Sparkplugs

Joeyjoejnr

Joeyjoejnr

Hello all,

I ordered 2 new spark plugs (IFR6G-11k) but the spark plugs that arrived are BR8HS-10.  I just want to double check some info before I make a fool of myself with the seller.  Are the they same spark plug?  Also they are advertised as Laser Iridium but nothing on the box or plugs says anything about them been iridium? The Iridium boxes online seem to be a silver colour but the boxes my plugs came in are the standard yellow and red colour. Any help?

Guest sykospain

Yes indeedy my friend - those are standard non-iridium five buck plugs.  I guess that's either a picking error by your supplier, being charitable, or they're frauding rogues....

Frauding ?  - no such word it says.  Well, it's   m  y   word !

Joeyjoejnr
10 minutes ago, sykospain said:

Yes indeedy my friend - those are standard non-iridium five buck plugs.  I guess that's either a picking error by your supplier, being charitable, or they're frauding rogues....

Frauding ?  - no such word it says.  Well, it's   m  y   word !

Oh jeebus.  Thanks Sykospain.  So just to clarify.  IFR6G-11K & BR8HS-10 are not the same plug just under different codes?  Either way ill get onto the supplier as they are not iridium.  Im glad I bought them for a future service and im not stuck waiting on them now.

Guest sykospain

That's right Joe - most brands of iridium plugs, the code begins with the letter EYE pronounced EEE in Spanish

Too much info, Sykes....

There is no cross-reference for this spark plug, NGK makes them only in Japan.

Definitely wrong ones sent.

Where did you get them from?

Normally they are about £15 each.

Edited by matt28
Joeyjoejnr
54 minutes ago, matt28 said:

There is no cross-reference for this spark plug, NGK makes them only in Japan.

Definitely wrong ones sent.

Where did you get them from?

Normally they are about £15 each.

They were £27 for both.  Got them off an that auction site seller.  I should have checked his rating before hand.  He has loads of negative reviews within the last month

Trumpet

Iridium plugs have a really tiny inner conductor .. They are supposedly less prone to fouling than standard plugs and are reported as lasting much longer than standard electrode plugs. Everyone has their own opinion on whether they are worth the upgrade on most modern Motorcycles. But if they are fitted as standard on the NC, I'd stick with them. sounds like you have been conned. I recently bought a micro SD card that turned out to be fake from that auction site, there's a lot of it about.

Edited by Trumpet
DaveM59

I always use www.sparkplugs.co.uk and often their price is at least as good as any seller on Eeebay.

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/amfinder/?find=spark-plugs-ngk-motorcycle-and-atv-motorcycle-and-scooter-honda-nc700d-integra-670---------12--------8158180

I searched integra but the same ones are used on all models.

Edited by DaveM59
trisaki

What's the mileage   don't normally  have to change the std plugs until late at least 26000 miles 

Guest bonekicker

That site is very good--- if you are mis sold--or the item not as described--you will get your money back--either from the supplier or That site---always claim---no matter how small the cost was--- I got £2.18p back yesterday---not a lot --but still better in my pocket---sorry the old wifes pocket in her knickers :ermm:

Derek_Mac

The simplist way of getting a seller on Fleabay to see things your way is to raise a dispute with Paypal regarding the goods sold to you. :)

That presumes you paid using PayPal of course.

Joeyjoejnr

Thanks for the Web site suggestions. I have done 32,000 kilometres on the bike. I don't plan on changing the plugs just yet. I like to order parts early so I'm not stuck waiting on parts. The seller asked me for a picture of what I received. He must think I'm conning him. If he doesn't sort it today I'll open a PayPal dispute as suggested. 

Regarding the life span of the plugs. I'm nearly sure I read before just because the bike seems to be running fine the old plugs could be causing damage if they are out of date.  I will change them when the manual suggests. 

• Like 2

Plugs that are worn will effect fuel economy and general running, not sure about actual 'damage' though. They don't go 'out of date' like, say, a pint of milk, but, yes, follow the book recommendations for change intervals and you'll be fine.

• Like 1
embee

As Tex says, plugs don't gout of date. Precious metal plugs (platinum/iridium) were introduced for a couple of reasons, the electrodes are much smaller (that's the precious metal bit) which concentrates the charge, sparks more easily, and exposes the spark to the mixture more than the "traditional" nickel/copper design. This enhances the combustion stability. Being precious metals they can withstand the conditions and the erosion rate is reduced, so they last longer meaning reduced servicing requirements and better emission durability (legal/regulatory requirements for manufacturers).

In the NC engine (low speed) the plugs used will last "at least" 30k miles, and more like 50k miles would be perfectly feasible. I recently changed the iridium plugs in my car which were at 50k miles. They would have done more but I decided that was a reasonable time to renew for another 50k miles.

• Like 2

The only damage I have heard of from spark plugs is if , for whatever reason , the ceramic insulator cracks and bits get into the piston chamber and cause some foolery. I think worse would be issues causing pre ignition and the excess cylinder temperatures that can cause, which can be a spark plug issue if they are the `wrong temp` for your bike or conditions of use. To my knowledge there's only one type of plug for the nc . On my cbf125 I run a plug that is cooler as most my journeys on that are flat out head down and that is what s recommended if that's how you use the bike . I occasionally do the 220 miles to Bradford on the 125 ,near flat out all the way, amazing what little engines can do these days !

• Like 1
Guest sykospain

Derek's comment about PayPal is apposite to my current purchase from "that" auction site of a 2004 BMW Rockster - the best year for Beemer bike manufacture - all German components and assembly, with no Chinese fittings.

The seller opted not to specify PayPal payment.  i asked him why.  He said like many other regular sellers on that site, they now avoid the company's preferred PayPal payment method due to the 4% sales commission charged by the two organisations, now of course all under one ownership.  So they all now say, under Payment Terms - "either Cash on Collection or Banker's Draft, not PayPal".  That's a case of a monopoly effectively shooting itself in the foot, saying it offers Buyer Protection by virtue of a PayPal transaction, but thus charging the seller for the privilege.

Keep up boys; don't bow to the power of the cartel.

Derek_Mac

Fair comment Alan,

but there's a 'slight' difference between buying a bike and buying spark plugs!

Also, we're talking about somebody who bought something from a seller using Paypal who appears to have been defrauded by the seller.

The seller obviously appears to be have been happy using Paypal and the conditions that they accepted by using that payment system.

• Like 1
Joeyjoejnr

Just to update.  The seller asked for a photo of what was sent.  I provided the photo. The next day I received an email with an apology and asking could I send them back so they can then send me the correct plugs. I replied that I can do this and also questioned about been reimbursed for the return postage.  Ive yet to hear back from them. If the seller hasn't posted the replacement today or by Monday ill just open a paypal dispute.

• Like 1

My last bike only had 5200 miles on it, but it had been stood for a while.

Then a work mate asked if I would go for a ride with him because he didn't know where to go, and never been outside Wigan on his MT09:wacko:.

So I got the bike out and within 5 miles it developed a super duper misfire, with pops and bangs. I put this down to bad old fuel, anyway I persevered and a 100 odd miles later arrived safe and sound back home with a pop and a bang.

I drained the tank and there was a bit of water in the fuel, so with the tank dry I put fresh fuel in and it was no different. I was thinking clogged fuel injectors, never entered my head about the plugs with so few miles on the clock, but after talking to the guy at MW racing, first thing he said was change the plugs and try it, so I ordered the plugs there and then, got them the day after. And to be honest I was still thinking it wasn't the plugs, so just chatting to the guy who mot's the bike and he said the same "change the plugs" so after this I thought right get it sorted, after almost loosing the will to live with a fuel pipe connection, (push in not pull out!)

I got to the plugs and was shocked by the condition of them, anyway new plugs in and it was like a new bike :)

Would you believe it.

IMG_20160730_183445720.jpg

• Like 2
Guest bonekicker

Paypal do a --- return to seller on us service--you make a claim and they let you print a return label for free--- I have made several claims through paypal-- and always got my money back---I would not order anything on the internet without going through them :thumbsup:

Trumpet
12 hours ago, Fatbob said:

My last bike only had 5200 miles on it, but it had been stood for a while.

Then a work mate asked if I would go for a ride with him because he didn't know where to go, and never been outside Wigan on his MT09:wacko:.

So I got the bike out and within 5 miles it developed a super duper misfire, with pops and bangs. I put this down to bad old fuel, anyway I persevered and a 100 odd miles later arrived safe and sound back home with a pop and a bang.

I drained the tank and there was a bit of water in the fuel, so with the tank dry I put fresh fuel in and it was no different. I was thinking clogged fuel injectors, never entered my head about the plugs with so few miles on the clock, but after talking to the guy at MW racing, first thing he said was change the plugs and try it, so I ordered the plugs there and then, got them the day after. And to be honest I was still thinking it wasn't the plugs, so just chatting to the guy who mot's the bike and he said the same "change the plugs" so after this I thought right get it sorted, after almost loosing the will to live with a fuel pipe connection, (push in not pull out!)

I got to the plugs and was shocked by the condition of them, anyway new plugs in and it was like a new bike :)

Would you believe it.

IMG_20160730_183445720.jpg

Thats been fouled. Its not worn out. It can happen when you stop the engine before its had chance to come off the enrichment step on the warm up. I've known it happen to other fuel injected bikes. But you did the right thing. In theroy you should be able to clean them up, but I've never had much success.

Acetone or similar strong solvent can clean up a plug like that. The trick is to get the gunk out from deep inside around the base of the electrode. A good soak can do that.