New Tyre Puncture Repaired!

steelhorseuk

Andy m

The Gloop manufacturers claiming it "washes out with water" is pretty close to a lie. I was supposed to sell the stuff a few years ago and we tried it. Jetwash and parts cleaner in multiple cycles all failed to shift it so a plug would stick. Truck tyres are more expensive than bike tyres (although pence per mile is much better value) so they can throw a lot of labour at a repair. Even the argument of getting a petrol tanker off the hard shoulder before Plod decides to hold the M-25 carnival at your expense made little sense, better to drive slowly on the rim and replace the tyre anyway. The only use for the stuff would be up the desert.

Still, I did gain a nifty little inflator that lets me steal air from any truck or workshop that now lives in the car.

Andy

• Like 1
fj_stuart

On the subject of punctures. When I was picking up the tyre for the SV I got a tubeless repair kit. It’s a Cargol Turn & Go. Simply a plastic screw that you install and break off the tab. Potentially a repair in a minute. I carry a kit on all my bikes but some must be decades old. This old one (Metzeler?) uses rubber rings for plugs. The Turn & Go does away with reaming out the hole and using glue. Has anyone experience of using this kit? And if so did it work?

P1220337

Not used one but they sell them at Visorshop and Infinity Motorcycles so I'm tempted to get a pack and give it a try on an old tyre/wheel combo that I have used previously to practice tyre plugs on. I'll et you know if I do.

The Gloop manufacturers claiming it "washes out with water" is pretty close to a lie

You aren't kidding 

We now charge a mimimum of £20 extra to deal with it ! get in the tyre machien get on you overalls and clothing and washing only sometimes clears it !

steelhorseuk

Had a guy at RJB Motorcycles in Buckingham recommended to me by Graftons Honda in MK.

I had brief chat with the guv (Ryan) who is a Honda and Triumph trained guy who has set up on his own.

He seems happy it can be permanently repaired by using a mushroom plug saving me the cost of a new tyre!

Going over Saturday morning.

• Like 2

That’s worth knowing, as Buckingham is not far from where I live. Eventually I’ll need an independent to do the Vtech valve check on my Crossrunner, about the only job I won’t do myself. Glad the NC750X has locknut and screw adjustment.

• Like 1
On 27/10/2020 at 19:59, fj_stuart said:

On the subject of punctures. When I was picking up the tyre for the SV I got a tubeless repair kit. It’s a Cargol Turn & Go. Simply a plastic screw that you install and break off the tab. Potentially a repair in a minute. I carry a kit on all my bikes but some must be decades old. This old one (Metzeler?) uses rubber rings for plugs. The Turn & Go does away with reaming out the hole and using glue. Has anyone experience of using this kit? And if so did it work?

P1220337

A friend of mine has something similar. He used it to repair a flat in the rear tyre of my then R1100RS we were repairing in his garage. Tyre was flat when I got home so I fixed it with a mushroom, glued in. I have used these several times and they’ve worked

• Like 1
On 27/10/2020 at 19:59, fj_stuart said:

P1220337

Just read a review and tbh it doesn't seem much different from the method used by dispatch riders in London in the 80's, they used a self tapping metal screw as opposed to the plastic one in the kit, possibly still do. Having said that the reviewer did say the plug and glue sort invariably had glue that didn't work if it had been in the kit for years ( as mine has of course).

• Like 1
steelhorseuk

Despite the torrential downpour I went over to RJB Motorcycles in Buckingham.

Ryan fixed my tyre with little fuss and although he hit me for £35 notes it still saved me another £100+ for another tyre.

I will probably be using RJB for most things from now on that I do not do myself.

• 4 months later...
Perthshire

Had a real nice run through the Perthshire hills between Crieff and Pitlochry.  The smile was wiped quite quickly off my face on arriving home and putting the X-ADV into the garage.  Somewhere along the way I picked up a screw in the back tire.  The shiny head of it caught my eye as I closed the garage door.   I was wondering what to do so checked out this thread.  I thought try that Bikesure gung stuff,   do a repair myself or get it down to the 'local' bike garage (the nearest being 30 miles away).  After reading this thread and watching Ari Henning's video I booked it into the Honda Dealer (51 miles) for a plug&patch repair.  Bike due an oil change anyway and it is still under warranty so want service that stamp in the book.

Gringo

Agree, get a proper repair. The plugs are a get you home repair in my view. I had small screw in my rear tyre last year. I left in the tyre as it wasn't losing any pressure and had professionally repaired when I got home. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
MatBin

About to find out if my rear tyre can be plugged by local bike shop.

Got all kitted up for a ride this morning only to see a lovely shiny screw head looking at me and no pressure in the tyre. Was new on last year do probably done less than 3000 miles.

• Sad 2
steelhorseuk

Hope you get it sorted Matt.

• Thanks 1
Andy m

If it's in the tread don't take no for an answer, there are too many places prepared to lie and say can't when they mean won't. If they won't, try another. 

Andy

• Like 1

I repaired a puncture with the waxy string type kit. It kept pressure so well I totally forgot about it and it's been in the tyre over 12 months.

• Like 2
PoppetM

Neighbours cat used my front tyre as a scratch post the other day. I found him asleep on my saddle under the cover.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
MatBin
2 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Neighbours cat used my front tyre as a scratch post the other day. I found him asleep on my saddle under the cover.

Funny you should say that, lifted the cover off my bike for today's ride, I covered the bike up last week after I washed it, only to find cat puke under the bike and down one of the engine casings, then saw cat prints all over the seat. I shall go through my CCTV to find out which one of my flea bag moggies * is responsible :)

*One is a £400 Maine Coon and my money is on her, the other a freebie from my daughter.

Tyre sorted for £24, bargain, 2 Wheel Centre, Harpenden. They are a bit scatty but passionate about bikes, previous owners were con merchants.

Small dealers but have some interesting 2nd hand stuff.

Suzy SV650 caught my eye, mainly for the number plate MJ 13 AKU, could make that look like MJB, my initials :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
kayz1

Pat has always wanted a Maine Coon, are OK to live with?

Jamesc

We are on our holidays at the moment & get regular updates on what our moggies are up to, including the occasional surprise puke. Never on my bike yet though @MatBin

• Like 1
MatBin
13 hours ago, kayz1 said:

Pat has always wanted a Maine Coon, are OK to live with?

I wouldn't buy another one.

I did extensive research after RSPCA said we couldn't have a rescue cat as we lived on a main road, we have always had rescue cats and our then current moggie had moved into the main road house with us from a previous quiet location, he coped just fine.

He was lonely apparently so we looked for a friend, got a Maine Coon female kitten. Big mistake, she is beautiful BUT she behaves more like a feral cat, very unfriendly, rarely if ever lets us stroke her, long hair falls out everywhere, you can literally see it dropping out of her as she walks, mess everywhere. Have to get her shaved once a year and that requires her being knocked out, costs about £150 a time, that is after we somehow manage to get her in her basket, not easy.

Not a clean car either, she has cra**ed on our bed, twice, the stairs 3 times, the living room and the kitchen, all this after she has come in having been out all night, no cry to be let out. We have tried a tray, she sh1ts in that and jumps straight out, doesn't cover it at all, worst cat we have ever had.

Maybe we have been unlucky.

She is also psycho, turns vicious in an instant, hates kids or anyone really apart from us occasionally, usually around food time when we can hand feed her and she seems normal, otherwise she is mental.

She's 10 now, we will look after till she dies but we won't spend a lot on her if she falls ill.

Probably guess I wouldn't recommend a pedigree, all of our moggies have been lovely, current black one is an absolute softy and tolerates her nastiness towards him.

Save your money get a moggy.

• Like 1
Jeffprince
5 hours ago, MatBin said:

, she is beautiful BUT she behaves more like a feral cat, very unfriendly, rarely if ever lets us stroke her, long hair falls out everywhere, you can literally see it dropping out of her as she walks, mess everywhere. Have to get her shaved once a year and that requires her being knocked out, costs about £150 a time, that is after we somehow manage to get her in her basket, not easy.

Not a clean car either, she has cra**ed on our bed, twice, the stairs 3 times, the living room and the kitchen, all this after she has come in having been out all night, no cry to be let out. We have tried a tray, she sh1ts in that and jumps straight out, doesn't cover it at all, worst cat we have ever had.

Maybe we have been unlucky.

She is also psycho, turns vicious in an instant, hates kids or anyone really apart from us occasionally, usually around food time when we can hand feed her and she seems normal, otherwise she is mental.

we will look after till she dies but we won't spend a lot on her if she falls ill.

...sounds like my ex-wife!

• Haha 5
MikeBike
18 minutes ago, Jeffprince said:

...sounds like my ex-wife!

Brilliant! Not sure if I should have used the Haha or sad reaction emoticon.

Q) What do you do if a bird cr*ps on your windscreen?

A) Don't ask her out again..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 28/05/2021 at 19:45, Jeffprince said:

.sounds like my ex-wife!

Nice one.