DCT problems

Konstantin

Konstantin

I have Honda NC750XD, 2014.

Sometimes when I acceleratе the bike, DCT behaves strangely. The engine revs are going up, but the bike is not accelerating.  The second gear is not shifting.

I tried to do DCT initialisation the process in the manual, but the D-D-N-D-N pattern failed. Have the 2sec "-" blinking and after I start the bike it doesn't complete it all the way - have the 0.5sec flashing and D+S stays ON.

I did it 10 or 12 times and I followed all the conditions. But procedure was failed.

Can you help me? What could be the problem?  Why doesn't initialization succeed?

I have already installed a new battery, changed the oil and filters.

p.s. sorry for my English, I from Belarus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Konstantin

• davebike

• MatBin

• Slowboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is similar to holding the clutch in on a manual geared bike. Not good practice, since it over time could cause wear in the throwout bearing and clutch plates. Although the driven and driving plates

Indeed.  But for those who don't know, the DCT's clutches are disengaged when in the "relaxed" position.  Oil pressure is used to push them into engagement, so there is nothing equivalent to the manua

@davebike @slowboy @MikeBike   Thank you for your help. My problem is solved! Changed CLUTCH ASSY., Honda, 22500-MKA-D51 and now my bike ride well!

outrunner

I believe on the early DCT models you do the initialization with a closed throttle as opposed to the later models where you hold the throttle open.

Andy.

Konstantin
2 minutes ago, outrunner said:

I believe on the early DCT models you do the initialization with a closed throttle as opposed to the later models where you hold the throttle open.

Andy.

I don't touch throttle during process

outrunner
1 minute ago, Konstantin said:

I don't touch throttle during process

OK, just making sure you knew that. Not sure what the problem might be perhaps a fault with the manual/auto switch? I am sure someone here will have an idea what is wrong.

Andy.

kayz1

How many miles/kilometres on the clock? you are getting the engine good and hot before the initialization? 

Jamesc

Some fault finding in this thread

:welcome:, vitannye

Edited by Jamesco
Konstantin
5 hours ago, kayz1 said:

How many miles/kilometres on the clock? you are getting the engine good and hot before the initialization? 

I bought my bike used month ago. 16500 on odometer, but I think its wrong information, I think it's have atleast 60000 km. I think its have changed dashboard.

Yes I have good hot before initialisation, I see big and small "L" before initialisation.

davebike

OK

Does it change up at all or is it staying in 1 ??

Is it ABS I think all dct are if so dose ABS set if not front ABS sensor or ring I see several ECU see no front wheel speed and will not change up

Causes of not changing up are Servo and gear box shift pin mostly

If it changing up but reving freely it could be the clutches  Riding schools had clutch issues Honda do Not recommend NC for training bikes !  Any history on yours ?

Konstantin
9 minutes ago, davebike said:

OK

Does it change up at all or is it staying in 1 ??

Is it ABS I think all dct are if so dose ABS set if not front ABS sensor or ring I see several ECU see no front wheel speed and will not change up

Causes of not changing up are Servo and gear box shift pin mostly

If it changing up but reving freely it could be the clutches  Riding schools had clutch issues Honda do Not recommend NC for training bikes !  Any history on yours ?

Finally it's changes to 2nd gear, but its happening not as usual not as normal. Its happening on 45-50 km/h and on very high rpm.

Yes it has ABS.

I checked memory of errors, it hasn't any errors on ABS block.

I haven't history of this bike. Only one I know it's from Nederland's

MikeBike

I have a feeling that there was someone on here not so long ago with similar change / DCT reset issues, but can't remember exactly who or what the outcome was. But here is a list of threads that may help thanks tp google..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Anc700.co.uk+dct+reset+change+gear+display+flashing

Konstantin
6 hours ago, MikeBike said:

I have a feeling that there was someone on here not so long ago with similar change / DCT reset issues, but can't remember exactly who or what the outcome was. But here is a list of threads that may help thanks tp google..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Anc700.co.uk+dct+reset+change+gear+display+flashing

Thank you very much for your help. I will try to find decision

Konstantin
On 15.04.2021 at 13:04, MikeBike said:

Now I have new trouble. (I didn't complete DCT learning yet).

While driving, the "-" indicator came on.  

I stopped and turned off ignition.  

I started the motorcycle again.  DCT shifted from 3rd gear to 2nd.  I turned off the ignition again, now the DCT has shifted from 2nd gear to 1st.  Only after that turn on neutral.

When I tried to go and turned on the first gear, I saw that the indicator "1" is not on all the time, but blinking.  

I restarted the motorcycle again and tried to start driving.  Now the second gear was immediately turned on.  I had to start from the second.  "2" blinked continuously.  

DCT did not switch up or down.  Only the second gear works.

It happened twice today.

I have a feeling that it depends on the bike temperature.  If the bike gets very hot from work and the fan turns on, then this is all that happens. (But I'm not sure)

poldark

This is a complete guess based on no specific knowledge on my part, but are you sure that the bike has correct grade oil (10W30).

No idea what the symptoms would be, but DCT bikes are specifically a different grade to standard bikes (10W40) and some mechanics might not know, or bother.

I'd be amazed if it is this, but you talk about engine temp and fan working, I don't think I've ever had my fan on, so just a thought.

Konstantin

I changed oil few weeks ago. I checked work order list, it says Repsol 10w30.

It is a little bit more than max oil level. But today I corrected it on oil change station. But I still have a problem with my DCT.

11 minutes ago, poldark said:

This is a complete guess based on no specific knowledge on my part, but are you sure that the bike has correct grade oil (10W30).

No idea what the symptoms would be, but DCT bikes are specifically a different grade to standard bikes (10W40) and some mechanics might not know, or bother.

I'd be amazed if it is this, but you talk about engine temp and fan working, I don't think I've ever had my fan on, so just a thought.

I changed oil few weeks ago. I checked work order list, it says Repsol 10w30.

It is a little bit more than max oil level. But today I corrected it on oil change station. But I still have a problem with my DCT.

MatBin

Can you try another battery?

• Like 1
Konstantin
On 15.04.2021 at 00:46, Konstantin said:

I have Honda NC750XD, 2014.

Today the bike hasn't gone anywhere at all.  I turned on D, the 1st gear are turned on, the engine RPM very high (3-4000 rpm), but bike does not move anywhere at all. Kindly speaking, it moves at a speed of 5-7 km/h.
I haven't any ideas what should I do now.

Jamesc

Above I linked a thread with some fault finding, especially this post by @embee

In addition to those comments by @embee, oil & DCT filter change was mentioned by @stevethackery; what you describe @konstantin sounds a bit more than only needing oil change, but at least it would discount one possibility if you knew the correct oil & fresh filter were installed.

Other than that maybe try Honda Minsk for fault finding assistance...good luck with it

//Edit just read above you put 10W30 in, DCT filter also changed?

Edited by Jamesco
Konstantin
1 hour ago, Jamesco said:

Above I linked a thread with some fault finding, especially this post by @embee

In addition to those comments by @embee, oil & DCT filter change was mentioned by @stevethackery; what you describe @konstantin sounds a bit more than only needing oil change, but at least it would discount one possibility if you knew the correct oil & fresh filter were installed.

Other than that maybe try Honda Minsk for fault finding assistance...good luck with it

//Edit just read above you put 10W30 in, DCT filter also changed?

Yes, I changed 2 filters

• 3 weeks later...
Konstantin

Some news from my side:

1. I gave the bike to an electrician to ensure there are no wiring problems or short circuits.

2. I gave to another electrician to double ensure.

Seems my bike haven't any problems with wiring.

3. I bought PIN Shifter (24315-HA0-000) and asked mechanic to check and change it.

And yes, this PIN SHIFTER was broken on my bike. It was just broken in half!

I believed that this was the problem.  But unfortunately not.  Nothing has changed significantly.

DCT initialisation the process doesn't successful anyway.

I see 61-1 code on diagnostic tool.

Broken pin shifter - https://ibb.co/b5ybQqh

Video from diagnostic tool - https://youtu.be/J2JxWJAPjWw

Edited by Konstantin
  • Thanks 1
davebike

OK  I am using  a later Manuel it is  Honda for 2018  but

Code 61-1  is no1 clutch oil pressure malfunction

possible faults

no 1  clutch EOP sensor faulty

Faulty clutch oil circuit

Faulty PCM

I really check the clutch oil filter the smaller one you changed  and engine oil level 

My only other suspicion is the o rings on the shaft the clutches ride on they would have been removed to replace the shifter pin and are easily broken I know as I have done lots of shifter pins and yes I had to replace o rings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Konstantin
5 hours ago, davebike said:

OK  I am using  a later Manuel it is  Honda for 2018  but

Code 61-1  is no1 clutch oil pressure malfunction

possible faults

no 1  clutch EOP sensor faulty

Faulty clutch oil circuit

Faulty PCM

I really check the clutch oil filter the smaller one you changed  and engine oil level 

My only other suspicion is the o rings on the shaft the clutches ride on they would have been removed to replace the shifter pin and are easily broken I know as I have done lots of shifter pins and yes I had to replace o rings!

I changed oil filter and double checked oil level. Oil is according manual specification.

How you thinking 61-1 code is possible due of poor clutch conditions? I mean poor condition of friction discs?

davebike

No  it is  no 1 clutch OIL pressure issue 

As both clutches have been off to sort the shifter pin  I suspect an issue with replacing them it is major fiddly  hence my suspicion of the o rings

You really have to hope it not the clutch plates  as yet I not seen pattern and Honda sell the whole clutch ass as one piece £££!

I take it back to the workshop that did the shifter pin and get them to recheck what they did  I expect it to be either the o rings or a blocked oil feed between the no1 clutch and the servo valve on the cover

• Thanks 2
Steve Case

Hi Dave, if I may ask a question that may seem obvious but it may not occur to people removing the clutch until after they have done it.

When the clutch plates on the DCT are removed must they be replaced in the same order they were removed?