Valve clearance check and adjustment...?

Guest gn2

Hi, I am considering buying an NC700S and intend to do my own servicing so I have a few questions about the valves.

Can anyone tell me what method is used to adjust the valve clearances, is it screw and locknuts or is it shims?

If it's shims can they be swapped without removing the camshaft?

And finally, what mileage interval for checking the valve clearances does Honda quote in the service schedule in the users manual?

Gn2 i think I saw on another forum they are screw adjusters and they require adjusting every 12000km

From nc700x manual but should be the same for S

i-cBshLHc-XL.jpg

i-7GcjsK5-XL.jpg

Edited by tc3

Thanks Tony, very helpful info. :D

Does it put you off at all?

Guest martroy

As Tony said, screw and locknut adjusters, the only problem I can see is the radiator, it looks like you would have to disconnect one end of the rad and swing it out of the way. I would love to get my hands on a service manual just to see if that's the case. Maybesome friendly Honda mechanic will join the forum and let us know...hint, hint !

I know the service manual is available in german. I'm unable to find it in spanish. Do you know, english speaking guys, if it's available in english?

I saw a download for the X here

Rocker66

I think that we may have to be carefull with copyright issues here. Over to you Ted

Rocker66

They certainly got uptight overthere when someone refered to this forum

8000 mile interval = not as good as it could be

Much better than having to remove the camshafts just to change a shim, like on some bikes! :D

They certainly got uptight overthere when someone refered to this forum

Oh dear :(

I've removed the link as it's not fair linking to other forums.

Oops my bad....was not thinking

Much better than having to remove the camshafts just to change a shim, like on some bikes! :D

Ah yes, the dreaded under bucket shims favoured by Kawasaki.

IMO screw and locknut is preferable to shims for the home mechanic.

I knew that the service interval for the NC700 was 8000 miles but I had been hoping that the valve clearance check would be every other service.

Ah yes, the dreaded under bucket shims favoured by Kawasaki.

IMO screw and locknut is preferable to shims for the home mechanic.

I knew that the service interval for the NC700 was 8000 miles but I had been hoping that the valve clearance check would be every other service.

Kawasaki had a great system on their 4cyl bikes. My zx9r had the rockers held in place by springs and to change a shim you only had to slide the rocker along the shaft to expose the top of the valve. Brilliant system!

I was thinking about the Honda set-up with the Blackbird etc.

An 8,000 inspection interval is about as much as you can get away with when using screw and locknuts. The vibration of the engine always has an effect.

It's not very likely that Honda will do a service manual. All their manuals are now online with their dealer network and require a secure log-in to access them.

So unless someone gains access and copies the manual page by page then it's not going to happen. Honda really don't want home servicing of their machines and their recent policy with workshop manuals seems to re-enforce this stance. Howerver, there are reports of a German language version in two parts, so you never know, an English manual may surface eventually.

The only realistic prospect is if Haynes or Clymer etc deem the bike popular enough to release a manual. Having had past experience with the "Haynes book of lies" this may or may not be a good thing!

Kawasaki had a great system on their 4cyl bikes. My zx9r had the rockers held in place by springs and to change a shim you only had to slide the rocker along the shaft to expose the top of the valve. Brilliant system!

I was thinking about the Honda set-up with the Blackbird etc.

I was thinking about older Kawasakis, maybe a bit before your time...?

(I'm officially an old phart)

An 8,000 inspection interval is about as much as you can get away with when using screw and locknuts. The vibration of the engine always has an effect.

Very true.

Just a shame that Honda went with a 270 layout instead of a 360.

I have had a ride on an NC this morning and I have to say my initial impression is not entirely favourable.

In my opinion Honda should have concentrated their efforts on making it silky smooth rather than trying to retain "character".

It's not very likely that Honda will do a service manual. All their manuals are now online with their dealer network and require a secure log-in to access them.

Given that the manual contains information vital for keeping the vehicle roadworthy and in a safe condition for its intended use on the public highway, I don't see that Honda can hope to keep this information from the public, especially in the USA.

Its not in the public interest for Honda to keep the manual from being published.

It's not very likely that Honda will do a service manual

Here you can buy it in german, and seems to be made by Honda...

http://axo-shop.de/shop/article_HOWHBNC700/HONDA-Werkstatt-Handbuch-NC700.html?sessid=BE1aiKrxvuUrXKebr778zobzYtE1PWBHZYTRv1NueZrOqVrI8b1vPheMXcGWUMXc&shop_param=cid%3D565%26aid%3DHOWHBNC700%26

I don't understand why do they have it available in german, but not in english, not to speak about spanish...

HTH

Probably some law obligation: In the land of brute tight logic, everybody maybe entitled into buying all maintenance tools for his vehicle at a fair price, who knows?

Me, I think exactly this: If you sell a vehicle you should provide all relevant tools to the vehicle user's whether you like it or not.

The proper use of these tools is the owner's obligation. Surely a more responsible manufacturer's stance than leave broke owners fight with improper tools degrading the roadworthiness of repairs done.

Guest lazyrider

Post by gn2

" I was thinking about older Kawasakis, maybe a bit before your time...?

(I'm officially an old phart) "

Had a Z1b a long time ago, to swap a shim on that, you rotated the engine till the valve was depressed, a tool was inserted and clamped to the head with a screw, engine rotated back wards till the camlobe was clear of the shim (which lived in a reccess on top of the cam follower), old shim removed new shim fitted, engine turned forward till lode depressed follower slightly, remove tool, job done. Easy......

Edited by lazyrider