changing the air in your tyres?

bazza

bazza

well you change your oil right?

you change your air filter?

tyre pressures change when its cold and then again when its hot -funny that innit?

so on another forum there is a lively chat about changing the air in your tyres

Like at home -we all know you need to open your windows to get rid of stale air.

so should you change your tyre air?

you could fill it with nitrogen - posh gas for faster more expensive bikes!

or maybe hydrogen -lighter than air -go faster and float over bumps and sleeping policemen?

so knowledgeable ones

what do you put in your rubber?

you know it makes sense

baz

ps save gas  - f*rt in a jar!

• Haha 5
jeremyr62

Just. No.

Andy m
13 minutes ago, bazza said:

what do you put in your rubber 

Sorry, typed the reply then realised this isn't the forum I thought it was, this one is motorcycles

cheers

Latex Larry

• Haha 9
listener
34 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Sorry, typed the reply then realised this isn't the forum I thought it was, this one is motorcycles

cheers

Latex Larry

Soooo! You were really looking for the "Leisure Suit Larry In The Land Of The Lounge Lizards" gaming forum? :P

ll_011.png

• Haha 1
listener
1 hour ago, bazza said:

you could fill it with nitrogen - posh gas for faster more expensive bikes!

or maybe hydrogen -lighter than air -go faster and float over bumps and sleeping policemen?

Methanethiol - if you get a puncture, you'll smell it! :sick:

• Haha 4
Xactly

Noooooo. Never change the air! If you do you’ll lose ££££s off the bikes value. Also Hondas are faster with Japanese air in the tyres. Always trade in before the tyres wear down and be very careful not to get a puncture. That’s what my dealer said anyway, and he should know. PCP deals always have optimum mileages to reflect this..

• Haha 2
Jamesc

New tyres come with new air pre-installed within, so it's OK if you forget to change regularly 

• Haha 2
Trev

Since becoming a forum member and having my eyes opened to the dread of tubed tyres, I now always add an extra few psi to each tyre so that, in the inevitable event of a puncture, I have a little longer to react 👍

• Haha 4
Rev Ken

I fill my tyres with Nitrogen, plus a little dash of Oxygen and other minor gases.:whistle:

• Haha 8
bazza
1 hour ago, Trev said:

Since becoming a forum member and having my eyes opened to the dread of tubed tyres, I now always add an extra few psi to each tyre so that, in the inevitable event of a puncture, I have a little longer to react 👍

well done Trev!- a better solution

• pump it up to 150psi then a nail couldn't get in -like it hits a wall of air!

why not simply get solid tyres - no air in them. Last forever and no more punctures!

seems theres a lot of extra  mileage in this thread!

baz

• Haha 2
Xactly
13 minutes ago, bazza said:

well done Trev!- a better solution

• pump it up to 150psi then a nail couldn't get in -like it hits a wall of air!

why not simply get solid tyres - no air in them. Last forever and no more punctures!

seems theres a lot of extra  mileage in this thread!

baz

Solid tyres on my pram may have permanently damaged me. If not that it was the ones on my first (and only) tricycle. Think I’ll risk the puncture…..Anyway, knowing my luck I’d run over an armour piercing shell. Instant deflation of a tyre pumped up to 150psi would be “interesting”….😊

listener
49 minutes ago, bazza said:

Not very comfy though!

What about 'airless' (although I'm bloody sure there's air between those 'spokes' :devil:)?

https://www.michelin.com/en/innovation/vision-concept/airless/

It is well known that air in tyres gets rancid over time, and loses its spring. It should be replaced at least twice a year with fresh outdoor air; four times in the tropics. I myself am finicky: I let the old air off, inflate the tyre with new air and let if off again, so that the old air gets changed completely, and only after that I inflate the tyre again for riding.

Edited by GerJ
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
MatBin

At my annual service the technician replaced the air in my tyres. I know this because it was on the invoice, when I questioned the service manager he offered to show me the video and also the latest manual update from Honda Japan, so it must be correct.

Apparently they haven't been doing it on their MotoGP bikes and they are attributing this to their poor performance as of late, but will start after the summer break.

I rang Bennett's and they confirmed they didn't need to know as they didn't see it as a modification.

Edited by MatBin
  • Haha 7
listener
24 minutes ago, GerJ said:

It is well known that air in tyres gets rancid over time, and loses its spring. It should be replaced at least twice a year with fresh outdoor air; four times in the tropics. I myself am finicky: I let the old air off, inflate the tyre with new air and let if off again, so that the old air gets changed completely, and only after that I inflate the tyre again for riding.

That sounds like Double Dutch to me, Ger! :devil::lol:

Ever thought of selling off that old air?

"Get the essence of tulips and coffeeshops for just €10 a jar."

• Haha 1
Jamesc
7 minutes ago, listener said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRf3wDpUC_XNb3QvTLSa3U

• Haha 1
bazza
1 hour ago, GerJ said:

that would be proper EU air then?  Be careful none of that gas from the eastern  pipeline gets near!

Edited by bazza

I think you'll find that the latest and most scientifically evidenced research suggests that unicornis pedit (latin) provides a superior ride and handling characteristics. Lewis Hamilton is having some filled in his F1 tyres to aid his performance.

listener
32 minutes ago, widu13 said:

think you'll find that the latest and most scientifically evidenced research suggests that unicornis pedit (latin) provides a superior ride and handling characteristics.

And, since unicorn farts are rainbow coloured, you'll be able to see where any leak is! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
BackMarker

Don't forget, CO2 (molecular weight 20) is heavier than N2 (molecular weight 14). So as the 0.04% of CO2 in air increases, due to the widely publicised causes of Anthropogenic Global Warming, your tyres will weigh more, decreasing your acceleration.

Or not. :brr:

jeremyr62
55 minutes ago, BackMarker said:

Don't forget, CO2 (molecular weight 20)

I think you meant to say 44g/mol.

bazza

oh I love it when you talk dirty!

Not sure about bringing poor old Lewis Hamilton in at present - Fantastic driver but no one stays at the top forever!

Andy m
On 05/07/2022 at 19:19, listener said:

On 05/07/2022 at 18:45, GerJ said:

On 05/07/2022 at 20:31, bazza said:

that would be proper EU air then?  Be careful none of that gas from the eastern  pipeline gets near!

On 06/07/2022 at 15:30, BackMarker said:

Don't forget, CO2 (molecular weight 20) is heavier than N2 (molecular weight 14). So as the 0.04% of CO2 in air increases, due to the widely publicised causes of Anthropogenic Global Warming, your tyres will weigh more, decreasing your acceleration.

Or not. :brr:

Directive EC/1d10t will eventually require the recovered air to be captured, filtered and re-used. 

Trials are underway 

Andy 

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
thumpingrug

Im on the South coast.  I think you will find that our air is a far superior quality than any of that Northen muck.  

• Grrr 1
  • Haha 2