• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shiggsy

• Ralph

• embee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The tensile strength is a bit of a red herring though, if it's strong enough it's strong enough. Sure they make different spec chains because different applications need different strength etc.   Th

I'm always told that manufacturers persist in fitting drive chains because 'they are long lasting and cheap'. My experience is that they can be one or the other - rarely both!

I can recommend the Sealy VS779 chain tool. Excellent piece of kit and not expensive. They’ve even posted a video of how to use it.    

I have just over 11,000 miles on my NCX and the chain and sprockets seen fine, I do have a Tutoro chain oiler fitted.

Do you folk that have had to change your chain/sprockets use a chain oiler?

• 3 weeks later...
Mike5100

Does anyone know whether the Honda front sprocket has 'cushioning'  When I had a Versys, a few riders changed theirs for pattern items (no rubbers in) and said the ride was much harsher.

If the Honda sprocket has rubbers, does the JT replacement?  Final question - is that chain for the Integra the same length as needed for the NCX?

Thanks

Mike

OEM front sprocket is all metal. My Tiger 1050 was the same, had a rubber insert and was harsher if you went all metal.

Derek_Mac

Does anyone know whether the Honda front sprocket has 'cushioning'  When I had a Versys, a few riders changed theirs for pattern items (no rubbers in) and said the ride was much harsher.

If the Honda sprocket has rubbers, does the JT replacement?  Final question - is that chain for the Integra the same length as needed for the NCX?

Thanks

Mike

Mike, can't help with the sprocket question.

Looking at an owners manual for the NC700D Integra and at the manual for the NC700X DCT shows that they both have 112 links in their chains.

Mike5100

Thanks derek.  dealer has just quoted me £500 for new chain and rear sprocket (JT and DID) plus a new Honda front sprocket and changing the tyres for two new Michelin PR3's  He claims he is only adding a couple of hours labour  ;)

Mike

Derek_Mac

Honda charge £144.48 for the 112 link DID chain and £40.18 for the genuine front sprocket, I haven't a clue about JT's charges.

You might save a quite few quid by buying the chain and rear sprocket from JT yourself and getting your dealer to fit them for you.

Hmm, the NC700X Manual and Auto have the same length and wheelbase, yet the Auto has 2 links less in the chain. Front sprocket must be further back on the Auto?

Derek_Mac

Hmm, the NC700X Manual and Auto have the same length and wheelbase, yet the Auto has 2 links less in the chain. Front sprocket must be further back on the Auto?

There's a  different number of teeth on the rear sprocket, auto has 39 and manual has 43.

• 1 year later...
Mike5100

hmmm I have been quoted a very fair price by the Honda dealer to fit a DID X-ring chain (while I wait).  They are quoting a 520VXGB which seems to agree with what people are saying on here.  But when I looked on the DID site they say their OE equivalent is the 525VX

Mike

520 is the correct size, not 525.

I'm guessing but I suspect the G is for gold sideplates. I fitted a gold DID VX chain to my Integra, very good so far.

Would be really great and helpful to all if someone or combined parties  :poke:  on here has the definite knowlege and  part number suppliers for for 525 upgrades and front rear sprockets for all models of 700x/s and the 750x/s  :D

• Like 1
Guest Peterpoddy

Have a look at the USA forum for chain info:

http://no copying from other forums!/forum/nc700-technical/4855-525-chain-conversion.html

General consensus is that a 525 chain is a waste of time. I do a lot of miles and I'll just be getting the best quality DID 520 chain they make when I need one.

I've currently got about 14,000 miles on a Honda set. I reckon it would go double that with wear fairly easily (I've not even adjusted it for 2000 miles now!) but every link is a bit tight now so I'll just string it out as long as I dare. I don't think it's even half way through the adjustment so far, so it's just the quality of the chain that's letting it down.

Edited by Peterpoddy
Mike5100

Have a look at the USA forum for chain info:

http://no copying from other forums!/forum/nc700-technical/4855-525-chain-conversion.html

General consensus is that a 525 chain is a waste of time. I do a lot of miles and I'll just be getting the best quality DID 520 chain they make when I need one.

I've currently got about 14,000 miles on a Honda set. I reckon it would go double that with wear fairly easily (I've not even adjusted it for 2000 miles now!) but every link is a bit tight now so I'll just string it out as long as I dare. I don't think it's even half way through the adjustment so far, so it's just the quality of the chain that's letting it down.

Hmmmm ... I'm not so sure about the non-adjustment thing Peter.  I was thinking the same about mine - that it must be good because I'm not having to adjust it.  But when I examined it in detail there were at least a dozen, maybe 20 sticking links.  These were in effect shortening the chain.  Once I got most of them freed off the chain hung down in a much bigger loop.  I reckon if I got them all freed off properly I would have to pull the adjusters out quite a bit.

Mike

ScaredyCat

Might be a dumb question but, are things like chain, sprockets, tyres etc required to be done at the dealer to maintain the warranty?

Just been out to prep my bike and it looks like I need a new chain, rear sprocket looks ok, unsure about front.

I also need a new rear tyre.

With Honda wanting 180 odd + 1 hour labour for chain+sprockets plus whatever they'd charge for the tyre, which would no doubt be well over what you can get them for online it's going to get expensive quickly....

I'm sure a local "bike bloke" could do it for a lot less (although I haven't checked that yet) 

I've only got 8k miles out of this chain :(

Edited by ScaredyCat
Guest Peterpoddy

I got 12000 miles from the standard chain. changed to 525x and have 20000 on that and it hasn't been adjusted for 12000

The standard chain is crap. You'd get the same mileage out of a top quality 520 as you would a similar 525.... That's the idea. Not that a good chain will do more miles than a crap one like the Honda OEM item.

For the record my I could probably get 20,000 out of a standard chain. I'm on 14,000 now and I've not adjusted it more than 4-5 times in that time.

Edited by Peterpoddy
Guest Peterpoddy

Hmmmm ... I'm not so sure about the non-adjustment thing Peter. I was thinking the same about mine - that it must be good because I'm not having to adjust it. But when I examined it in detail there were at least a dozen, maybe 20 sticking links. These were in effect shortening the chain. Once I got most of them freed off the chain hung down in a much bigger loop. I reckon if I got them all freed off properly I would have to pull the adjusters out quite a bit.

Mike

Mine aren't that bad. Chain hangs straight. I'm just keeping an eye on it. I've run FAR worse chains than this. I can't afford to be changing them every five minutes just because there's a stiff link. :)

The reason I'm not adjusting it is because of the riding I do. Steady 50 or 70mph cruising for the most part, and also because I'm a very, very smooooooth rider. (Blowing my own trumpet there but it's true!)

Edited by Peterpoddy