Centre stand and Grease?

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man
2 hours ago, Steve Case said:

Thanks, but why would I want to remove the side stand frequently. My goal would be to remove it as little as possible.

???

I was referring to the centre stand.

• Sigh 1
Steve Case

Sorry yes center stand

Grumpy old man
On 22/04/2022 at 09:30, Steve Case said:

Sorry yes center stand

I would like to remove  it as little as possible but if you leave it too long then it becomes a bugger to  get off and the stand also sticks so won't return properly. Removing it frequently stops all the issues and takes 15 minutes but if you prefer yo struggle every 18 months then go for it.

• Like 2
Steve Case

I was thinking before winter and then start of spring.

Should be adequate

• 1 month later...
steelhorseuk
On 25/04/2022 at 16:57, Grumpy old man said:

I would like to remove  it as little as possible but if you leave it too long then it becomes a bugger to  get off and the stand also sticks so won't return properly. Removing it frequently stops all the issues and takes 15 minutes but if you prefer yo struggle every 18 months then go for it.

Hi all,

I am doing this job at the weekend. I have a question though and require your knowledge please.

Can I remove the pivot, grease up and reinstall without having to remove the springs ?

I really do not fancy the job of taking off the springs and getting them back on!  

Rev Ken

I seem to remember some old Brit bikes had a grease nipple fitted to centre stands. I wonder when you have it off drilling and tapping a grease nipple hole would be a simple solution?

Xactly
53 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

I seem to remember some old Brit bikes had a grease nipple fitted to centre stands. I wonder when you have it off drilling and tapping a grease nipple hole would be a simple solution?

Yes they did, and at the swinging arm pivots and steering head bearings (well, I had BSAs that did). I think would be a good idea.

Steve Case

The center stand needs the springs removed while taking off.

The steel of the center stand is too thin to take a grease nipple, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1
Grumpy old man
19 hours ago, Steel Horse UK said:

Hi all,

I am doing this job at the weekend. I have a question though and require your knowledge please.

Can I remove the pivot, grease up and reinstall without having to remove the springs ?

I really do not fancy the job of taking off the springs and getting them back on!  

If you use the tie down strap method to stretch the spring then leave the spring stretched while cleaning and greasing it's really easy, honest I  did it  it must be easy.

If you get to it before the stand starts sticking, then 30 minutes max.

You need a tie down strap, a piece of strongish string and a cheap key ring type karabiner. Wrap the tie down over the adjusting bolts for the chain clip the karabiner to the tie down the thin piece of string in a loop over the hook of the spring then into the karabiner then pull the tie down back and job done.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
steelhorseuk
14 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

If you use the tie down strap method to stretch the spring then leave the spring stretched while cleaning and greasing it's really easy, honest I  did it  it must be easy.

If you get to it before the stand starts sticking, then 30 minutes max.

You need a tie down strap, a piece of strongish string and a cheap key ring type karabiner. Wrap the tie down over the adjusting bolts for the chain clip the karabiner to the tie down the thin piece of string in a loop over the hook of the spring then into the karabiner then pull the tie down back and job done.

Good luck.

I will give it a go! Thank you for the advice...

Edited by Steel Horse UK
  • Like 1
Slowboy

A bit like this, but you can attach the strap to the rear wheel (side furthest from the stand and lock the wheel with the rear brake  or use the rotation of the wheel to pull the spring.

• Thanks 1
Grumpy old man

On a Nc750x. It doesn't have to be a ratchet strap any tie down will do.

• Thanks 2
  • 3 months later...
Perthshire

Getting the X-ADV ready for it's first MOT next week and was worried that the centre stand not moving would be a fail.   I found this thread and followed the instructions.   It took a good hour to hammer out the pivot pin which had ceased solid.   It was not easy to access but I managed to get at it without taking off the exhaust.  Cleaned up and really I should have painted it but was fed up by then and wanted to finish.  Greased it up with waterproof AC-50 grease and reassembled.  Snaps back nicely now.  Thanks again to the forum another little job done.  Lesson learned do it next time before it stops moving.

• Like 1
On 08/06/2022 at 19:18, Steve Case said:

.. the steel of the center stand is too thin to take a grease nipple, unfortunately.

Weld a nut to it or use epoxy putty to build up a depth that can be tapped? Only needs to be strong enough to hold the nipple (o'er missus). 

Andy 

Steve Case

Yup, as they say great minds think alike. I was thinking put a slight flat on the tube, drill it and epoxy a nut in place to take a nipple.

I would say don't weld as the tube is too thin and will distort, but brazing would work.

• Thanks 1