Every 5th or 6th start it doesn't

Steve Case

Steve Case

And an update on the update, the cause is finally revealed.... incompetance!

The brushes fixed the original problem, the subsequent non starting was the battery being flattened due to non charging caused by the alternator wires being damaged.

The fact shorting the relay caused the starter to spin was it never spun fast enough to engage the sprag.

I'll reopen an old thread on the alternator cable damage as it will be better covered there.

• Thanks 3
Steve Case

Actually I will say here one caution.

There are 3 wires held in a zip tie and behind a clamp plate at the back of the alternator cover, this clamp plate also holds a breather pipe in place.

This clamp plate and zip tie do not however restrain the alternator wire(s) that pop out the alternator cover from behind the clamp plate and its not zip tied to the other wires, my tip here would be to tie them together with a couple of zip ties.

The reason I say this is that as you all probably know the front sprocket cover has a tunnel which the wires should sit in, however fitting the cover back on can be a faff and its hard to know which and how many wires are in the tunnel as its blind. So by zip tying them together all the wires have to be in the tunnel removing the possibility of any dropping into the sprocket area.

Ask me how I know!

• Thanks 2