98 Octane fuel - your opinions

Robert

TheEnglishman

I did a month on BP Ultimate and another on Shell Advance or whatever they call it.

The only difference it made was to my bank balance.  So I'm back to the cheapest supermarket stuff I can find on my route in.

I use 98 ron on the SV on track days  as it gets hot and high ron fuel is potentially better in heated conditions? I think I read that somewhere - I'll not likely ever experience the difference but why not?

My r1200GS had a knock sensor and definitely went further on 98 ron fuel.  The increase in MPG was offset by the price so I just noticed I went 15% further between fuel stops.  Win!

• Like 1

In the NC I generally use the cheapest but always put Tescos 99 in the DT whenever I can. When I have used other stuff I can't say I've noticed any real difference though.

• Like 1

Only bike it make any difference in was my Sprint RS.  It loved the V stuff from Shell and would go better, with a higher top end and crisper acceleration.  Makes no difference in my other bikes I've had.

Thank you guys, you've been very helpful, so many excellent comments including the smallest details.

15 minutes ago, Robert said:

Thank you guys, you've been very helpful, so many excellent comments including the smallest details.

There is no avoiding ethanol, its in a lot of the, "Super" and other 98/99 Octane stuff. The NC is built to handle ethanol in fuel and should run on whatever you throw at it. There's now advantage to putting more expensive fuel in it.

Brucetreker

The benefit of higher octane fuel is dependent on the bike being able to adjust for the fuel. The NC is fairly efficient in its fuel use so probably no difference as they most likely did not put in the ability to adjust to higher octane. The higher octane will not hurt and the oil companies put in cleaners and other additives to get the consumer to buy it. These cleaners are beneficial to the engine. With no adjustment for the higher octane it is possible that more heat may be absorbed by the coolant but should be minimal. 

if you arn't using the bike too much over winter is the 98 better, as less chance of water forming in the tank???

7 hours ago, horobags said:

if you arn't using the bike too much over winter is the 98 better, as less chance of water forming in the tank???

You’re better off using a proper fuel stabiliser. I’m using Sta-Bil (can be bought from Amazon). Inexpensive, enough in a bottle to see both my Triumphs through about 10 winters. :) 

• Like 2
Slowboy
On 17/02/2018 at 09:03, horobags said:

Sadly I don't think so, it's the ethanol content that absorbs water, and it's no better in 98 octane, might even be worse if ethanol is the octane booster.

Anyone got the definitive answer?

• Like 1
Brucetreker

Over here in Canada there is gas antifreeze which is isopropyl alcohol. This will absorb excess moisture and resists separating out. Ethanol does the same thing but when the moisture content gets too high the ethanol water combination separates out from the fuel and generally sinks to the bottom of your fuel tank potentially causing many different problems. If the moisture content of the fuel is small then no problem.

Storing over the winter, there are two camps for fuel systems. One, completely drain, or two put in a long term stabilizer and run for at least 5 min and have the tank full for the storage period. This reduces the resin forming in any deteriorated fuel, allowing easier startup when you start reusing the bike. The stabilizer does not really address moisture.  The full tank reduces any moisture getting into the fuel as the air space above the fuel is minimal. I use the second method as it’s easier and straight forward. The most trouble I have had with moisture in storage is for summer storage of snowmobiles. There is a storage product over here that attaches to the fuel filler in place of the petrol cap that has drying beads in it to prevent moisture  getting in. I think this might be overkill in most places except for excessive moisture. 

If you are worried about occasional riding, and moisture, every second tank add some gas line antifreeze (isopropyl alcohol) for piece of mind. Always follow directions for best results. 

• Like 1
Graham NZ
On 2/12/2018 at 09:31, Wedgepilot said:

I think the NC engine is actually designed to run on 91, so even 95 is a bit overkill. But whatever floats your boat. 

Bull's eye!

It isn't true that red bikes and clean bikes are faster either.

Rev Ken
27 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

Bull's eye!

It isn't true that red bikes and clean bikes are faster either.

I accept red bikes aren't faster, but when I clean my bike it goes much faster as wind resistance and weight are reduced. :devil:

• Haha 1