Centre stand and Grease?

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi All

I noticed my centre stand wasn't snapping up quite as quickly as I like do I stripped it to clean and grease. Now! Most the grease I'd put on before had gone, I'd used just ordinary axle/bearing grease so this time I used copper grease. Now I know copper grease isn't  lubricant but the stand only works through 90° and its not like it's  spinning all the time. Am I missing something? Is it likely to cause any problems? 

Thanks

No copper grease will work  I use the black chassis / cv grease but I don't think it matters just use it unlike some dealers !

• Thanks 2

It's got groove, it's got a meaning
Grease is the time, is the place, is the motion
Now Grease is the way we are feeling

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sigh 1
fj_stuart

Greasing the centre stand pivot it a common job for me on my CBF250 winter bike. It's a pity no one has ever invented something like a screw-in valve that grease could be pumped through.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

each time ive greased mine, i think I should tap in a grease nipple - when i last looked i would need to drill a hole and weld on a small nut for the grease nipple the go into as the wall of the stand did not look thick enough - at that point i gave up as didn't have welder 

Steve Case

Need to grease mine I also use CV grease cos it doesn't wash out.

Steve Case

Right so heres the question, the stand pivot should slide out once the retaining screw is removed.

However mine has enough crap built up and probably not enough grease so that it will not slide easily.

The exhaust sits squarely in front of the point you would drift it from and since i don't want to just beat the crap out of it at acute angles, would removing the exhaust center mount give me enough clearance or does the exhaust header need to come off?

Grumpy old man

Can you get a pair of Stilsons on the retaining screw end and turn the bar to loosen it with the help of WD40?

Steve Case

Possibly, i'll get a few ideas then possibly try them tomorrow.

Blind bearing puller  into hole in shaft ad slide hammer and lots penertrating oil not WD40  and it will come !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Steve Case

Oh bugger, and I have one in the garage, never even occured to me...DOH!

Thanks Dave

• Sigh 1
Grumpy old man
2 hours ago, davebike said:

Blind bearing puller  into hole in shaft ad slide hammer and lots penertrating oil not WD40  and it will come !

Why not WD40?🤔

Edited by Grumpy old man

Why not WD40?🤔

WD40 water desplacement 1940   it is avery light luberacent and water desplacer not a penertrating oil Yes they say it dose but as apenertating oil itis crap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Honda Bob

As a Water Dispersant I use WD40.

If I need a Penetrant Releasing Fluid I always us Plus Gas.

Spray Plus Gas on the fixing, go for a brew, come back and undo the fixing.

Plus Gas will even liquify solidified and congealed Copper Grease.

I fitted my own Centre Stand to my 2021 NC750XA-M after removing two bolts and the complete silencer assembly. I presume that the earlier versions are the same considering how many aftermarket Silencers are available. At the end of the day you cant beat a bit of elbow room when doing the job.

• 1 month later...
Steve Case

Right finally got it off, tried the blind bearing puller but it bent it.

However the slide hammer is m8 threaded so got some m8 threaded bar and took a wing nut, cut off the wings and took down the diameter so it pulls thru the swing arm tube.

Pass the threaded bar thru the swing arm pivot and put the nut wedgie side in on the exhaust side of the bar and slide hammer on the side stand side and off she pops.

Screaming Skull

@Steve Casethat sounds like a well thought and great technique to what seems to be a fairly common problem for the NC centre stand, I am sure others will find it very useful when they have to tackle the problem.

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, Screaming Skull said:

@Steve Casethat sounds like a well thought and great technique to what seems to be a fairly common problem for the NC centre stand, I am sure others will find it very useful when they have to tackle the problem.

The secret is take it out and grease regularly it only takes 30 minutes so if you haven't done it recently,  do it now!:oldfart:

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 1
MatBin
17 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

The secret is take it out and grease regularly it only takes 30 minutes so if you haven't done it recently,  do it now!:oldfart:

I think you mean frequently rather than regularly, once every 10 years is regular, I will go get me coat now. :)

• Sigh 1
Grumpy old man
4 minutes ago, MatBin said:

I think you mean frequently rather than regularly, once every 10 years is regular, I will go get me coat now. :)

Have you met Mrs Grumpy, you'd get on well.

• Haha 3
Viator

I've not had my NCX long but on all previous bikes each time I spray chain lube on the chain I give the side and centre stand pivots a squirt as well, seems to penetrate and keep things free and moving nicely 👍

• Like 1
DCTPaul

Bike n Scoot... I use White Spray Grease from Toolstation on all manor of pivot bits... Side and center stands, brake pivots, shock mountings, swing arm pivot and dog bones etc.

• Like 1
Steve Case

I was thinking every year before the winter.

The problem appears to be the lack of grease applied at install, the other problem is getting the pivot out without removing the exhaust.

I looked at putting in a grease nipple but the pivot tube wall is only about 1mm, I was thinking it would be possible to get a nut welded on which a grease nipple could be fitted.

I'll look at it just before winter when i get the stand off for regreasing.

Grumpy old man
17 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

The problem appears to be the lack of grease applied at install, the other problem is getting the pivot out without removing the exhaust.

If you remove the pivot " FREQUENTLY "

then it's and easy job  the pivot bar removes from the left side of the bike you have no need to remove the exhaust. 

Steve Case

Thanks, but why would I want to remove the side stand frequently. My goal would be to remove it as little as possible.