NC750X - Tyre Pressures

DCTPaul

Having a mooch in the garage earlier...

Fitted the fly lead for the battery charger...

Decided to check the tyre pressures...

32 Front 36 Rear...

Got a reasonable guage, Halfords pro with bleed off... So i always go over with the foot pump gauge, and bleed down to the correct pressure...

32 F and 36 R sounds to much of a coincidence for guage descrepancy, or change in temperature etc... And likely pressures for a number of models...

Book says 36 F and 42 R...

What pressures ya running and why?

Std New OE tyres - Bridgestone Battle Wings?

Edited by DCTPaul

same bike same tyres 32 front 34 rear , any higher and I feel and hear the tread pattern, ran it when new at 38 rear and I noticed a definite flattening of the centre of the tyre  

outrunner

Presently running Michelin Road 5 tyres on my 750X dct with 34 front and 38 rear which suits me fine but tyre pressures (like tyres) are a very personal thing depending on the total weight the bike is carrying, the way you ride, etc.

Andy.

• Like 1

Well I adjusted the tyre pressure this morning on my other bike and they were down 31 and 40 so I fill to the required pressure stud 36/42 cold and these raised to 39/46 + - when on the move . So should these be adjusted down to the std pressure when on the move..

KingJames

36 42 on PR5.  Feels like it is most stable and predictable with those for me   Amazing what happens to the cold tyre pressure now we are in autumn rather than summer temps. Well worth everyone checking them.

• Like 1
poldark
3 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Well I adjusted the tyre pressure this morning on my other bike and they were down 31 and 40 so I fill to the required pressure stud 36/42 cold and these raised to 39/46 + - when on the move . So should these be adjusted down to the std pressure when on the move..

Nope all road bike pressures are quoted cold, so adjust before riding, they'll all rise when warmed so it's the simplest way to ensure you're comparing like-for-like.

I have Dunlop Sportsmax tyres and run 33F/36R, as per Dunlop recommendation.

Personally the 36/42 often quoted is simply a legal protection, a bike's owner can fit any sort of tyre after OEM supplied is worn, so how on earth can the bike maker advise the right pressures, it's the specific fitted tyre manufacturer's recommendation that is key.

• Like 2
Sinclair48K

I run 36F and 42R, as mentioned before in very warm weather this goes up to about 39F and 46R, in the cold in the mornings its about 32F and 39R

alhendo1
On Saturday, October 05, 2019 at 18:50, poldark said:

Personally the 36/42 often quoted is simply a legal protection, a bike's owner can fit any sort of tyre after OEM supplied is worn, so how on earth can the bike maker advise the right pressures, it's the specific fitted tyre manufacturer's recommendation that is key.

When I fitted my PR5s I emailed Michelin asking for their recommended pressures for my CB500x sizes....their reply.....use the manufacturer specified pressures....I thought that was a bit odd....

DaveM59

How can the tyre manufacturer say? They don't know what bike their tyres are going to be fitted to, after all a lot of bikes all use the same sizes.

Unless they are the OEM sole supplier and then are privvy to test riders determination they can't say as they aren't experts on vehicles, only tyres.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where everyone above gets their pressures from , my swing arm sticker says 26/30 with stock Dunlop D609 fitted , I’ve increased to 28/32 and the tyres feel very hard.

Did my first multiday trip on the nc750x t'other day and checked the tyres before leaving (30f / 36r as set by dealer). I set to 36f / 42r as per manual. May be because  i was on an epic expedition to the south coast rather than the usual local tesco trip, or perhaps because of the high tyre press, but ave fuel consumption improved from 78mpg to (on one day) 100.6mpg. Didn't notice any difference in tyre noise, ie still woeful (OEM BBWings). Folks say f tyres wear fast on these bikes due to large wt on f wheel; so how come tyre pressures much lower on the f end? And yes the tyres are flat across centre line but can't recall their state before the trip so no help ~doh! All units psi.

Edited by MPG100

36F and 38 rear.  The recommended 42 rear is totally unnecessary imho when riding solo. I only use that sort of pressure when carrying a pillion. 

To BigAls perhaps the incorrect sticker on your bike ? Obviously different jurisdiction too.  Congrats on the big win this morning by the way. 

• Like 1
Graham NZ

34/38 in my T31 set feels fine.  Fronts wear a lot faster than rears on my bike.  I suspect I corner harder than I accelerate on it because it steers nicely and has modest power and brakes.  The first to sign off is the right side of the front, no doubt because of road camber on the mainly fairly narrow roads I use most.

trisaki
On 02/11/2019 at 04:12, BigAls said:

Not sure where everyone above gets their pressures from , my swing arm sticker says 26/30 with stock Dunlop D609 fitted , I’ve increased to 28/32 and the tyres feel very hard.

Not on a NC! , recommended pressures are 36psi front,  42psi rear , more suitable for pillion carrying , solo I use 34psi front,  38psi rear 

• Like 2
listener
8 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

Fronts wear a lot faster than rears on my bike.

I wonder why ... ? :D

image-450w-37252342.jpg

My pressures are 35psi front, 40psi rear.

I generally get around 1.5 times the mileage for the front as I do from the rear.

• Haha 1