2021 NC has a 4000 mile service interval, not 8000!

MikeBike

MikeBike

Whilst the NC has previously only required a visit to the workshop every 8000 miles to keep it's full service history, the 2021 NC shows a 4000 mile service interval in the maintenance schedule.

Crankcase Breather: Clean

Air Cleaner: Replace (at 12,000) Was 16,000 on the pre '20 bikes

Drive Chain Slider: Inspect

Brake Fluid: Inspect

Brake Pads Wear: Inspect

Brake Lock Operation (DCT): Inspect

Clutch System (Manual): Inspect

There is also a space to record these services and who has performed them.

I realise that they are not huge items, but the mere fact that another service needs organising, paying for, recording etc is a disappointment. I believe the air cleaner is more easily accessible on the 21 bikes, but even so it would be much less hassle if this could have been done at an 8000 service as before.

Are all new Honda's like this - won't the air cleaner get just as dirty just as quickly as before or on other bikes.

I'm approaching 3000 so wondering about this.

PoppetM

Really? Poor move, most of us went for it because of the large service intervals. That’s going to knock the commuters out of they are sales books, I think the Tracer is 6,000

• Like 1

That’s interesting. I would have thought that essentially the tweaks on the engine for the 2021 version are relatively minor in terms of maintenance requirements. I see it as a means of Honda allowing dealers to get more cash from servicing, perhaps to offset the low profit margin on these bikes. This contrasts with the Crossrunner I had, a 2019, which had the valve clearance inspection extended despite no changes being made. In that case I feel it was to kick the big service into the long grass, past the normal 3 year PCP deal. 
I imagine that NC owners are more likely to commute and rack up the miles, so it’s a way of making money. Whatever, I simply don’t believe that the new service schedule needs to be so heavy and is not the real reason, unless anyone knows better?

I wonder if the new (2022 model) 500 twin schedule has also been amended? 

• Like 1

Doesn't look like a good move, I guess inspect also means adjust if required? So will owners get charged for something in all likelihood won't actually be 'adjusted', air cleaner at 12k is a bad move imo.

I'm not sure that is correct.  Looking at my owners manual the 4000 mile checks are only relevant to the GS-type XA model in GCC countries - which appear to be the Middle East.  Both manual and DCT versions for European countries have 8000 mile intervals for both as far as I can see.  Happy to be corrected and for someone to confirm what GCC countries are.  

Edited by OldSteve
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
ChrisCB

GCC refers to the Gulf countries, 

Bahrain - or Kingdom of Bahrain

Kuwait

Oman - or Sultanate of Oman

Qatar

Saudi Arabia - or Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA)

UAE - United Arab Emirates

Hotter, dusty countries have shorter intervals for air filters, the other items may be a just something to do while it's in for a filter but the crank breather makes sense.

Edited by Chris750
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
trisaki

Servicing  on nc's  is 8000miles or yearly  whichever  comes first 

• Thanks 1

Ha ha ha. My ragged old 2012 S manual gets serviced when something seems wrong, service intervals are by sound, feel and sight. I’m doing quite a few miles so have a regular maintenance schedule, oil change is at least annual, valves if I think there is an issue, might have a cursory look when she hits 70k miles (currently on about 57k). I keep it clean which has the advantage of spotting little problems before they become big ones. Manufacturer service schedules and the requirement for them to be done in an approved garage are just another reason why I won’t buy new.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

GCC Gulf Cooperation Council as above by @Chris750, rule of thumb I've heard around these parts is multiply the mileage by 3 and that's about right to let you know the condition - so a 60k mile vehicle is really a 180k miler

• Like 1

My manual differentiates between certain areas.

ED, II ED, FO & KO types - Europe and various Asian, Eastern Europeans countries, South Africa and New Zealand.
GS - GCC countries as above.

For the ED etc models its 8,000 miles, 12,000km and for the GS models 4,000m/6000km. INterestingly I cant find on any of my paperwork or service manual where it references the country codes but I’ve no reason to believe its not 8,000.

Edited by Ciaran1602
alhendo1

I can't see Honda taking a backward step like that...looks as if it's region specific...a quick email to Honda UK will have it cleared up👍

fred_jb
30 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

ED, II ED, FO & KO types - Europe and various Asian, Eastern Europeans countries, South Africa and New Zealand.

For the ED etc models its 8,000 miles, 12,000km and for the GS models 4,000m/6000km. INterestingly I cant find on any of my paperwork or service manual where it references the country codes but I’ve no reason to believe its not 8,000.

For their service intervals, manufacturer will usually specify x miles or 12 months - whichever comes first.  As a result, for bikers with low annual mileage, it makes little difference, you still have to get it serviced every year!

1 minute ago, fred_jb said:

For their service intervals, manufacturer will usually specify x miles or 12 months - whichever comes first.  As a result, for bikers with low annual mileage, it makes little difference, you still have to get it serviced every year!

Yes, you are right - it’s mileage/year. Didn’t occur to me in context to mention the year not but correct to do so. :ahappy:

Edited by Ciaran1602
fred_jb

Made me laugh watching the online presentations about the new Tiger Sport 660 where the marketing guy was droning on about its low cost of ownership compared to the competition, due to the 10k service intervals. In reality it's only going to be an advantage for those very few people who are doing high mileages.

• Like 2

On a similar vein (although not many on here will be interested) the service intervals on the 300 Vespa models with the HP engine are reduced. Drive belt replacement is now every service (6k miles) down from 9k. Valve check is 6k too (down from IIRC 12k) and that’s a ‘drop the engine down’ job. Bearing in mind scooters tend to get used daily those more expensive services are going to hurt. 

• Like 1

@Tex valves and drive belts? They should have stuck to the 2 strokes with manual boxes)) I've got no idea what the service interval is on mine...'constant servicing' I think

Andy m
8 hours ago, wjvh said:

Ha ha ha. My ragged old 2012 S manual gets serviced when something seems wrong, service intervals are by sound, feel and sight. I’m doing quite a few miles so have a regular maintenance schedule, oil change is at least annual, valves if I think there is an issue, might have a cursory look when she hits 70k miles (currently on about 57k). I keep it clean which has the advantage of spotting little problems before they become big ones. Manufacturer service schedules and the requirement for them to be done in an approved garage are just another reason why I won’t buy new.

Manufacturers service intervals are an interdepartmental negotiation. Design data and other engineering documents are set against a desire to sell oil and labour and a conflicting desire to sell motorcycles. Not many people walk out of Ducati showrooms when they find what is recommended for demonic valves, but Ducati will certainly think in terms of a five or seven year income stream. 

The best solution is oil analysis. Tailor the service intervals to your use. 

Why not buy new? I will set fire to Moto Guzzi's warranty in 6800 miles time. I view it as almost worthless now because they can always find an excuse not to pay, so I'm losing very little. Knowing all the history of the machine is worth something though. I would take them up on a discount to buy without warranty, but they won't offer this because it undermines the Bavarian Mouse Wheel sales model they love. 

8 hours ago, Jamesco said:

GCC Gulf Cooperation Council as above by @Chris750, rule of thumb I've heard around these parts is multiply the mileage by 3 and that's about right to let you know the condition - so a 60k mile vehicle is really a 180k miler

Arabs have a well founded reputation for their ability to destroy machinery. Instructions are generally ignored. They never seem to really care, just buy another. 

The ultimate design (which would bust it's manufacturer) would be a machine that is both Squaddie proof and survives Middle Eastern customers. Thinking about it, the ultimate product tester has to be a Saudi or Omani squaddie. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, fred_jb said:

Only if you're running scared of a warranty or the even more dreaded 'resale value'. Several of my bikes get serviced based on miles or when I get round to it. Annual services for low mileage bikes are just another guilt trip to bleed money out of risk averse middle aged bikers, go on people, live dangerously, stretch it to 13 months 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
fj_stuart
5 hours ago, fred_jb said:

For their service intervals, manufacturer will usually specify x miles or 12 months - whichever comes first.  

I assume annual servicing is a scam. I can't think of any service item that needs doing by time rather than miles. All academic to me, it's nearly three decades since I paid a dealer to service a bike.

• Like 1
MikeBike
13 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Thanks Ciaran, I'll have to have another look at my manual.

12 hours ago, Andy m said:

The ultimate design (which would bust it's manufacturer) would be a machine that is both Squaddie proof and survives Middle Eastern customers. Thinking about it, the ultimate product tester has to be a Saudi or Omani squaddie. 

Andy

A colleague worked in Yemen & said they got through an unbelievable amount of Land Cruisers 😆

• Haha 2

I only get the thing serviced in accordance with manufacturer spec as it’s a contractual requirement of the PCP agreement (not uncommon). Honda don’t go so far as to say it has to be main dealer serviced but that is fairly commonplace now. Public justification is it helps to maintain the vehicles value and maximise chances of exceeding the GFV, reality is it engineers in another few hundred quid of profit for the dealer over three years which in turn goes toward their fees or whatever that allow them to maintain their franchise. 

Once it’s old enough I’d do mileage only. Frankly the poor old Yamaha I had was lucky if it saw any maintenance at all between services and I was always a couple of thousand late!

11 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

I assume annual servicing is a scam. I can't think of any service item that needs doing by time rather than miles. All academic to me, it's nearly three decades since I paid a dealer to service a bike.

To be fair the low mileage annual service usually involves less work than a full service eg at 8,000 miles. That said I still prefer to do my own and like @AndyM the dealer won’t see mine again after the first one, due to be done next week. I’ll just have to put up with the orange spanner…. The Honda has seen its last dealer service too.

12 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

The only item I would change due to age rather than mileage is the oil filter, had a bad experience with on that broke up, it might have been a pattern part though in a genuine looking fake box. Dealers, even big ones, were selling pattern parts as genuine some years ago. Cheaper to replace a filter than an engine rebuild.

riders in the storm

My NC750X never saw a dealer service from new, not even the 600 mile.  Armed with the service schedule you can do it yourself. I always use genuine parts and whilst the warranty may or may not be invalidated by me doing it myself, I take that chance. The supplying dealer eventually bought it back off me for a great price and never even asked about service history.

My scooter is home serviced from new and is now just out of warranty anyway. I know it's been done properly with quality parts and I've saved the best part of £600  ( and of course saved taking several days off work to take it back to the dealers...:D ).

I'm doing the 600 mile service on my Vstrom during the christmas holiday....

Sure, I will get caught out one day, but over a lifetime I've saved thousands & thousands of pounds home servicing........

• Like 1