Fuel consumption has suddenly got a lot worse

Blandy199

Slowboy
40 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

Snake oil I think, or very  close to it. Decent petrol has all the detergent you need.

Ah, but a mate down the pub said he’d heard about a YouTube video where a quote out of context showed that engine was 8.765% smoother and 9.375% more powerful when Doctor Thunderer’s engine elixir was added. Another mate said he’d probably remembered that and it also made the rider 7.245% more attractive…….

So it must be true, or something, although no one could remember where it should be added, or when, or at what altitude…….😂

Edited by Freeroader
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Case

• jeremyr62

• Xactly

• Blandy199

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the chart for my previous NC750X DCT. Bought in March 2015 and owned for four years (W at bottom = winter period).   I've noticed a similar winter drop on all my bikes going bac

Silly question, but is it the colder weather? My NC700x was less economical in winter on my 30 mile commute, I just put it down to it taking much longer to warm up on days when it was between 0 and 5

My other hobbie is boating, E10 petrol just doesn't keep, seems to seperate out in the outboard tank.  As I take the spare fuel can to fill up on the NC  I usual top the bike tank off at the same time

jeremyr62
5 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Does Redex also contain an Octane booster?

I doubt it. If it did they would use it in the marketing. They make separate "performance boosting" products anyway.

jeremyr62

If these so called performance enhancing cleaner type products worked, all they would need to do is sponsor an independent research institute to do a proper scientific trial. The marketing gold this would provide would be invaluable, and the cost trivial to the potential gains. The fact they hardly ever do, tells me all I need to know.

PoppetM

Definitely the cold… I can’t two full commutes out of the scoot, I am having to fill up up halfway on the second day. When it warms up I can squeeze 180 miles out of it with 27miles spare…

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Freeroader said:

Ah, but a mate down the pub said he’d heard about a YouTube video where a quote out of context showed that engine was 8.765% smoother and 9.375% more powerful when Doctor Thunderer’s engine elixir was added. Another mate said he’d probably remembered that and it also made the rider 7.245% more attractive…….

So it must be true, or something, although no one could remember where it should be added, or when, or at what altitude…….😂

3 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

If these so called performance enhancing cleaner type products worked, all they would need to do is sponsor an independent research institute to do a proper scientific trial. The marketing gold this would provide would be invaluable, and the cost trivial to the potential gains. The fact they hardly ever do, tells me all I need to know.

Yes, there's a lot of snake oil products out there, remember the hype when Slick50 first appeared?  IMHO RedEx isn't one of them, it's sold more as a cleaner than performance booster.

Few years back Fifth Gear did a thing, trying to restore lost bhp on a VW.  Just using RedEx realised some impressive results..  Pretty good for something that only costs around 5-6 quid!

jeremyr62

I knew that would come up. It's not very scientific. It it hadn't worked they wouldn't have much of a segment for the show.  The experimental uncertainty on Dynos is probably more than the 3% increase in hp they claim to create. Who knows what the original hp of the engine was in the first place. The fact they quote 190hp and then get very close to it is suspicious as we all know quoted power figures are never that accurate. It's good entertainment but I still don't believe Redex is any better then putting a tank full of premium petrol through your engine once in a while. That's my take. Other opinions are available.

Scootabout
23 hours ago, listener said:

This is the chart for my previous NC750X DCT.

Bought in March 2015 and owned for four years (W at bottom = winter period).

I've noticed a similar winter drop on all my bikes going back to when I started recording fuel consumption on the KLE500 in 1991.

NC750-X-Consumption.png

That makes me file *slightly* better about the 36 mpg that showed on the V85TT's computer after a local run in heavy traffic the other day. I don't keep records, but I suspect in summer the same run would have returned around 10 mpg more. 

listener
23 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

That makes me file *slightly* better about the 36 mpg that showed on the V85TT's computer after a local run in heavy traffic the other day. I don't keep records, but I suspect in summer the same run would have returned around 10 mpg more. 

You evil polluter,, you! :angel:

1003-WGP-pic1-Padding-L-200.png

• Haha 2
Steve Case

Who does the injection cleaner, only additive i've ever used, every time the time the VAG variable vane turbo clogged up with carbon and put the car in 'limp' mode...... Again!

I had heard that super unleaded with octane booster will give you 100 octane fuel.

poldark

Tec4 do some excellent Diesel cleaners, I use once annually before MOT(smoke test), but not sure petrol engines have the same need.

I've been using premium fuel (Tesco 99) exclusively recently as it's E5 and I get circa 5% better mpg than E10 for about 5% more cost, so the extra detergent in it is in effect free!!😁

Edited by poldark
  • Like 1
Steve Case

For the NC not so interested as long as a tank lasts a week.

Higher octane fuel would be the Triumph.

Steve Case

However i may try a cheaper premium to decrease consumption.

Everytime the weather moves below 5 degrees its like the starting enrichment circuit never cuts out, very honda.

Andy m
12 hours ago, Scootabout said:

36 mpg that showed on the V85TT's computer

Ah, the Spagetti calculator. The V7 shows an average of 85 mpg. This would give a range of 390 miles. The warning light comes on at 220 at which point you put 4 gallons in 😞😩

13 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

For the NC not so interested as long as a tank lasts a week.

Higher octane fuel would be the Triumph.

Boosting the octane to gain HP but not then using it, so cruise at 25% not 27% throttle might increase the range.

Cost, rather than hassle wise, you'd almost certainly pay for the privilege though. Super unleaded seems to be slightly more pence per mile but does contain more energy while Redex will undoubtedly be even more just because the retailers will want serious margin on snake oil.

I looked at using food colouring to make my own E0 for the CB350. Throwing away 10% of what you bought is close to the cost of just buying Esso. Throw in the supermarket colouring and buying containers and the refineries scale of production just kicks your @#$%.

Andy

Edited by Andy m

The old Redex certainly did something. I once gave my wife’s Metro the full treatment - squirted some down each plug hole and in the carb mouth. Went for an Italian tune-up drive. It was a summer evening and I drove about 12 miles up the A41 towards Bicester, crouching down so that the drivers of oncoming vehicles couldn’t make eye contact. Not bothered about those behind as they couldn’t overtake because I was laying down a thick, acrid smoke screen with which any self-respecting destroyer captain would have been proud….Maybe not scientific but my feeling is that the engine definitely ran better, within the limitations of its capability. I doubt that the modern, more targeted stuff does much, but probably doesn’t have carginogens in it either.

I always use premium, don’t pay attention to on-bike mpg calculations and spend rather than use my fuel anyway, not bothering about mpg fluctuations unless there’s a rich fuel stink from the exhaust, suggesting something wrong. I used to keep spreadsheets but these days I just can’t be bothered. I still used “trike” for cleaning until it all got used up….

• Haha 1

Use super in my bikes if poss as not everywhere has it anymore. Use redex in the carbed bandit as more of a hit and hope 

Steve Case

Just looked the cost of premium round here and its 20p or more a ltr so thats not happening with the NC.

If i can ever be arsed getting the Trumpet going that may get some to stop the motor melting...

poldark
20 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

Just looked the cost of premium round here and its 20p or more a ltr so thats not happening with the NC.

If i can ever be arsed getting the Trumpet going that may get some to stop the motor melting...

Tesco Premium is only around 7p dearer, so about the same as E10 in the posher places and circa 5% over their E10.

P.S. Of course only useful if you have a nearby Tesco!!

Edited by poldark
Steve Case
1 hour ago, poldark said:

Tesco Premium is only around 7p dearer, so about the same as E10 in the posher places and circa 5% over their E10.

P.S. Of course only useful if you have a nearby Tesco!!

Oh blimey it is same in Stevenage may try it out.

fj_stuart

As I understand it premium fuels have a higher octane rating. Unless your engine needs this you're wasting money. High performance turbo petrol cars with knock sensors can benefit because they can use more boost pressure. My fleet all run ok on Asda's finest E10.

Edited by fj_stuart
  • Like 2
Steve Case

If it gets it off the enrichment cycle earlier when its cold, would be nice.

Its worth a punt just to see if it gets the mpgs back up again

poldark

Well it was wanting to stay with E5 and avoid petrol with even more non-petrol in it, that pushed me to Tesco Premium rather than any octane difference.

Happy to pay 5% more to avoid E10, as said any included detergent pack is a bonus.

• Like 1
Scootabout
42 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

If it gets it off the enrichment cycle earlier when its cold, would be nice.

Its worth a punt just to see if it gets the mpgs back up again

Talking of enricheners, my old Burgman AN400Y, with carburetor, apparently had one that functioned by the melting and solidifying of wax. When it was cold the wax was solid, and the enrichener was (somehow) on. Then as the engine heated up the wax melted, thus turning the enrichener off. Doesn't sound very high tech, but it seemed to work. 

Scootabout
6 hours ago, Andy m said:

Ah, the Spagetti calculator. The V7 shows an average of 85 mpg. This would give a range of 390 miles. The warning light comes on at 220 at which point you put 4 gallons in 😞😩

To be fair, on the three occasions I checked it against the fill-up volume, it was only different by about 2 mpg. 

• Like 1
Scootabout
19 hours ago, listener said:

You evil polluter,, you! :angel:

1003-WGP-pic1-Padding-L-200.png

I've only told Greta about the 68 mpg I get on a long run, in summer. She says she's fine with that, as long as I get an electric bike soon. I said I will, once the CO2 emitted in manufacture of my current bike has been amortized and the range of electric bikes has improved.  She said she's fine with that. (Or at least I think that's what she said.)

• Haha 1
fj_stuart
1 hour ago, Scootabout said:

Talking of enricheners, my old Burgman AN400Y, with carburetor, apparently had one that functioned by the melting and solidifying of wax. 

Talking of carbs. I discovered that my CBF had a carb heater. A small unit on the underside of the float bowl. I held it and switched the bike on. It was really hot. My multimeter indicated that it was drawing 18W - about the same as a heated grip. Later when removing the starter motor I broke the heated off. This made no difference to the bike's running even during a Scottish winter.