Valve clearance check and adjustment...?

Guest gn2

Sounds like the shims on my old GS850, didn't know some Kawasakis were like this, that's the good thing about forums, you learn new stuff all the time. :)

AFAIK Kawasaki still do underbucket shims and the ER-6 has them.

Guest motorboy

Yes the old Kawasaki"s and Suzuki used the same shim on top of bucket very easy to set only problem was this was before rev limiters the Kaw would spit a shim if a valve floated most of the time the shim would go through the valve cover(not good).The Kawasaki 650 4 cylinder of 1976 was the first bike to use shim under bucket..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chickenflaps

Very true.

Just a shame that Honda went with a 270 layout instead of a 360.

I have had a ride on an NC this morning and I have to say my initial impression is not entirely favourable.

In my opinion Honda should have concentrated their efforts on making it silky smooth rather than trying to retain "character".

...and yet I rather like the 270 degree feel of the engine, it's slightly V-twin like in sound, particularly on the over-run - I guess one man's meat is another man's poison eh?

Rocker66

As a guy that loves Vs both twins & 4s this suits me just fine

• 1 year later...
Guest jengedal

fond this vid on youtube for those who want to chek valve...

im done with my dealer he said about 1500 dkkr but ended up with 3000 double up.. and can see they havent cleaned the brakes just as dirty as when they got it up for winter.

The brake fluid on the rear brake is still just above min. was that from the beginning.
as a car mecanik tho i havent worked as it for almost 10 years i think i can do it better my self. and cheaper. kit only cost 1000dkkr 

Edited by jengedal
  • 2 months later...
TheEnglishman

Well valve clearances are dead easy to do - this looks like a really good home service bike :-)

glencoeman

The only reason, I think, for the right hand camshaft cover to be removed is to make sure that the cylinder being measured is on the compression stroke. As you turn the engine over, you can see the inlet valve springs coming back up. Then slowly turn the engine till the appropriate cylinder mark appears in the small hole on the left crankcase cover. You should be on the correct position to measure the valve clearances for that particular cylinder.