Tyre pressure(s)

MatBin

MatBin

Haven't looked at mine for a while, but handling was awful last night up a country lane and not particularly brilliant on the main road either.

I used my car repair pump, thought the gauge might be wrong but checked it against the car which has just been serviced and has pressure sensors and it registered what the car was supposed to be, so, reasonably confident the gauge is accurate enough.

Just checked them and they were low, so who fancies guessing how low?

• Sigh 1
listener

My guess would be 15 PSI.

That's what both of my tyres read back in July 2020.

How they got that low without me noticing is beyond me! :doh:

• Like 1
Viator

By the sound of it very low! 😲 

If you value your life get yourself a pocket pressure gauge and check them before every ride. Tyre condition and correct pressure are one of the most safety critical items on the bike (or any vehicle).

Halfords Mini Keyring Tyre Pressure Gauge | Halfords UK 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
alhendo1
9 minutes ago, Viator said:

If you value your life get yourself a pocket pressure gauge and check them before every ride. Tyre condition and correct pressure are one of the most safety critical items on the bike (or any vehicle).

I've got one of these...lasted for years and compared against my other gauge which lives in the garage they're within half a psi of each other...I'd agree with your recommendation 👍

• Like 1
Johnnie Mototrans

12psi in total.

A seven and a five.

• Haha 2
  • Sigh 3
ChrisCB
38 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Haven't looked at mine for a while, but handling was awful last night up a country lane and not particularly brilliant on the main road either.

I used my car repair pump, thought the gauge might be wrong but checked it against the car which has just been serviced and has pressure sensors and it registered what the car was supposed to be, so, reasonably confident the gauge is accurate enough.

Just checked them and they were low, so who fancies guessing how low?

Mind you the road up to the pub is like a dry river bed and most bikes feel like that.

• Like 1
Rev Ken
8 minutes ago, Viator said:

I doubt many of us do that! :no:(You would think some wheels are designed to make taking tyre pressures difficult.) :dielaugh:It is obvious if a tyre is flat when getting the bike out and most of us recognise when they are getting soft, so I found a check once a month was satisfactory, especially with tubeless tyres and fewer horse shoe nails:oldfart: on the road. 

Still it won't do any harm to check them every time; perhaps I am just lazy......:whistle:

• Like 1
Rev Ken
14 minutes ago, Johnnie Mototrans said:

12psi in total.

A seven and a five.

Ouch! Perhaps I was being a little optimistic when I wrote above that riders recognise when their tyres are soft and notice when they are flat when pulling the bike out. With tyres that soft didn't you find pushing your bike out of the garage was getting harder than you expected?

MatBin
16 minutes ago, ChrisCB said:

Mind you the road up to the pub is like a dry river bed and most bikes feel like that.

True, but the NC was all over the place, my lad wasnt too happy on his either.

Johnnie Mototrans
51 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Ouch! Perhaps I was being a little optimistic when I wrote above that riders recognise when their tyres are soft and notice when they are flat when pulling the bike out. With tyres that soft didn't you find pushing your bike out of the garage was getting harder than you expected?

Sorry Ken

That was my guess for Mats pressures.

Tho, I do have to admit that mine were shockingly low when I arrived for my MOT this year.

• Thanks 1
outrunner

I check pressures at least once a week, does that make me odd?

Andy.

• Like 2

I don't get out my mine as often as I'd like so I check mine before every ride. It only takes a minute.

• Like 2
Xactly
4 minutes ago, outrunner said:

Andy.

No.

listener
3 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

Still it won't do any harm to check them every time; perhaps I am just lazy......:whistle:

I usually check my tyres every month or so (for pressure, damage & tread).

The occasion I had low pressure was during Corvid lockdown, so the bike was sitting idle for a good while between shopping trips.

I was a bit remiss in checking the tyres due to that.

Tyre pressures !!

never ever checked them - spoiled by TPS on the Landy, must do better, considering that I changed the tyres on the RE very early on because the handling was not good - never actually checked the pressures.

MatBin

35/40 f/r seems to have made a bit of a difference.🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Rev Ken
19 hours ago, outrunner said:

Andy.

Only every second week:dielaugh:

• Haha 2
Andy m

If 15 psi is "sand" pressure, anything higher must be fine for the road.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sigh 1
Steve Case

Yeah, lot of deserts near you?

I check mine once a week along with oil, water & brake fluid levels on the bike and her car.

Most of the time no change but sometimes you end up catching something, like water levels low today cos i did valve checks last weekend refilled and the water levels settled.

Scootabout

With bikes and cars I try to establish how much fluid - air, water, oil etc - they tend to lose over time. Then I choose my check interval accordingly. Sor for the bike tyres are every couple of weeks.  For the car it's about every three months. 

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

I check tyres before every ride but I don't commute just pleasure riding, what I don't do is check them while on a tour perhaps I should.

MatBin
On 18/08/2023 at 18:57, Viator said:

Went to Halfords to get one, found one, but couldn't find anyone to serve me, so after waiting at the till for 10mins I left without it, suppose I could have stolen it though, but decided against it. Order something similar of SBS online.

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
Steve Case

A man of your caliber needs a flexi hose oxford type gauge to fit in the frunk for 'emergencies'.

And a run to the shop to pick it up!

Egg on Leggs
On 18/08/2023 at 21:57, outrunner said:

Andy.

Yes, I check my tyres every week and I am odd.

• Haha 1