Honda Datatool Tracker

Mister Paul

Tigger had a Tracker fitted by the dealer. It was not exactly hidden  as I could see it beneath the saddle. Might get round to getting a cheapo one for same reasons as Andy - so SWMBO knows which ditch to look in if I go missing.

Black Marauder

O.K. then ...flat battery after 8weeks of no engine running , so to disconnect/ immobilise is  it a trip back to the dealer with possibly a charge, or find it & disconnect it or have it always connecting to a (mains supply) optimate type charger.....oh well got my answer & not a wise decision to have one , glad not to have paid the yearly subscription ......yet due lack of use ! The lawn mower started on the third pull after 5mths non use ! 

Andy m
46 minutes ago, pjm said:

I wouldn't have a Range Rover if you gave it to me. 

Yeah, but that's because they are unreliable over-priced gas-guzzling  sheds :lol:

The trailer telematics units don't need an aerial, you can bounce radio waves off the road. So long as it isn't in a Faraday cage they work. We chassis mount them pointing out sideways. On a car or bike build it into anything that see's the sky and makes the vehicle obvious if removed  like the the rear light cluster, GPS aerial hump, dashboard near the rain sensor, radar unit on the grill....the bigger and more expensive already the better. Try selling a stolen bike with no tank, I'm sure you'd get less for it.

Andy

4 hours ago, fred_jb said:

You should call them and see if they will put the subscription on pause.  BikeTrac will do that.

Rewire Fred as Andy's, but it ran out 12months ago:blink:

I am going to get a relay type, one that looks like a normal 30amp relay..wire that in and fit another cheapo next

to it so that is seen first.. Well that's the plan when i get another NC this year..

On 28/01/2021 at 14:10, Andy m said:

The Samsung Tag things look interesting. Too expensive yet to scatter about, but could be hidden in all sorts of devices and property.

received and "fitted". So far impressed by: 

- size - it is really easy to place anywhere 

- battery - it is replaceable and the app shows you an aprox % of charge left (really handy) 

- network - samsung network makes a difference - as even if off the grid - the bike get located in max 1hr 

I do think this is a cheap and "dirty" alternative to a proper GPS tracker. 

• Like 1
fred_jb

Sounds interesting, although the Samsung network facility relies on other people allowing their devices to sacrifice battery life by allowing continuous scanning for other nearby Samsung devices.  I have it turned off on my Samsung phone.  Don't want to waste battery or have Samsung tracking my every move!

• Thanks 1
Andy m

Just read the spec, its not exactly comprehensive. Tile, the competitors,  claim a Bluetooth range of 60m which in my experience is line of sight*. The only certainty then is your own phone (I turn my Bluetooth off to save power). The Samsung cloud idea is great but not entirely reliable. I think these are going to be a useful backup to a network based tracker rather than a replacement. Tile at half the price are very quiet about the cloud thing but are apparently working on a version that will add wireless. If your thief calls for a Maccy-D you'll have him!**

*You can control your trailer from your phone if you want to. Across the yard, 60m is believable but in the cab (Faraday cage) the spec is 7m.

**Loads of apps are trying this approach. Now while Amazon might bung Maccy-D a few quid to be able to track their loads on the cheap there is a limit. The coffee shops want your data to try and sell you coffee. One coffee sold to ten passing devices flys, one coffee to 10000, 9980 of them robots doesn't, they'll put access codes on the cups. 

Andy

15 hours ago, Andy m said:

Just read the spec, its not exactly comprehensive. Tile, the competitors,  claim a Bluetooth range of 60m which in my experience is line of sight*. The only certainty then is your own phone (I turn my Bluetooth off to save power). The Samsung cloud idea is great but not entirely reliable. I think these are going to be a useful backup to a network based tracker rather than a replacement. Tile at half the price are very quiet about the cloud thing but are apparently working on a version that will add wireless. If your thief calls for a Maccy-D you'll have him!**

*You can control your trailer from your phone if you want to. Across the yard, 60m is believable but in the cab (Faraday cage) the spec is 7m.

**Loads of apps are trying this approach. Now while Amazon might bung Maccy-D a few quid to be able to track their loads on the cheap there is a limit. The coffee shops want your data to try and sell you coffee. One coffee sold to ten passing devices flys, one coffee to 10000, 9980 of them robots doesn't, they'll put access codes on the cups. 

Andy

based on my research. 

the equivalent tile model (120m range and button battery) is the tile pro - cost £29.99 (same as samsung) 

Tile network is based on mobiles with tile app 

Samsung network is based on any samsung mobile (in the future also any Android/iOs running smartthings) 

the advantage of Samsung is that the app is not "tag specific" but is the app - preloaded on any samsung - to control smart devices. Also any samsung user - if they want the "find my mobile" option - will be part of the mesh (by default this is set are ON and you have to turn it off in case) 

said that - I have the bike in my garage (out of range from my mobile). The garage is not in a  spot with lots of people walking by. I keep receiving updated location max 1hr old from other samsung users. Imho - it works. 

of course this is a "nice try" - I am not saying this will save my bike. But given the price - worth adding it and hope not to have to test it :) 

• Like 1

Question about the Samsung Tab. Do I need to have a Samsung phone for it to work/use it?

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, baben said:

Question about the Samsung Tab. Do I need to have a Samsung phone for it to work/use it?

No it's stand alone. 

1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

No it's stand alone. 

Will the samsung ap operate on other phones?

48 minutes ago, baben said:

Will the samsung ap operate on other phones?

unfortunately the answer for the time being is yes - you need a galaxy device. 

Currently the "find" part of the smartthings app has been released for samsung device only. 

Looks like smartthings app on other android/iOs devices will see the tag but there are no functions. 

Samsung said already it will extend the "find" module to all smartthings app in the future. 

For the time being though, unless you have a galaxy mobile or tablet - you will not be able to use the tag. 

Apple is about to launch their own tag - should be by end of 2021. 

Tile works on any device, but the finding network is limited to tile users. 

checking on google app store - Tile app has been downloaded 1m times - smartthings 500m times (+all samsung devices which do not need to download it as pre-instelled) 

this should give you the idea of the different scale (once the app will be fully functional on any device) 

Edited by Fabrizio

Thanks Fabrizio.

Mr Toad

Not sure I understand the problem.

I have a Samsung tablet, albeit an older one, and it works perfectly well without any link to a Samsung phone. Are you trying to do something else with it that does need a Samsung phone?

1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

Not sure I understand the problem.

I have a Samsung tablet, albeit an older one, and it works perfectly well without any link to a Samsung phone. Are you trying to do something else with it that does need a Samsung phone?

he wrote TAB but was meant to be TAG :)

this one 

https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-accessories/galaxy-smarttag-black-ei-t5300bbegeu/

• Thanks 1
sterling01

I had a similar battery dead problem back in May. And I have a Honda fitted Datatool Tracker. Bike had not moved for about 6 weeks, battery was dead. So I charged it overnight and took it for a 65 mile run. Put it back in the garage and didnt start it again for a month. During that time though, I took frequent readings.
05/05    65miles

06/05    12.73v
08/05    12.75v
10/05    12.74v
13/05    12.72v
16/05    12.64v
21/05    12.55v
25/05    12.43v

I've never had the problem since. Dont know if its related. As lockdown eased, I used the bike every few days.

Found this too, think I will be getting this one when I eventually get a new bike. Small monthly payment and doesn't require it to be connected to the battery and drain it. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/452765

Different topic, what do you use disc lock and chain wise. I know cheap and cheerful shouldn't be used when securing your pride and job but I know we all have different budgets. 

Mister Paul
On 1/25/2021 at 17:51, Xactly said:

I enquired about free Datatool tracker when I bought my NC750X in October. Dealer said the same as when I bought Crossrunner the previous year - lot of trouble with flat batteries. I could have one if I really wanted though. I don’t. I have too many friends with stories about them playing up. My choice. 

Sounds like they weren't confident about or couldn't be bothered to fit one. 

I got my X in August 2020. The initial tracker was faulty (only issue was low battery alerts) and replaced under warranty. During lockdowns the bike has sat unused for weeks at a time, with no trickle charger. Always starts on the button.

BTW Hunts fitted mine. Sounds like they did it right. Fowlers replaced the faulty one and couldn't find the original. I believe they had to call Fowlers to find out where they'd hidden it. 

Edited by Mister Paul

You’re probably right; if I had been really bothered I would have insisted. The dealer is actually pretty good as they go.

• Like 1