NC750X Rear shock spanner

Steve698

Is the supplied tool kit with the NC750X supposed to contain a C type spanner to adjust the rear shock preload ? Looking through mine today and it doesn't, if it's not part of the kit is there some other way of getting to and adjusting the rear shock ? It seems pretty inaccessible. 

Part of toolkit and tbh it's not easy with the supplied bit of tin either

• Like 1

C spanner  there are maney types good tool shop !

Slowboy
10 hours ago, Steve698 said:

Is the supplied tool kit with the NC750X supposed to contain a C type spanner to adjust the rear shock preload ? Looking through mine today and it doesn't, if it's not part of the kit is there some other way of getting to and adjusting the rear shock ? It seems pretty inaccessible. 

I would drop the shock out (assuming you’ve got a centre stand), do the adjustment on the bench and slip it back in. Sounds worse than it is but it’s quicker and easier in the long run. And you can take the opportunity to grease up the suspension joints.

• Like 3

You could just take the bike down to any motorcycle dealer and see if they have one that fits.

• Like 1

Plenty on the bay, some are adjustable too and look a damn sight easier to use than the crap one in the supplied toolkit. Think I might order one for myself.

• 1 year later...
NC750 CAN
On 12/12/2020 at 04:18, slowboy said:

I would drop the shock out (assuming you’ve got a centre stand), do the adjustment on the bench and slip it back in. Sounds worse than it is but it’s quicker and easier in the long run. And you can take the opportunity to grease up the suspension joints.

Say what?  Surely you jest!  That advice is like saying remove the engine, it’s easier when changing the spark plugs.  Your reply is why people should always buy a maintenance manual, and not solely rely on advice on a forum.

• Haha 1

Take no notice Brian, your experience and help is valued on here.

• Thanks 2
skorpion
3 hours ago, NC750 CAN said:

Say what?  Surely you jest!  That advice is like saying remove the engine, it’s easier when changing the spark plugs.  Your reply is why people should always buy a maintenance manual, and not solely rely on advice on a forum.

Removing the rear shock was the only way to adjust on a 2008 Kawasaki ZZR600, though not on a NC750.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
jeremyr62

Yeah, taking out the shock to adjust it is no big deal. I am swapping shocks all the time and to get the Tuono shock into the Integra swingarm I have fitted to my S, the swingarm has to come out. It's like everything. you get used to it.

Remote preload adjusters just add weight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
NC750 CAN
1 hour ago, Foxy said:

Take notice Brian.  Not everyone may have your experience, and to suggest what you did, when all you need is an appropriate ring wrench, is cavalier and not too helpful.

NC750 CAN
10 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

Yeah, taking out the shock to adjust it is no big deal. I am swapping shocks all the time and to get the Tuono shock into the Integra swingarm I have fitted to my S, the swingarm has to come out. It's like everything. you get used to it.

Remote preload adjusters just add weight.

I just think using the appropriate c scanner makes more sense.  But then again I do take off my wheels and transport them to the gas station when I want to put air in the tires.  As you say, you just get used to it.

jeremyr62

Well I did try to adjust the preload on a 2016 NC750S shock. It was not easy and despite having a range of C spanners, none of them fitted particularly well. After skinning plenty of knuckles, I resorted to a drift and a big hammer. On the S it's two castellated adjusters. On the X it's a staircase type I think. Taking it out is the easier and less damaging option in my opinion.

• Like 1
Slowboy
2 hours ago, Foxy said:

Way to resurrect an old post 😂😂

And no, not bothered, my post was based on actual experience then, and not just with an NC. 

The court Jester😂😂😂

• Like 1
Slowboy
46 minutes ago, NC750 CAN said:

Take notice Brian.  Not everyone may have your experience, and to suggest what you did, when all you need is an appropriate ring wrench, is cavalier and not too helpful.

Been building, riding and occasionally professionally spannering for 30 odd years. But you crack on with your ring wrench, we all have our own way of doing stuff.😁😜

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
NC750 CAN
1 hour ago, jeremyr62 said:

Well I did try to adjust the preload on a 2016 NC750S shock. It was not easy and despite having a range of C spanners, none of them fitted particularly well. After skinning plenty of knuckles, I resorted to a drift and a big hammer. On the S it's two castellated adjusters. On the X it's a staircase type I think. Taking it out is the easier and less damaging option in my opinion.

My kit didn’t come with a c spanner on my 2021. So I used the one I kept from my gsx-s1000f.  It slipped off a couple of times but I got it done in less than a minute.   Somehow I don’t think removing and reinstalling the shock is quicker.

sandalfarm

I adjusted the shock on my nc and it made no difference to the cheap nasty thing , perhaps if it had a decent one it might have been different 

NC750 CAN
3 hours ago, slowboy said:

Been building, riding and occasionally professionally spannering for 30 odd years. But you crack on with your ring wrench, we all have our own way of doing stuff.😁😜

I guess that’s why “professional” spannerers charge so much to do a simple thing like use a c spanner.  They charge for a couple of hours labour removing and then reinstalling a rear shock.  😉:)

• Haha 1
outrunner

I have a Hagon rear shock on my NCX and they advise removing the unit to adjust the pre-load. Taking it off,adjusting it,cleaning and greasing things and refitting takes under 1/2 hour.

Andy.

• Thanks 1

Serious question. Unless you are going two up with enough luggage to get to Uzbekistan, what are you hoping to achieve by adjusting the shock?

My advice to any new NC owner is that you have an hours horse riding lesson. You can then safely ignore anyone on a forum who tells you that the shock and the seat are medieval torture instruments.

• Haha 2
NC750 CAN
6 hours ago, outrunner said:

I have a Hagon rear shock on my NCX and they advise removing the unit to adjust the pre-load. Taking it off,adjusting it,cleaning and greasing things and refitting takes under 1/2 hour.

Andy.

Really?  You must be another professional spannerer.  Try a c spanner.  Takes me less than 30 seconds.  But, seeing as it takes you “only” 30 minutes to remove, clean, grease and refit, by all means do a video and show your skills.  I for one am interested.  

On my last gsxr1000 I could have removed and replaced the rear shock in 30 minutes, but everything is easy to get to, on the 2021 Nc750, no way.

Edited by NC750 CAN
Slowboy

note to self must not feed the trolls 😂😂😂😂🤫

• Haha 4