Valve check !

gonzo

gonzo

Just had a price for valve check on my X, blades Swindon want £350 ! Think I will be doing it myself ! Used to  do it on my 16 valve Kawasaki ! Only difference on the x is the rad has to come off , but hey I’m a plumber how hard can it be ! Now where’s that feeler gauge ! 

• Like 4
MatBin

Obviously they didn't want to do it, they are aware it's not bucket and shim but tappet followers with arms and locknuts?

Ridiculous price.

There are plenty of videos on YT.

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
fj_stuart

I don't suppose the NC is the worst. A couple of years ago I checked & adjusted the valves on my SV650. It had done 35,000 miles without an adjustment (I bought it from a friend at 15k) Radiator off - 4 valves slightly tight and 4 at the lower end of the range. Oh well might as well shim the lot. Four cams out. Being a V twin it's best to do each set of valves separately so it takes time. It's due to be done again but I'm hoping no further adjustment will be needed.

• Like 3
Empty_Ten

I paid £275 for the 16k service including valve clearance, change of filters, change of coolant, new front brake pads.  I thought that was a bargain :D

Previous valve clearance services on my fireblade and MT10 have all been £500+.  2 were at independents and one was at a main dealer who charged over £800 (even with a 10% discount because I bought the bike from them).

of course, if you’re handy and know what you’re doing - it’s even cheaper.  But, I’m as ham fisted as they come, so I’ll keep funding local business (that’s how I’d rather think of it :D).  

• Like 1
Andy m
19 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Just had a price for valve check on my X, blades Swindon want £350 ! Think I will be doing it myself ! Used to  do it on my 16 valve Kawasaki ! Only difference on the x is the rad has to come off , but hey I’m a plumber how hard can it be ! Now where’s that feeler gauge ! 

Think how I feel, I aren't used to pipes where stuff tries to escape anymore, AND they refill themselves for free. 

13 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Obviously they didn't want to do it, they are aware it's not bucket and shim but tappet followers with arms and locknuts?

Ridiculous price.

There are plenty of videos on YT.

Yep, ****-off price IMHO. Look on the bright side, they may not be doing it deliberately, they might be clueless. Better the don't start by taking the "tank" and electrics tray out. 

8 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

I don't suppose the NC is the worst. A couple of years ago I checked & adjusted the valves on my SV650. It had done 35,000 miles without an adjustment (I bought it from a friend at 15k) Radiator off - 4 valves slightly tight and 4 at the lower end of the range. Oh well might as well shim the lot. Four cams out. Being a V twin it's best to do each set of valves separately so it takes time. It's due to be done again but I'm hoping no further adjustment will be needed.

The NC is semi-civilised. 

I never liked the Bonneville or anything with shims. The CB500 is bad, a 3-4 hour expedition to get the tank, electrics etc. off so you can order a shim and be off the road until the postie turns up. The Bonneville and F650 at least gave access, the Weestrom unspeakable. 

Push rods make life easy, I could do an iron barrel enfield by feel, just spin the push rod. The Guzzi and Oilhead BMW's are close. 

I love the neatness of the CL350. Eccentric rocker holders, so just unscrew two covers, lock-nut and adjust. 

The NC however is a perfect candidate for the best solution and I can't understand why Hondasan failed us. It should have hydraulic tappets like the UCE bullet. 

Definitely go DIY IMHO, the radiator removal is not difficult. 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
jeremyr62

Definitely DIY. The NC is very straightforward. That Aussie guy does a decent Youtube vid of the procedure. 

• Like 1
Slowboy

For me the only hard part of the NC was getting the left hand side cover with the hex out without destroying it. Mine just rounded the hex off as it was so tight and it’s made of aluminium cheese. (And yes I have good quality Allen sockets.) definitely a candidate for a bit of plus-gas before starting. They’re not cheap for the replacement either…..

It was more than a bit bit nerve wracking getting it moving with very careful application of the punch and mallet, although it fit move eventually. The rad is easy off and the adjustment is very straightforward.

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

Just a tip  after refitting the radiator check that the fan spins without hitting the radiator. ( see my thread in the lounge 'Ooops, green flag') but I do remember hitting a pheasant quite hard so that could have caused the damage. 

• Thanks 3
MatBin
47 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

Just a tip  after refitting the radiator check that the fan spins without hitting the radiator. ( see my thread in the lounge 'Ooops, green flag') but I do remember hitting a pheasant quite hard so that could have caused the damage. 

Pheasants are such stupid birds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
embattle
34 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Pheasants are such stupid birds.

Without question, there are plenty of them around certain parts in Devon. On the A361 I saw two of them having a fight on the road as a truck came down the hill, I would like to think they moved but being as stupid as they are I reckon it was 50/50 chance.

I'm never doing a Valve check on my X-ADV, I just can't be arsed since I reckon I would make a monumental cluster**** of it even just pulling of the bikes dress.

Edited by embattle
gonzo

Apparently the cocks are fighting for mating rights ! That’s why you see them on the roads patrolling their stretch ! 

• Haha 1
gonzo

Think I will contact Honda UK and inform them of what some Honda dealers are charging! I also think so many young  people aren't mechanically minded these days , that they can charge these outrageous prices ! Did here of a young man took his motorcycle to a dealership to have the chain oiled ! Apparently it cost him £18 + vat ! 🥱

• Haha 1
Slowboy
12 hours ago, embattle said:

Without question, there are plenty of them around certain parts in Devon. On the A361 I saw two of them having a fight on the road as a truck came down the hill, I would like to think they moved but being as stupid as they are I reckon it was 50/50 chance.

I'm never doing a Valve check on my X-ADV, I just can't be arsed since I reckon I would make a monumental cluster**** of it even just pulling of the bikes dress.

So long as they stay on the A361, and mither the traffic there, it’ll keep them off my favourite routes just next door. 😁

• Like 2
Haggard Rider

Had a kamikaze pheasant launch itself out of the verge into my face last year - severely rattled my teeth I can ell you, even managed to snap the visor in two!!

• Sad 3
Xactly

The worst part of the process Has found was disconnecting the radiator fan plug. In the end I found it quicker just to unbolt the fan. Apart from looking for nuts and washers etc that disappear I have more trouble with undoing modern electrical connections than anything else. 
I found it an easy job. I don’t like oh shim jobs these days. I’ve done cam out and she m over bucket ones but these days I don’t want to know. For one thing establishing what shims are needed and then buying them, if you can’t shuffle them, is a PITA. 
I used the Aussie guy’s video too.

Andy m
13 hours ago, gonzo said:

Think I will contact Honda UK and inform them of what some Honda dealers are charging! I also think so many young  people aren't mechanically minded these days , that they can charge these outrageous prices ! Did here of a young man took his motorcycle to a dealership to have the chain oiled ! Apparently it cost him £18 + vat ! 🥱

I doubt Honda UK will care. The dealer network making money on service means they have more room on trade-in and PCP deals which will shift more product. Honda UK will suggest you take out a service plan, "only" £34.99 a month for 60 months etc. It's the razor blade business model with the Apple rental system on top. 

The fact Millennials need mummy to wipe their botties, tell them to ignore the nasty man and carry on with their rap-influencer career development is indeed why many service costs are rising, but I'm not sure they even set foot in bike dealers? Outrageous prices? There is no such thing, if you don't like it, don't buy it and we'll see if someone else does. I once charged £1002.02 plus VAT to change a fuse (the £2.02 was the fuse) . The bus company were told to do this themselves and call back if it didn't work , they behaved like toddlers and insisted I went, they were charged my rate to drive 200 miles there and back. Simple supply and demand.

That £18 charge includes the time to make sense of such a silly request and check the bike for damage in case it was a complaint scam . I bet the lad was at the dealers for half an hour, so £35 an hour plus the rag and lube. A bargain. 

Also don't forget the real current inflation figure is well into double digits, so £18 now is more like £16 a year ago. 

11 minutes ago, Haggard Rider said:

Had a kamikaze pheasant launch itself out of the verge into my face last year - severely rattled my teeth I can ell you, even managed to snap the visor in two!!

I always wanted the coyote to catch the ******* . Beep-****** Beep my ****. 

Andy 

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2
Xactly
48 minutes ago, Haggard Rider said:

A friend of mine was killed by a collision with a couple of pheasants. He couldn’t avoid them, hit them, lost control and rode straight into the back of a breakdown recovery truck. He was killed instantly….

• Sad 6
davebike

If you think Honda dealer are expensive try BMW  most local ones are charging £140 + vat for 1 hour sir !

• Grrr 1
ChrisCB
18 hours ago, gonzo said:

I'm interested to know what you expected the cost to be.

• Like 2
Slowboy
Just now, Chris750 said:

I'm interested to know what you expected the cost to be.

With you there Chris. We often don’t make the connection between the time it takes, the wages to be paid leave alone the remaining overheads of the business to be covered…

Having looked at renting an industrial unit down here just to have more room than my garage for my hobby (bikes) it was going to cost between £5 and £7k a year for a very basic unit on a farm, way more on an industrial estate. I can only imagine the estate overhead for a main dealer with a big showroom.

• Like 1
ChrisCB

I just got a quote for valve clearances check on NC750X  DCT 17 model year from Norton way Honda Letchworth.

£167.86.

2.5 hours labour @£55.95 ph.

• Like 5
Trev
12 minutes ago, Chris750 said:

I just got a quote for valve clearances check on NC750X  DCT 17 model year from Norton way Honda Letchworth.

£167.86.

2.5 hours labour @£55.95 ph.

That seems very reasonable, no way I would faff about with the placcy panels and clips, rad and other bits at this price. Provided I was 100% sure they would actually do the check (and I think the vast majority do) then I wouldn't hesitate to go for this. My AT is 'overdue', on time not miles, a valve service so I will get a quote from my Honda dealer and my independent guy and see what they come up with

• Like 1
ChrisCB
6 minutes ago, Trev said:

That seems very reasonable, no way I would faff about with the placcy panels and clips, rad and other bits at this price. Provided I was 100% sure they would actually do the check (and I think the vast majority do) then I wouldn't hesitate to go for this. My AT is 'overdue', on time not miles, a valve service so I will get a quote from my Honda dealer and my independent guy and see what they come up with

I would encourage people to actually ask to talk to the Tech/Mechanic who is going to work on it and ask for the clearances to be recorded on the the job sheet or separately, some think workshops are unapproachable but there are humans in there.

• Like 2
Slowboy
1 minute ago, Chris750 said:

I would encourage people to actually ask to talk to the Tech/Mechanic who is going to work on it and ask for the clearances to be recorded on the the job sheet or separately, some think workshops are unapproachable but there are humans in there.

And I would add the vast majority of them care they do a decent job. 👍

• Like 3
Rocker66

We usually try to have lunch at Kent M/Cs at the same time as the lads from the workshop so we have got to know them which means that when our bikes are booked in we can speak to them about it.

• Like 5