Oil for 2015 NC750X

Guest marbell15

Guest marbell15

What engine oil are you guys using for a 750x and do you use fully synthetic or semi ? I know oil is a massive issue with most bikes but most bike service places just use 10-40. What do you think ?

alhendo1

I've just had my 600 mile service.They (according to the invoice) put in Motul semi 10w/40. I'd imagine that would be semi synthetic. Seems fine on that so far. 

Bart Stilgo

Castrol Power 1 4T  10/30 on a 750X DCT

trisaki

Honda don't  recommend  full synthetic  for road  use it use rock oil guardian  10w 40 semi in my customers  bikes 

embee

A semi-synth will provide all the qualities you need for normal road service. Use a well known brand.

I know it's debated frequently and hotly, but personally I'd recommend always using a bike specific oil, two reasons, it has been tested and approved for use with wet clutches (it will have JASO-MA or MA2 on the label) and it will almost certainly have appropriate levels of anti-wear additives suitable for integrated transmission use. I know some people say they use "car" oils perfectly OK, and it's up to you, personally I wouldn't. Modern car oils have friction modifiers and generally lower levels of anti-wear additives (e.g phosphorus levels typically half or less than a bike oil will have ) because they tend to degrade catalyst performance long term.

FWIW I use a 50/50 mix of 10W30 and 10W40 Castrol Power1 (semi-synth, not the "racing" version). I find it quietens the engine clatter a bit when hot compared to straight 10W30. Someone posted on here some info regarding actual viscosities of commercial oils, and I'm sure I recall the Power1 being at the lower end of the viscosity range for a given grade, so Power1 10W40 probably isn't much thicker than other make 10W30 oils. Honda recommend a 10W30 but the charts in the handbook show suitable oil variants and 10W40 is fine for warmer use. Up to you.

Note the "W" number (10 etc) refers to viscosity at -18C (actually zero F, the SAE ratings are American) and reflects the pumpability when cold, the other number (30 or 40 etc) relates to 100C (approx.) and reflects the oil film properties under normal operating conditions. The numbers for the 2 conditions are on different scales/units so not comparable. The most significant one to consider is the second number for normal operation.

Edited by embee

Motul 7100 Full Ester Synth 10w 30. Oil type is probably the hottest debate on any forum and as Murray says it should be JASO MA or MA2 on the label. After that its down to personal choice. For me I see it as the blood of the engine and happily spend on the ones i do.

• Like 1
SteveThackery
5 hours ago, Taipan said:

Motul 7100 Full Ester Synth 10w 30. Oil type is probably the hottest debate on any forum and as Murray says it should be JASO MA or MA2 on the label. After that its down to personal choice. For me I see it as the blood of the engine and happily spend on the ones i do.

Just to say that, on the DCT, it's probably important to stick to the correct viscosity grade as well as the JASO rating.  I recall that the DCT control unit is programmed to take into account the changing viscosity of the oil with temperature, so I imagine it's important to use oil of the viscosity the ECU is expecting.

• Like 2