Nc700s sump plug

splke

splke

I ride all year round and change the oil and filter every 12 months 

Just come to get the nc sump plug off and I cannot budge it starting to round off now too :bug:am careful not to over tighten amd keep the bike clean and apply  ac50 liberally. I guess the salt has corroded it. 

Any ideas on how to loosen it off please. Its in a pig of a place to get any heavy tools in without stripping exhaust off anyway. All help/advice greatly appreciated good or bad :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splke

• Slowboy

• Steve Case

• Xactly

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorted at last! The special sockets worked a treat  Thanks for all the help it is appreciated     

Sorted at last! The special sockets worked a treat  Thanks for all the help it is appreciated     

Typical response from a keyboard mechanic. Always got an opinion, which has been gleaned from the internet, but when they are asked to put it into action always remember a forgotten dental appointment

Slowboy

A bit of heat often helps and/ or a penetrating oil like plus gas or Halfords shock and unlock. No WD40, that’s rubbish by comparison.

A plumbers  torch would be enough, gently applied.

• Like 2
splke

Always a bit worried around sump with the heat aspect 

Slowboy
Just now, splke said:

Always a bit worried around sump with the heat aspect 

I get that, the plus gas or shock and unlock would probably work, you might need to apply and leave it for a bit a few times.

• Like 1
splke

I'll go and soak it on penetration fluid now and see if I can get some purchase on it tomorrow. Seems to be made is a swiss cheese like substance... I thought that was just suzukis

• Like 1
Honda Bob

If a cold sump plug was replaced last time into a warm or hot engine, the plug can appear tight if you try and remove a cold plug from a cold sump at a later date. It is all to do with different expansion rates between the aluminium sump and the steel plug. Try running the engine until the sump is warm to hot to the touch and try again.

• Like 3
Johnnie Mototrans

Screwfix do a spray can called.

Arctic crack it shock release spray. £8.86

It works by cooling  stuff.

So if you warm the engine then spray the drain plug with this stuff there is bound to be a bit of heat differential movement.

I love it.

Good luck.

• Like 3
fj_stuart

I doubt the value of penetrating fluid. The sump plug keeps the oil in so it will keep the fluid out. I'd try an impact driver (I guess you might have to get the bike well on its side for this)

• Like 1
davebike

Decent notel cheepo 6 point socket

If thet fails the are dammaged nut gripping sockets  far from cheap but really work but if a good 6 point won't move it I would generly recomend a good mechanic :-))

Whatever new sump bolt and new sealing washer

• Like 1
Slowboy
9 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

I doubt the value of penetrating fluid. The sump plug keeps the oil in so it will keep the fluid out. I'd try an impact driver (I guess you might have to get the bike well on its side for this)

Fair point, but all I’d say is I’ve used plus gas for years in the ship repair business and it is quite remarkable what it can free up. I’d full agree with @davebike, a good set of 6 point sockets are worth their weight, they don’t round of nuts or bolt heads, cheese or otherwise😁

Edited by slowboy
splke
22 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Fair point, but all I’d say is I’ve used plus gas for years in the ship repair business and it is quite remarkable what it can free up. I’d full agree with @davebike, a good set of 6 point sockets are worth their weight, they don’t round of nuts or bolt heads, cheese or otherwise😁

i was hoping to not have to remove the exhaust so am limited to what i can get on the plug.

My sockets are pretty decent (snap on 6 point) sump was warm when i tried taking plug out , i will try the heat gun and maybe the freeze spray later 

gonna try get some plus gas too sounds like worth having in my cabinet thanks

New plug and washer on way from fowlers :)

• Like 1
Slowboy
1 minute ago, splke said:

i was hoping to not have to remove the exhaust so am limited to what i can get on the plug.

My sockets are pretty decent (snap on 6 point) sump was warm when i tried taking plug out , i will try the heat gun and maybe the freeze spray later 

gonna try get some plus gas too sounds like worth having in my cabinet thanks

New plug and washer on way from fowlers :)

Nice, I do have a few bits of Snap-on amongst my tool kit. Very expensive, but worth it if you earn your living off the tools, in my opinion anyway. Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1
Mr Toad
42 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Nice, I do have a few bits of Snap-on amongst my tool kit. Very expensive, but worth it if you earn your living off the tools, in my opinion anyway. Let us know how you get on.

I've got a few bit's too, one of my friends had a Snap-On franchise and used to give me the occasional sample. :)  

splke

my younger days i worked in car alarm mobile phone fitting firm 

we had a snap on van coming round every month all the boys were buying stuff , i am week so bought a few bits , then out on the road my tools were nicked from my van 

so snap on helped me spend the insurance :)

Got some fairy (1/4) socket sets and thankfully some 3/8 Drive sets 

screw driver set and some spanners all over 30 yr old look like new 

fab stuff 

i have to say my pal owns a landy garage and he is very impressed with the halfords sockets

• Like 1
steelhorseuk

Sorry if anyone has already said this. Do not have time to read through ...........

Did you warm the engine nicely (heat up the oil) before trying to remove. Getting the sump nice and warm from running the engine will normally do it.

Might be worth having a replacement plug ready also. 

sandalfarm

I would  buy an electric sucker that you poke down the ill filler rather  than risk damaging the bike , doesn't  most of the oil fall out when the  filter is removed?

splke

Well I tried everything tonite  heat torch, Freeze spray, penetration fluid burnt my hand in exhaust in the process! Resorted to bfh and chisel but the ***** will not budge one mm :angry:

Ordered a bolt extraction socket set and if that don't work its off with the sump and see if I can get it out off the bike. So chuffing frustrating wish I'd taken it to garage for a service now. Might part ex it I'm that peed off 

• Sad 1
MikeBike
6 hours ago, sandalfarm said:

I would  buy an electric sucker that you poke down the ill filler rather  than risk damaging the bike , doesn't  most of the oil fall out when the  filter is removed?

Yes, I've got a manual pump that sucks out the oil that I bought for my sailing yacht as access was a pain for drip trays etc but now use for my car. Looks the same as this one. Stick the pipe down the dipstick tube, pump and wait until the oil is in the container. No mess, drip trays etc. I'm not sure that it gets as much out as draining but so much more practical/possible.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/oil-fluid-extractor-6ltr/21663

Edited by MikeBike
Andy m

Vacuum pumps don't really work. Oil has a big problem with pipe losses , not great when you want the dregs out that include heavy fractions, grease, bits of metal and so on. You'll get the some of the remaining clean oil out, but not the stuff you are trying for. You'd need to block the breather then pressurise the engine case to make it work well. Begs the usual question of course, will anybody care if the engine only lasts 50000 miles as a result. 

The oil filter is usually set above a sludge trap, the idea being to save the oil pump and filter from gloopy stuff that would stop them doing their job of removing particles. The drain clears this trap. 

A stripped sump thread is by no means the end of the world. Top hat type repairs work well. 

@Spike, you are turning it anti-clockwise aren't you? 😁😈😁😁

An impact gun is the best bet IMHO. You usually need the bike raised or leant over to get in. Electric guns work well, no need for air on a sump plug. 

Andy 

• Like 1
splke

Yes anti clockwise :w00t: I've killed the head so hopefully the repair socket will work if not ill take the sump off and get better access then sell it the pos 

• Like 1
Johnnie Mototrans
4 hours ago, splke said:

Well I tried everything tonite  heat torch, Freeze spray, penetration fluid burnt my hand in exhaust in the process! Resorted to bfh and chisel but the ***** will not budge one mm :angry:

Ordered a bolt extraction socket set and if that don't work its off with the sump and see if I can get it out off the bike. So chuffing frustrating wish I'd taken it to garage for a service now. Might part ex it I'm that peed off 

Sorry to hear that Spike

I was near to tears getting the shock top bolt undone. But I got there.

I hope your new socket set does the trick.

• Thanks 1
Steve Case

An impact gun is the best bet IMHO. You usually need the bike raised or leant over to get in. Electric guns work well, no need for air on a sump plug. 

x2

and nut extractors

Honda Bob
On 09/03/2022 at 18:55, Andy m said:

Vacuum pumps don't really work. Oil has a big problem with pipe losses , not great when you want the dregs out that include heavy fractions, grease, bits of metal and so on. You'll get the some of the remaining clean oil out, but not the stuff you are trying for. You'd need to block the breather then pressurise the engine case to make it work well. Begs the usual question of course, will anybody care if the engine only lasts 50000 miles as a result. 

The oil filter is usually set above a sludge trap, the idea being to save the oil pump and filter from gloopy stuff that would stop them doing their job of removing particles. The drain clears this trap. 

A stripped sump thread is by no means the end of the world. Top hat type repairs work well. 

An impact gun is the best bet IMHO. You usually need the bike raised or leant over to get in. Electric guns work well, no need for air on a sump plug. 

Andy 

You will find that most new cars, Land Rovers included, do not even have a sump plug fitted anymore and rely on the use of a pump to empty the sump. This info is from my eldest son who is a Technician at a Land Rover Main Dealers. Draining through a plug in the sump is old hat in the car world.

Slowboy
On 09/03/2022 at 19:01, splke said:

Yes anti clockwise :w00t: I've killed the head so hopefully the repair socket will work if not ill take the sump off and get better access then sell it the pos 

Sometimes you’ve just got to get it off your chest…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Honda Bob
On 09/03/2022 at 18:55, Andy m said:

Andy 

Considering that Spike lives in Leeds, the same city as you, I am surprised that you have not volunteered to pop round and give assistance. I thought that was the purpose of the Forum. To help each other in our time of need.