Tutoro Oiler Location - will this work?

Guest AceTallPaul

Guest AceTallPaul

After much research on the forum, I ordered a Tutoro  Oiler for my 2018 NC750-X DCT.  

Tutoro advised fitting it to the rear sub frame down tube above pillion foot rest hanger using a rubber lined P clip (which they do not supply).

Looking at other installs, and given that I won't ever have a pillion, does anyone see any issues in using their brackets to attach it directly to the inside of the pillion foot rest hanger?  It seems a convenient point, and because I've turned it outward, not inward, it is well away from the swing arm.

I've put it on the offside, as it looks like an easier path for the hose down and across to the chain.  Waiting for any comments before I do the full install...

Thanks in advance...

IMG_2351.jpg.ca785c1630ed1e193ade54603dbcbb0d.jpgIMG_2353.jpg.df6d23bdb80bd7fe6718d76eb5ee6e74.jpgIMG_2353.jpg.df6d23bdb80bd7fe6718d76eb5ee6e74.jpgIMG_2352.jpg.77bef87c463843a8926cb6e967d619fe.jpgIMG_2351.jpg.ca785c1630ed1e193ade54603dbcbb0d.jpg

gonzo

The only comment i can make is in that position it will get covered in crap, I fitted a cobra for that reason ,its up on the handle bars .. good luck.!!

Graham NZ

Paul, your intended installation looks sensible to me.  Those threaded bosses have a use as well as for luggage attachment.  The point about road crap is valid so if the vent on the unit could take in water etc could it be fitted with a tube or something?

In due course please tell us about the amount of oil fling you get and the oil type you're using.

This is my fitting of the Tutoro Oiler. I have fitted it to the inside of the rear foot rest but on the left hand side. It’s clear of the swing arm & hasn’t caused any problems as yet. I use the Scottoiler oil & get a little oil fling showing on the underside of the rear trim on that side & on the rear of the number plate but nothing to worry about.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2
Guest AceTallPaul

Thanks Ron, I’d seen other posts about fitting it on the inside and it catching the swing arm - but you seem to have avoided that.

Looks like you have used two of the Tutoro brackets?  I think its you use of the small half moon shaped one, rather than the 90 degree that they suggest, which has kept it clear of the swing arm?

I’ll try that set up.

If you get a chance, could you post pics of your tube routing too?

tnx

You are right, the use of the half moon bracket as well has keep it clear of the swing arm. I couldn’t get the unit to be clear without it and also keep it inside of the foot peg. I have also slid a piece of screen washer tubing over the pipe where it fixes to the frame and flexes when the swing arm moves up and down just to protect it and give it more support. It’s working fine and with no problems. Hope this helps you.   

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Mr Toad

Mine is fitted in a similar position but a little higher up as it's fastened to the bottom bracket of the Honda pannier fixing. 

It works really well and doesn't seem to catch too much crud. Routing of the pipe looks very similar to Ron's but I have the nozzle on the rear sprocket rather than hovering over the chain like Ron.

I know a couple of people who have routed the pipe to the front sprocket, not an easy job but it is a lot neater as the pipe is well hidden. I believe they had to modify the front sprocket cover and engine casing to get the pipe to the sprocket by using a round file to make a room for a rubber grommet, to stop the pipe wearing. 

Guest AceTallPaul

Appreciate the pics, Ron, thanks. 

Cant quite see - do you go vertically from where it attaches to the down tube straight to the swing arm, or do you give it a more winding route?

How much slack did did you leave as it connects to the swing arm to account for its movement?

or does it only move up from the base install point, so creates its own slack?

The pipe goes straight down from the down tube. The screen wash pipe just gives it bit of support and stops it kinking during suspension movement, just enough slack to allow it to flex and not touch the carrier or the swing arm. The screen wash pipe covering just protects it case it does. Then cable tied along under the arm. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Mr Toad

Ron,

it's good to see that you are keeping the bottom of the side stand clean and not skimping on the polishing. :) 

arengle

for sure will work, but be careful with the MOT because you block the footage of the passenger and I think is a failure

Agree with you about the cable ties. I was worried about the MOT aspect of the fitting but it went through last week with no comment so I think I'm ok. I've got carpet on garage floor so that helps keeping the side stand clean. It's raining here at the moment and I'm out side doing a BBQ. There all indoors on the wine, just me sitting in the summer house with a beer. ☺

Have mine fitted behind the footrest with no problem at all. Works great.

Guest AceTallPaul
5 hours ago, skm said:

The pipe goes straight down from the down tube. The screen wash pipe just gives it bit of support and stops it kinking during suspension movement, just enough slack to allow it to flex and not touch the carrier or the swing arm. The screen wash pipe covering just protects it case it does. Then cable tied along under the arm. 

Thats great info & pics - really helpful, thanks.

Guest AceTallPaul
5 hours ago, arengle said:

for sure will work, but be careful with the MOT because you block the footage of the passenger and I think is a failure

thanks - Just bought it brand new on 3 year PCP - so hopefully shouldn't have to worry about MOT... 

Graham NZ

When routing tubing from an oil reservoir to the outlet it's best to avoid potential air locks.  To do that the tubing should be as close as possible to having a fall all the way along it's length.  If the tubing goes up and down, oil flow depends on the head of oil in the reservoir.

Having endured Scottoilers on a few bikes I think I'll continue with a modern spray.  The mess on the rim in the photos is more that I will accept now, let alone the mess on the garage floor.  Having only shaft and belt drive bikes for a long time my garage has polypropylene carpet.  The Putoline spray I use has near zero fling onto the bike and zero drops on the floor.

Guest AceTallPaul

Fitted it today...  Took the chain guard off to get an easier path, and made sure the nozzle touches the sprocket like it said in the manual.  I turned it to 1 turn, but not sure enough was coming out.  Now at 1.5, and still not sure.  Will need to check, I guess and adjust until its right.  I don't supposes there is a "number of turns to degree of temperature chart...?"

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

Nice fitment. Looking good. Glad the info came in handy. It will be trial & error till you get it set. 

Guest DelBoy
On 4/26/2018 at 23:11, skm said:

This is my fitting of the Tutoro Oiler. I have fitted it to the inside of the rear foot rest but on the left hand side. It’s clear of the swing arm & hasn’t caused any problems as yet. I use the Scottoiler oil & get a little oil fling showing on the underside of the rear trim on that side & on the rear of the number plate but nothing to worry about.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

That looks pretty identical to how I have mine fitted.

Bike is my commuter (800 miles per week) so sees a lot of horrible weather.

I have had no problems at all with it either getting covered in crap or water getting in through the breather hole.

I do check that the breather is not blocked every time I take the cap of to top up the oil though.

Guest DelBoy
On 4/29/2018 at 19:53, AceTallPaul said:

Fitted it today...  Took the chain guard off to get an easier path, and made sure the nozzle touches the sprocket like it said in the manual.  I turned it to 1 turn, but not sure enough was coming out.  Now at 1.5, and still not sure.  Will need to check, I guess and adjust until its right.  I don't supposes there is a "number of turns to degree of temperature chart...?"

You will have to monitor it and adjust as the temperature varies, as long as the chain looks "wet" and there is not oil on the side wall of the tyre you will be ok.

Tend to get a light coating of oil on the wheel rim, which I clean off with a bit of paraffin when needed.

Graham NZ
1 hour ago, DelBoy said:

Tend to get a light coating of oil on the wheel rim, which I clean off with a bit of paraffin when needed.

Ewww!

Slowboy
2 hours ago, DelBoy said:

You will have to monitor it and adjust as the temperature varies, as long as the chain looks "wet" and there is not oil on the side wall of the tyre you will be ok.

Same here, but I use WD40 to clean the wheel rim.😀

Guest DelBoy
57 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Same here, but I use WD40 to clean the wheel rim.😀

Paraffin cheaper as I usually do the whole back end