NC700X - Cleaning the grey 'bellypan' part

Guest The Mad Jock

Guest The Mad Jock

Hoping people will understand the part I mean, the light grey plastic part in front of the exhaust downpipes which gets all the road grime thrown at it from the front wheel. 

After only 600 miles my one looks filthy and doesn't really seem to look better even when cleaned with Muck-Off and gently scrubbed, the grime seems to have stained it permanently.  I dare say the light grey colour wasn't the brightest of ideas but am I the only one who'd like to see it clean up better?

steelhorseuk

Totally agree Mad Jock, having the same problem myself!

I was going to try and take them off and have a go but my first attempt failed as I couldnt seem to remove them..

Will have another go soon ..

Mark   

Spray it with black plasti-dip. That's what I'll be doing with mine shortly.

• Like 1

Great idea and i will also try myself once I seen how yours comes out :)

• Like 1
steelhorseuk

Nice one Dave, I will give WD40 a go aswell.

Mark

Great idea and i will also try myself once I seen how yours comes out :)

Hahaha.........I like that. :)

Edited by wozza

Id like mine colour coded in white, is there a white plast dip.. but then how the hell would i keep it clean..!_!

Yes I think there is a white Plasti-Dip..... Don't know about cleaning that colour though....:§

Guest sidemp

wozza you have me hankering now to go searching for it when i get back.. keeping it clean would ne a nightmare but Id like to try it and see how it looks..!!

Plasti-Dip is amazing stuff and will spray on anything metals, wood etc etc. It doesn't chip as it's a flexible plastic. If for some reason you want to remove the Plasti-Di it's very easy and virtually comes off in one go. It protects the surface underneath and is impervious to most things including high temperatures.

Guest motorboy

Put me down with the I hate cleaning the front piece as with Wozza I'm thinking of painting mine over here we have Krylon fussion paint made for painting plastic works well   going to taking some cleaning to get all the WD-40 off it first..

Wozza will a 400ml spray can be enough? Or do you actually by a large tin and dip it? How about the primer?

Wozza will a 400ml spray can be enough? Or do you actually by a large tin and dip it? How about the primer?

Hi Tony a spray can will be fine. No primer is required though just make sure the surface is free of grease etc. Upon looking at that site which can't be mentioned I see that other companies are now starting to make a similar product to Plasti-Dip. Plasti-Dip is quite expensive in the UK (it's a USA product). I might try one of these other makes as they're a lot cheaper and see how I get on.

Hi Tony a spray can will be fine. No primer is required though just make sure the surface is free of grease etc. Upon looking at that site which can't be mentioned I see that other companies are now starting to make a similar product to Plasti-Dip. Plasti-Dip is quite expensive in the UK (it's a USA product). I might try one of these other makes as they're a lot cheaper and see how I get on.

8 quid for a 400ml can of Plastidip does not sound that pricey to me Wozza. Will check out others though but would rather use a proven product

Plastidip gunmetal might go better with a black S that has gunmetal engine colour already :)

Edited by tc3

Tony, which product is that one, coz actual Plasti-Dip (original product) spray tins were now around £22-25? Well they were on my very brief search yesterday.

Gunmetal sounds pretty good I must admit....

Here's a Harley heavy metal chrome rear light which I sprayed with plasti-dip. The  chrome underneath is protected from the elements.

rearlight.jpg

Guest seanmc

I have seen some metal belly pans which looks like they will replce the plastic bits..But yeah i think a black coat of plasticy stuff would help

Tony, which product is that one, coz actual Plasti-Dip (original product) spray tins were now around £22-25? Well they were on my very brief search yesterday.

Gunmetal sounds pretty good I must admit....

Here's a Harley heavy metal chrome rear light which I sprayed with plasti-dip. The  chrome underneath is protected from the elements.

rearlight.jpg

Wozza did you look here on the UK Plasti-dip site? The gunmetal costs 10 quid but on checking a lot of the stuff says no stock. Maybe they order when you buy?

Good finish on that. Should be easy to get a smooth finish like that if you do a few light coats. Thanks for the pic

Guest motorboy

green scotch bright pad and some dawn dish liquid and elbow grease.  Looks like new.

I have tired WD40 and 409 ok not great I will try scotch bright& dawn I already have both..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bigjeff

green scotch bright pad and some dawn dish liquid and elbow grease.  Looks like new.

I have tired WD40 and 409 ok not great I will try scotch bright& dawn I already have both..

how did it go?

Guest motorboy

how did it go?

Have not tried it yet, just forgot

edgey999

I have used my wifes "astonish" kitchen cleaner with a green scouring pad, which seems to work a treat. Got the astonish from the local £1 shop.

It is mildly abrasive but does not damage the plastic. My next plan if this stops getting it clean is to stop caring and just ride the damn thing :D