Upside down front forks

iaink

Steve Case

I'm ok with the gearbox, it just can't be rushed.

I'm really not sure I want a watercooled boxer or even OHC as it would remove the knitting needle sound track while riding something akin to a ground level biplane.

I think if I was only after big smooth and comfy I'd just buy a Versys 1000.

fred_jb
36 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

I'm ok with the gearbox, it just can't be rushed.

I'm really not sure I want a watercooled boxer or even OHC as it would remove the knitting needle sound track while riding something akin to a ground level biplane.

I think if I was only after big smooth and comfy I'd just buy a Versys 1000.

I've also owned a Versys 1000.  Nice bike for solo riding but not a patch on the GS for two-up, and much more top heavy. With the GS, when two-up with luggage you hardly feel any difference in handling compared to unloaded, especially on the later models with auto adjusting damping and preload.  In contrast the Versys was a bit of a pig when heavily loaded with pillion and luggage, even after I fitted a Nitron shock with stronger spring to reduce the excessive rear sag. It just went very light at the front so the steering didn't do a lot at very low speed which made for tense moments at junctions, in hotel car parks, etc. Also when you adjusted damping and preload to get it as good a possible fully loaded it was then almost unrideable solo. I think it needed a longer swingarm because too much of the pillion and luggage weight seemed to be behind the rear axle line.  

Edited by fred_jb
Scootabout
On 15/11/2021 at 20:40, iaink said:

I noticed that the new 2022 CB500X has upside down forks.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage is (if any) of upside down front forks ?

This type of fork seems to be more generally fitted to high end bikes.

One downside I can see is the working part of the fork will be more exposed to all the muck and road debris coming up from the front wheel.

Thanks.

The only time to worry is if your right way up forks have turned upside down. It means you are in a ditch. 

• Haha 5
Steve Case
17 hours ago, fred_jb said:

I've also owned a Versys 1000.  Nice bike for solo riding but not a patch on the GS for two-up, and much more top heavy. With the GS, when two-up with luggage you hardly feel any difference in handling compared to unloaded, especially on the later models with auto adjusting damping and preload.  In contrast the Versys was a bit of a pig when heavily loaded with pillion and luggage, even after I fitted a Nitron shock with stronger spring to reduce the excessive rear sag. It just went very light at the front so the steering didn't do a lot at very low speed which made for tense moments at junctions, in hotel car parks, etc. Also when you adjusted damping and preload to get it as good a possible fully loaded it was then almost unrideable solo. I think it needed a longer swingarm because too much of the pillion and luggage weight seemed to be behind the rear axle line.  

Morning Fred,

I found the BMW suspension (and the Daytona funnily enough) to be nice and durable and plush, but it sounds like the Versys may suffer from the Jap complaint of Underspecceditus. 

A friend of mine who loves Kwakers mentioned they kill rear tyres really quickly then it upsets the handling, think its the same thing?

listener
15 hours ago, Scootabout said:

The only time to worry is if your right way up forks have turned upside down. It means you are in a ditch. 

So are these USD or normal forks?

Or is that a ditch? :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2