98 Octane fuel - your opinions

Robert

Hi everyone, I'm using only 98 octane fuel in my Integra 700, what about you ?

Hi Robert, I've never tried the higher octane in any of my bikes as I don't think the price bike justifies it. However I think you may have started an interesting thread with differing opinions about to be published.

To my knowledge all Honda motorcycles were designed to run on 95 octane.

Foxy, thank you.

Derm, like most of the vehicles, but I've always believed that high octane is better.

It's just that I'm noticing small misfires when idling and thought that could be the cause.

Andy m

I've always used the cheapest and had no trouble. The 98 sits in the tanks at the petrol station longer absorbing water because they don't sell as much.

Andy

• Like 3
SteveThackery

98 octane fuel has a higher knock resistance than 95 octane, but as the NC engine never knocks it won't make any difference.

• Like 1
suffolk58
2 hours ago, Andy m said:

I've always used the cheapest and had no trouble. The 98 sits in the tanks at the petrol station longer absorbing water because they don't sell as much.

Andy

When I had the BMW, it was supposed to be run on 98 only. I found it took an age at the pumps to fill the tank. Then it was explained to me, that because the the pump was used so rarely, I had to wait for the pump to evacuate all the air in the system, before the petrol (and water, quite likely) started to fill.

I recon the NC engine would probably run on paraffin. 

Please don't take that as a recommendation!

• Sigh 1
Reckless_Rat

There is already quite a lot on this subject on previous threads so you might find these make interesting reading
e.g.:

Which Fuel would you recommend for the NC? 

fuel

Octane ratings

Petrol - paying more to save money

Hope this helps, (although you may well end up even more confused!)

• Thanks 1
Totally_Lost

As most RON95 fuels contain at least 5% ethanol to reduce the pollution (so the government says), I take BP Ultimate 98 when I can, or Shell V-Power 98 in other occasions. These fuels contain no ethanol (BP) or little to none (Shell). As we propably all know, ethanol attracts water, will damage rubber and silicone over time and has much lower energy in it.

I do not ride that much per year (6,000 kms on average) and using the RON98 fuels, roughly costs me 20 Euros more (=10%) than when using RON95. I want the best for my bike, always have and those extra Euro's, I really don't care. On the other side, with RON98 the average fuel consumption is around 10% better than on RON95, which equals out the higher price each time. :cheers:

These more expensive fuels, do not make the bike run faster, but the throttle respons is more instant and it picks up easier on low rpm. :thumbsup:

Edited by Totally_Lost
  • Like 1

Can't say I've ever run it in my bike. That being said, every so often I treat Clouseau IV (my car) to a tank of it. The pick up when the turbo kicks in is noticeable and the torque feels a little bit stronger; plus i can usually get 3/4mpg more out of it. In terms of cost advantage, I don't think it's enough to recoup the extra cost but I don't doubt it'll keep the engine cleaner for longer.

Spindizzy

Its a bit like what coffee do you like, instant or the pricey stuff sh*t out the back of a weasel. If it floats your boat drink it but little difference to your body.

What petrol in the UK is a click bait  topic for practitioners of snake oil and dream catchers.

We all want to do what is best for our two wheeled pride and joy, however as far as fuel in the UK its more Placebo marketing unless its a highly tuned performance machine where the minor percentages are important.

Edited by Spindizzy

I was told by a local driving instructor that the 98 fuel will clean the engine better and obtain better mileage. Don’t know if it’s true but I’ve had no trouble since switching. It certainly makes a difference in my Audi S3, so why not for the NC. At least you know it probably won’t hurt, especially since there seems to be a lot more 98 sold here (based on comments about waiting time due to lack of use of the pump).

Dont bother on this bike ,but i do use v boost in my diesel car if im going to do a long run .   the garage tells me it beneficial to clean.the injectors  before mots etc,

Slowboy

Stick whatever you like in it, it'll run fine and return pretty near the same economy and power.

But not diesel, they don't like that.😎

• Sigh 1
Bigglesaircraft

Has anyone experimented by putting some Castrol R into their petrol to get that wonderful smell. If so how much per tank full of petrol and did it make any noticeable difference to anything including the smell.

Edited by Bigglesaircraft
Spelling again !!!!!!!
  • Sigh 1
coopers12345

Used 98 for a couple of tanks in the NC, found no difference in power, speed or fuel consumption. Now I just use the cheapest.

13 hours ago, Robert said:

Hi everyone, I'm using only 98 octane fuel in my Integra 700, what about you ?

Wasting your money.

My Duacti Daivel definately likes the 98, but is is a high compressing performance motorcycle.

Will make no difference to the NC / Integra (Apart from your wallet)

wingrider.steve

I have tried 98 octane (Shell V-Power) in my 1800 Wing and the only time it has made any difference is when riding at high altitude in the Alps etc when it definitely helped compensate for the slight drop in power due to the altitude. Everywhere else it made no noticeable difference at all.

• Like 1
Guest Wilso122

I use 98 in the Subaru as its meant to use 98, put it in bikes occasionally to give a clean from what I understand it will run hotter so unless all your valves etc are meant / Made to run hotter using a 98, its a bad idea long term. No expert by any means just what I understand. Mate who is a helicopter engineer and biker was trying to explain it, honestly didn’t understand half of what he was saying :)

If you are getting misfire / pinking then stop using that and cheap tesco type petrol if you use it, higher ethonal and other additives to make it cheaper. 

Defender
18 hours ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

Has anyone experimented by putting some Castrol R into their petrol to get that wonderful smell. If so how much per tank full of petrol and did it make any noticeable difference to anything including the smell.

I wouldn't do that, as it could well knacker the catalyst and cause the EML to flash up warning?

• Like 1
Bigglesaircraft
27 minutes ago, Defender said:

I wouldn't do that, as it could well knacker the catalyst and cause the EML to flash up warning?

Good point , just thought I would ask.

On 10/02/2018 at 16:51, Spindizzy said:

We all want to do what is best for our two wheeled pride and joy, however as far as fuel in the UK its more Placebo marketing unless its a highly tuned performance machine where the minor percentages are important.

The big Yamaha racers require a right concoction. Mixed in secret (in the back of a Sprinter van, became the health and safety bods don’t allow fuel to be stored in the garage) it’s a heady cocktail of high octane unleaded (illegally imported to the Island  - shhhh :) ) race fuel and Av-Gas. I have probably taken years off my life breathing the fumes of that shit. 

The rules say no more than 10 litres (seriously!) can be stored. That would get one bike to Ramsey - then what? Ever more inventive methods of hiding the stuff are surfacing. We thought we’d cracked it by stacking tyres up and hiding Jerry cans in there. Turns out that was what everyone did.. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
electric_monk
57 minutes ago, Tex said:

The big Yamaha racers require a right concoction. Mixed in secret (in the back of a Sprinter van, became the health and safety bods don’t allow fuel to be stored in the garage) it’s a heady cocktail of high octane unleaded (illegally imported to the Island  - shhhh :) ) race fuel and Av-Gas. I have probably taken years off my life breathing the fumes of that shit. 

The rules say no more than 10 litres (seriously!) can be stored. That would get one bike to Ramsey - then what? Ever more inventive methods of hiding the stuff are surfacing. We thought we’d cracked it by stacking tyres up and hiding Jerry cans in there. Turns out that was what everyone did.. :D 

Let me know when you write your book Tex...

I'll be first in line

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Wedgepilot

I think the NC engine is actually designed to run on 91, so even 95 is a bit overkill. But whatever floats your boat. 

98 is only needed for highly tuned or turbo engines. My Saab turbo is able to run higher boost with 98, it's definitely noticeable. With 95 the knock sensor has to wind back the boost a bit.

• Thanks 1