff. 

He was called to a thirty odd year old and very large earth mover at mine in Eastern Europe. When he saw it he laughed and slowly climbed up high into the cab carrying his battered tool box. Two minutes later the thing roared into life belching black smoke. He slowly climbed down and walked back to the pick up truck. "You can take me back to the airport now mate"  

On that particular machine they altered the ignition safety start up sequence as previously it could be started and could lurch forward. They did this early in the production run following an accident . Eeww .

On the previous early machine it had a fuse block hidden under the dash which was hard to get too sited awkwardly on the bulkhead. The later machines had done away with that block and all schematics only show the later wiring diagrams. He was flown out first class, put up in a hotel and then driven the 40 miles to the mine. It took him all of two minutes to find the fuses and change two out. That trip was a substantial boost to his new motorbike fund. 

Edited by Mac750
Spell checker
Guest sykospain

Robinson's of Rochdale - yes, Hugh Robinson sold me my first Beemer when they were BMW concessionaires - the K75C was actually my third bike following the Speed Twin and then the Florida V65.  The 'privilege' of being a BMW shop was taken away from them a few decades later after many customer disgruntlements.  But when Dorian was in Stores back in the day, they were indeed a decent dealer.

Hugh told me as a complete novice biker that "the most dangerous moment for a new biker is getting on - and off - his new machine."

So true. Even since then - 40 years ago and more - I never fail to flick out the sidestand before doing either manoeuvre.

Rocker66

People are only too happy to write to their respective Honda importers such as Honda U.K. To complain but I wonder how many write to praise dealers who have gone the extra mile to help out. When Lloyds in Carlisle ( a shop I had never been in before) took a brake lever off a brand new Crossrunner and fitted whilst I had a coffee to save my holiday to Scotland whilst only charging me for the lever I did just that. I wrote to both Honda UK and the managing director of Lloyds to tell them how much their actions were appreciated 

• Like 1