Gear change fault

Guest Jacksam

Interesting problem, I have been having a bit of trouble clicking the gears into neutral , it seems very clunky after 1 year of being ultra smooth anyone got any ideas on this? Thanks.

sandalfarm

If the chain is slack it can make finding neutral a problem

Rev Ken

Thick cold oil will drag gear wheels around so if you gently try to select a gear from neutral you are getting two gear wheels just 'scraping' across each other - one going around and one being stationery. If you are firm when selecting a gear you get the gear wheels to engage without 'clicking' over each other. That is also the reason you get a 'clunk' as the two gear wheels syncronise. (ie Inertia forces having to be overcome.)

Edit - I am assuming your clutch is properly adjusted and isn't dragging.

Edited by Rev Ken

Thanks for the replies, gonna take it into the dealer to see if he can sort it out on Tuesday, will let you know what it is, hopefully nothing too serious or expensive.

Guest machinman

Mines in pieces at the dealers at the moment, similar fault , hoping to get it back next week. They are having a tool made to hold the clutch basket as Honda are unable to provide one. Not impressed, I would expect better back up than this.

Guest machinman

Got mine back today , gears nice and smooth and neutral easy to find with no clutch drag.

The dealer exceled themselves, having the clutch tool specially fabricated.

Rocker66

Got mine back today , gears nice and smooth and neutral easy to find with no clutch drag.

The dealer exceled themselves, having the clutch tool specially fabricated.

I'm glad that you have got that all sorted

Got mine back yesterday fearing the worst as the 1st gear to neutral was not engaging properly with a lot of clunking to get it into neutral. The dealer simply changed the clutch cable and a little bit of adjustment and I cant believe how silky smooth it is now. cost £18.