Nc700s sump plug

splke

Andy m
28 minutes ago, Honda Bob said:

Considering that Spike lives in Leeds, the same city as you, I am surprised that you have not volunteered to pop round and give assistance. I thought that was the purpose of the Forum. To help each other in our time of need.

If I was in Leeds at the moment rather than working 250 miles away I might. 

As you are closer I'm sure you'll volunteer, or maybe you also just don't feel the need to update the forum with every movement? 

Andy 

• Haha 4
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splke

• Slowboy

• Steve Case

• Xactly

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorted at last! The special sockets worked a treat  Thanks for all the help it is appreciated     

Sorted at last! The special sockets worked a treat  Thanks for all the help it is appreciated     

Typical response from a keyboard mechanic. Always got an opinion, which has been gleaned from the internet, but when they are asked to put it into action always remember a forgotten dental appointment

splke

out today to try these special extraction sockets i donr hold out much hope as they are labelled "hi spec" :niceone:

• Like 1
DCTPaul

6 Wall Impact Socket, Warm Engine and Breaker Bar with Steady Pressure...

To tighten fit, and to protect the finish of fasteners, and edges use a plastic bag as packing - seen this done on Youtube on Thai and Indo Maitenance vids... If proper rounded up, it will need to come out... You can get Cam Sockets that tighten up and should grip... or if ya can get on it, File 2 flats for a nice big adjustable... Don't think the 'ol Chissel n Hammer would be a good idea due to sump casting and proximity!

When putting back together i lightly 'Coppa Slip' (or oil) all mating surfaces.

I'm gonna order a spare now... so i'm ready just in case...

Bolt, Drain Plug, 12x15... (M12x1,5)

# 90131896650 £5...

Edited by DCTPaul
Honda Bob
5 hours ago, Andy m said:

If I was in Leeds at the moment rather than working 250 miles away I might. 

As you are closer I'm sure you'll volunteer, or maybe you also just don't feel the need to update the forum with every movement? 

Andy 

Typical response from a keyboard mechanic. Always got an opinion, which has been gleaned from the internet, but when they are asked to put it into action always remember a forgotten dental appointment and pass the buck.

• Grrr 1
  • Sigh 3
  • Confused 1
Slowboy
44 minutes ago, Honda Bob said:

Typical response from a keyboard mechanic. Always got an opinion, which has been gleaned from the internet, but when they are asked to put it into action always remember a forgotten dental appointment and pass the buck.

Bob, we do try not to be rude on here, and I’m afraid you have done just that. Please don’t, especially when you don’t know a fellow contributors qualifications and background. For your info, Andy is one of the most able engineering contributors on here. Please think before before you yourself go down the keyboard warrior route.

Politely

Brian

• Like 3
sandalfarm
47 minutes ago, Honda Bob said:

That's not fair , and I were Andy I would be very upset at your  answer

• Like 1
splke
1 hour ago, Honda Bob said:

You are Bang out of order pal imo

• Like 2
outrunner
2 hours ago, Honda Bob said:

So unnecessary.

Andy.

• Like 2
Xactly

Well, I really don’t think that was justified. Andy (who I’ve never met) has helped me a lot with various aspects of my Moto Guzzi. It’s pretty obvious that he’s handy with the spanners too.

• Like 2
splke

Sorted at last! The special sockets worked a treat 

Thanks for all the help it is appreciated 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
splke

spacer.png

• Like 7
Johnnie Mototrans
3 minutes ago, splke said:

spacer.png

I was too afraid to ask...

Glad you got the result.

• Like 1
Trev
8 minutes ago, splke said:

spacer.png

Nice one, well done and thanks for posting, I've been tempted by a set but always (just) managed to get by without them. Think I'll put them on my next Christmas list alongside the new pants, socks and aftershave 

• Haha 1
Johnnie Mototrans
46 minutes ago, Trev said:

Nice one, well done and thanks for posting, I've been tempted by a set but always (just) managed to get by without them. Think I'll put them on my next Christmas list alongside the new pants, socks and aftershave 

It's good to see you still have some goals in life.

• Haha 2
listener
57 minutes ago, splke said:

Looks like they'd double as moulds for petit fours! :angel:

• Haha 3
fj_stuart

Well done! that must be a weight off your mind. I've never used extractor sockets but they seem like a good idea. Any indication why the bolt had seized? Corrosion can't be an issue - the threads would have oil on them. Had someone overdone the tightening or done something silly like using strong threadlock?

splke
9 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

Well done! that must be a weight off your mind. I've never used extractor sockets but they seem like a good idea. Any indication why the bolt had seized? Corrosion can't be an issue - the threads would have oil on them. Had someone overdone the tightening or done something silly like using strong threadlock?

Def over tightened also corrosion I think casing to head 

Trev
41 minutes ago, Johnnie Mototrans said:

It's good to see you still have some goals in life.

Oh yeah, never stop striving :D

• Haha 1

Well done for sorting it. I did my oil and filters again today, fortunately no problems.

However, it got me thinking again about the ridiculous torque figures Honda state for oil filters and sump plugs. My sump plug gets tightened and released with a 1/4 drive socket and filter hand tightened by feel. Seems to work fine. I do use a filter cup to undo. 

Only time I had a problem was undoing an oil filter which dealer had installed. Stupid tight, but eventually did it.

It makes me wonder about other torque figures Honda specify. I like to use a torque wrench particularly on axle nuts, brake bolts etc, but now wonder if they are always correct.

I use a fairly decent wrench, and although it doesn’t get recalibrated, it only gets light use, and it well looked after.

Any comments please?

• Like 1
Xactly
13 hours ago, RC166 said:

Well done for sorting it. I did my oil and filters again today, fortunately no problems.

However, it got me thinking again about the ridiculous torque figures Honda state for oil filters and sump plugs. My sump plug gets tightened and released with a 1/4 drive socket and filter hand tightened by feel. Seems to work fine. I do use a filter cup to undo. 

Only time I had a problem was undoing an oil filter which dealer had installed. Stupid tight, but eventually did it.

It makes me wonder about other torque figures Honda specify. I like to use a torque wrench particularly on axle nuts, brake bolts etc, but now wonder if they are always correct.

I use a fairly decent wrench, and although it doesn’t get recalibrated, it only gets light use, and it well looked after.

Any comments please?

I wonder about that myself. The rear axle nut on my NC750X is a case in point. It would be impossible to remove at the roadside with the toolkit spanner. Rather than torque it to the specified level I now use a 27mm spanner I carry in one of the panniers. I don’t know why they don’t use an R clip or split pin with a castellated nut. I’ve never stripped a thread unless already butchered by a PO nor had anything come adrift. I always resist the temptation to tighten the nut a bit more, especially the smaller ones. Things like cylinder head bolts, clutch centre nuts, brake caliper bolts etc I’ll torque down but I use judgement otherwise. I also prefer copper washers to aluminium because they tend not to weld themselves on with the salt. Also they can be reused if annealed. Dowty washers are handy for curing drips.

I doubt that my torque wrenches are spot on anyway. Oil filters I fit hand tight; that has always been sufficient in my (long) experience.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, RC166 said:

Any comments please?

@RC166

100% with you there. I do 99% of any tightening by feel alone. Sometimes I look up the torque values and will aim for that but if I am close-ish and it already feels

tight enough then I don’t go beyond that. I don’t think I’ve ever found that I’ve needed to exceed a stated torque value. The only time I really stick to spec is on cylinder head bolts. 

• Like 1
Steve Case

I try to use a torque wrench as it stops the "just giving a tweak" overtightening.

Torque settings are based on the bolt strength embossed on the head and can be found online, I have printouts of at least 2 on my workshop walls.

• Like 1
Empty_Ten

The only thing I use a torque wrench for is the rear axle nut.   The NC's 105(?)nm is relatively light compared to the MT10's 190nM.  But yes, doubt any included bike tool kit would be sufficient at the road side.

Given my form for overtightening and stripping threads/cracking things, it's probably a good thing I don't do much maintenance :whistle:

Andy m

I can't be bothered to keep a torque wrench calibrated. Without they are just bars with numbers on. 

I did get one for when I had the head off the CL. Actually important torques are usually 2-stage, especially if more than one fastener is involved. 

Andy 

• Like 1
Xactly
1 hour ago, Empty_Ten said:

The only thing I use a torque wrench for is the rear axle nut.   The NC's 105(?)nm is relatively light compared to the MT10's 190nM.  But yes, doubt any included bike tool kit would be sufficient at the road side.

Given my form for overtightening and stripping threads/cracking things, it's probably a good thing I don't do much maintenance :whistle:

I do wonder if the torque for the rear axle nut on the NC has some bearing (sorry) on the relatively short life of the rear wheel bearings. Whilst it isn’t as high as that for your MT10 it still seems very high to me.