Is my front bearing shot

hypnotic

hypnotic

I was riding with a tight chain. After adjusting the slack I went for another ride and didn't hear anything from the front sprocket. However, now I can hear some sort of clicking from the front sprocket when spinning the wheel forward.

Could someone check out the sound I am hearing and if it's shot how much this would cost to repair approximately?

Edited by hypnotic
fj_stuart

I'm going to say you're in luck - I don't think it's the bearing. I'd say this was chain noise. The chain looks pretty dry so apply some lube and see if that helps. I've had a gearbox bearing fail and the first thing I knew about it was a pool of oil on the ground.

• Like 3
hypnotic

Thanks stuart, I will try to put more lube on it. I usually spray the lube on top of the chain hence it looks dry.

@fj_stuart how much was the repair of that gearbox bearing?

fj_stuart
51 minutes ago, hypnotic said:

...how much was the repair of that gearbox bearing?

Well, it was a while ago. Suzuki GT500 in maybe 1985. I did the work myself so only the cost of a bearing & seal. I was living in a top floor tenement flat at the time. I removed the engine in the street and did the work in a walk-in cupboard.

• Like 3
outrunner

I agree with Stuart about it being chain noise, if lube does not help then it's time for a new chain.

Andy.

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

It sounds just like chain noise  I wouldn't worry about the bearings. Try lubricating the chain on the bottom run while spinning the wheel, (not with the engine running!, ) so the lube gets squashed between the chain and the sprocket, it all looks very dry.

davebike

Yes way to dry you need

Lots of Lub

Then cheak adjustment 40mm

I bet the are some stiff links  so ride a bit and see if it improves

Running that dry may have caused permeture sprocket ware so if it dosen't get better with lub you need new chain and sprocets 

Lub is cheap compaired to chains  use lots

• Like 1
hypnotic

The chain is 2yr old (6k miles) but yes, it was a bit neglected as I didnt ride the bike this winter and I left it unlubbed after washing for 2 months. I will take it for a short ride and see if it improves. 

Edited by hypnotic
steelhorseuk

I concur with all above.

That is a chain and rusty sprocket desperate for some lovely lubing! :D

?

With the bike on center stand, the chain rest on the slider/swing arm : Castanets noise...

Edited by Zalman
hypnotic
43 minutes ago, Zalman said:

?

With the bike on center stand, the chain rest on the slider/swing arm : Castanets noise...

It doesn't rest on the slider.

For everyone else, I tried to lube the chain and the cracking is a little bit less hearable. I tried putting the bike on the center stand and running it in first gear and I don't hear any unusual noise. I assume it could be that the links got a bit stiff? I will take it for a ride later today

Xactly

Stiff links was my first thought. The OEM chain isn’t particularly high quality and is prone to this, if neglected. You should be able to tell if any links are “sticky” by checking each one to establish how freely it deflects against its neighbour. Regular lubrication and setting the chain at its maximum free play (40mm or more) is best for longevity and certainly for the health of the gearbox sprocket bearing.

hypnotic
6 minutes ago, Xactly said:

Stiff links was my first thought. The OEM chain isn’t particularly high quality and is prone to this, if neglected. You should be able to tell if any links are “sticky” by checking each one to establish how freely it deflects against its neighbour. Regular lubrication and setting the chain at its maximum free play (40mm or more) is best for longevity and certainly for the health of the gearbox sprocket bearing.

This is a new chain - DID X ring (6k miles) but I was riding it too tight for a few hundred miles (approx 20mm). The bike is DCT and the minimum slack is 30mm so that was the reason I thought it could be the counter shaft bearing.

fj_stuart

I've found that chain noise can be caused by a worn gearbox sprocket. On my CBF & SV I've had "clonking" that was cured by a new sprocket about halfway through the life of the chain. Your sprocket looks ok but they can get worn & hooked before the chain gives up. It's a cheap thing to replace.

hypnotic
4 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

I've found that chain noise can be caused by a worn gearbox sprocket. On my CBF & SV I've had "clonking" that was cured by a new sprocket about halfway through the life of the chain. Your sprocket looks ok but they can get worn & hooked before the chain gives up. It's a cheap thing to replace.

Thanks. I will try to remove the chain and see if the noise is still there, if not then I guess my best bet is to replace the sprocket.

Xactly

OK, so not the original chain. You could try observing each link as it passes over the sprocket to see if you can hear a click on certain links. The other point is that poor chain alignment can cause a clicking noise as the links pass round the gearbox sprocket - an easy way to check if the chain is misaligned. The marks on the swinging arm are not necessarily accurate. I’d advise the outer limit for chain slack whatever the chain type. The X has a fair degree of rear suspension movement. No difference between DCT and manual in this respect.

fj_stuart

From what I can see in the video I don't think the chain has a seized link. If it did you'd see a "kink" in the chain. I've found DID to be the best chains and 6k miles isn't a lot of miles. A good splash of oil is likely all that is needed.

• Like 1
hypnotic
6 minutes ago, Xactly said:

OK, so not the original chain. You could try observing each link as it passes over the sprocket to see if you can hear a click on certain links. The other point is that poor chain alignment can cause a clicking noise as the links pass round the gearbox sprocket - an easy way to check if the chain is misaligned. The marks on the swinging arm are not necessarily accurate. I’d advise the outer limit for chain slack whatever the chain type. The X has a fair degree of rear suspension movement. No difference between DCT and manual in this respect.

So far I haven't noticed anything on the links but it very much sounds like the links do not sit correctly on the sprocket. I checked the alignment with the laser and it's almost perfect.

hypnotic

If camshaft bearing is the issue, would I hear the clicking when I spin the wheel both ways? Currently when I spin backwards there is almost nothing.

Slowboy

I doubt it’s an internal bearing, either cam or gearbox. I agree with others that it’s the chain, it’s been left dry and partially seized. Slap some engine oil on it and manually turn it for a bit to get it all around the chain. If that doesn’t work, get a new chain and sprockets and chalk it up to experience.

The top tip from all this is once you’ve cleaned a chain, lub it up properly before storage

There’s really nothing like extra maintenance that one creates for oneself to help the learning experience.😁 we’ve all done it at some time in one form or other.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
hypnotic
2 minutes ago, slowboy said:

I doubt it’s an internal bearing, either cam or gearbox. I agree with others that it’s the chain, it’s been left dry and partially seized. Slap some engine oil on it and manually turn it for a bit to get it all around the chain. If that doesn’t work, get a new chain and sprockets and chalk it up to experience.

The top tip from all this is once you’ve cleaned a chain, lub it up properly before storage

There’s really nothing like extra maintenance that one creates for oneself to help the learning experience.😁 we’ve all done it at some time in one form or other.

LOL, totally agree. I usually ride all year round but since I've got the baby there are too many commitments so the bike ended up in storage :-)

fj_stuart

Talking of chains.... I've got a long running experiment on the go. I fitted an EK O ring chain to my FJ. After 15,000 miles it was in good condition and hadn't needed much adjustment. But a couple of links were seized so I replaced it with a DID chain. This is because unseizing links is impossible....or is it? I submerged the chain in a 50:50 mix of engine oil & white spirit to see if it would free off. It has been in there for nearly four years now. One day I'll have to fish it out to see if it has recovered.

P1280538

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Grumpy old man

All chains tend to click a bit riding over the sprocket especially when being pushed.

Clean and lube it well then spin it, by hand, and push up on the slack towards the swing arm on the bottom run snd see if there's any difference.  A good indicator for chain slack when on a centre stand is to push the slack up with a little pressure and it should just touch the swing arm in the centre of the run.

Grumpy old man

If you feel so inclined remove the front sprocket and turn it round and see if that makes a difference .

With a DCT bike put it in neutral before you turn in off, otherwise the wheel is stiff to turn.

• Like 2