Gear change fault

Guest Jacksam

Guest Jacksam

Got my NC x for my daily commute and impressed so far bar an annoying intermittent fault.

Every so often when I'm changing up gears the selector is stuck and won't engage the next gear?

I have to re clutch a couple of times then the selector will engage the next gear.

Been riding bikes for nearly 40 years so like to think I know when it's a mechanical fault.

Anyone else had this problem ?

Is the clutch adjusted correctly, has the dealer fitted the gear change lever in the correct position, one spline too far up or down?

Sounds typical, unfortunately!

I once had a zx9r serviced by a dealer, on collection they presented me with a small bag of nuts and bolts along with the invoice. The mechanic explained that he "couldn't remember where they went".

You can guess where I told him to shove the invoice....

As I said on the other thread - I queried the fact that it was £120 including the subsidy by Honda. The manual says to check to make sure everything is tight but that's the same on each service - I have a panel rattle at 3K revs so they obviously didn't do a completely decent job in the first place.

And my gear changes seem very 'clunky' - but it may be that my lack of experience sees that as odd! :D

Guest matt_bex

I pulled up at the lights the other day and it wouldn't let me select 1st, had to change up 4th and back down again before 1st would engage. Not sure if this is related? It's ony happened the once in 3000 miles so not overly worried.

Guest smithy10292

Thanks,will get this checked at the dealer.

1st service cost me �160,when I queried this price the dealer said the first service was expensive because they check every nut,bolt and screw. Well after they serviced it a side panel screw has come lose and fallen off!

They obviously missed a screw!!

Get them told mate i wouldnt stand for that what if that would have been an important bolt :( you expect when you pay money like that that its all sorted !

Rocker66

If I were you my next call would be to Honda UK

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dersan

today my gear dropped from 2 to N while running and grinding sound came.I immidetly engage to 2gear again and no problems.But why did it do it i dont understand.

Rev Ken

today my gear dropped from 2 to N while running and grinding sound came.I immidetly engage to 2gear again and no problems.But why did it do it i dont understand.

Usual reason is that you didn't get it fully engaged so it dropped out, but not fully into neutral, hence the 'grinding' sound. However if it keeps o doing it - then there is something wrong and it is a warranty job!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FrVentura

I pulled up at the lights the other day and it wouldn't let me select 1st, had to change up 4th and back down again before 1st would engage. Not sure if this is related? It's ony happened the once in 3000 miles so not overly worried.

This happened to me twice today. Matt, did it happen again with you? I'm a bit worried since my bike only has 1300 miles. :ermm:

• 6 months later...
Guest machinman

I have a nasty clunk in to 1st and 2nd . Also can't get out of 1st to neutral unless I blip throttle. Not impressed. Being stripped under warranty next week.

Guest scrumpymike

A problem I get now and then is that, when I've had to stop suddenly (i.e. without time to go down thru the gears on the move), it's difficult when at or just coming to a standstill to change down thru the box to first then neutral. I usually have to mess about blipping the throttle and jiggling the gear lever up and down before I finally get to where I want to be. This doesn't happen often but it's annoying when it does.

Guest machinman

I'm not keen on having my pride and joy pulled apart, and it's my only transport. This bike was a demo model and I'm wondering if the oil changes (been told its had 2!) have been done. I've been told incorrect oil can give clutch drag.

Any thoughts??

steelhorseuk

Who is the dealer Stuart?  To be honest the only way to be sure is change the oil yourself mate!

Mark

Guest machinman

I think for the sake of £30, il drop the oil and filter and put 10/30 back in.

The current oil looks clean, but modern engines seem to run clean anyway. It's clutch drag I want to get rid of !!

My dealer is Suttons in Tamworth, their very obliging, but like said previously . You can't beat doing it yourself.

I'm surprised to be hearing these problems as the test rides I had on a NC700s, the gear box was beautiful. Though in general over the years I think other Jap manufacturers have produced better gear boxes than Honda.

A problem I get now and then is that, when I've had to stop suddenly (i.e. without time to go down thru the gears on the move), it's difficult when at or just coming to a standstill to change down thru the box to first then neutral. I usually have to mess about blipping the throttle and jiggling the gear lever up and down before I finally get to where I want to be. This doesn't happen often but it's annoying when it does.

Happened to me a couple of times as well. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this experience. Doesn't do anything though other than having to throttle about a bit ...

Hmm, I had posted on this thread earlier today, but my Internet connection is pants where I am.

I had all the above.

The gear selector rod was removed and something on that was worn. My dealer will have made Honda aware as it was a warranty matter.

So, your dealers should also know where to look guys.

Have just over 9000 miles on clock,

Bought from forum member who had it immaculate with about 4500 done..

Have to say 1st to 2nd can be 'difficult' / seems to stick occasionaly, reclutching / blip of throttle helps but shouldn't be necessary..

Gearbox can very occasionally sound like a bag of spanners?!

I had the bike fully serviced early for winter riding and have taken it back to be checked but told nothing was wrong..

Will def go back and get gear selector rod checked over.. thanks

Rev Ken

Many Hondas 'clunk' when selecting first gear - and probably many other makes. Unless it is severe it isn't damaging. With regard to sectioning neutral I always slip into neutral just before I stop, then there is no problem. 

However if the dealer is doing a repair under guarantee, then it must be bad!

• 7 months later...

Hi There,

Once in a while when I start in the morning, I get something more than the clunk, shifting from neutral. It's more of a grinding "grrrr" sound. Especially happens if I am soft of the shift. Is this something I should worry about? I cannot duplicate it any time I want and it's always when the oil is cold. 

Cheers,

Murat