Trouble finding neutral

Guest esullivan

Guest esullivan

I bought my S a year ago (almost to the day) and have 13,000 miles on it. I had the chain and sprockets changed at around 12K, so not long ago. I've noticed that I sometimes have trouble finding neutral when parking -- a click up and it goes into second, click down and back into first, repeat a few times until the green light finally stays on.

This started recently, but not immediately after the new chain and sprockets so I don't think it's that. The tension seems OK, maybe very, very slightly on the tight rather than loose side (an inch of give in the middle, compared with the specified range of 1"-1.4"). I don't recall ever having this problem while waiting at a red light, only after riding to work or home and trying to park it, so the engine is warm. About 80% of my riding is in central London, so slow filtering, slipping the clutch, accelerate to the next lights, etc.

What could it be? What sort of things should I be checking?

bikerbampi

How much free play is there at the lever?  Sounds like the clutch cable may need adjustment, or the clutch push rod needs cleaning to stop it sticking.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by bikerbampi
Guest esullivan

I checked the free play over lunch and it seems fine (1/2 - 3/4 of an inch, maybe, but that was eye-balling it). I'll check the oil when I get home. I haven't done that in a couple of weeks. The oil has never, ever budged on this bike, so getting lax... 

Guest machinman

I had exactly the same problem with my ex demo model. It was warped steels that go inbetween the clutch friction plates.

Done under warranty , no problems apart from the dealer had to have a tool made to hold the clutch hub to torque it up as this special tool was not available.

My gear selection us fine now including neutral, but il gladly get rid if it starts occurring again.

Please email tomorrow if you need any more info (work shifts)

Cheers. Stuart.

I had the same , had a new clutch cable put in , now clicks in nice and smooth

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!

You need a new clutch cable at only 12,000, I would think the clutch cable would last longer than just 12K miles.

To me, any odd ball shifting is due to engine oil, and it needing to be changed.

• 4 weeks later...

It's right there :whistle::

23h3dkh.jpg

DCT IS FOR LASY RIDERS.

DCT IS FOR LASY RIDERS.

I compensate for the reduced effort required by playing snake on an old Nokia in my left hand.

.....lol :-D

Edited by wozza

Jealous are we?

Had a go on a nc with dct but just couldn't get on with it just didn't feel right, maybe because I'm old school and feel the need for a clutch leaver. So no jealousy honest.

Well I do like both, and occasionally I do get a hankering for a manual. The thing I like about the DCT is that sometimes when I'm in a lazy no hurry mood it's just perfect for carefree riding. When you want to 'spruce it up abit' I still use D mode, but let the bike kick down a gear when coming out of a bend and you get a sudden rush of acceleration. :)

Edited by wozza

Personal choice and all that but give me a manual anyday

Auto is just too easy in my mind its easier to bond and build up a fondness for our bikes with plenty of gear shifts which gives the ride more involvement.

• Like 2

Auto is just too easy in my mind its easier to bond and build up a fondness for our bikes with plenty of gear shifts which gives the ride more involvement.

I agree with you and that :)

Me too.

Guest EasyTiger
DCT IS FOR LASY RIDERS.

If only that were true...

The DCT version is simply not effortless enough for us effort-shy riders. There's no step through, so we have to swing our leg over for a start. No keyless ignition, no electronic windscreen raiser, and no auto folding or extending mirrors. Astonishingly for a bike often used by commuters, all these require manual intervention. As if those were not exhausting enough, the sidestand neither extends nor retracts automatically, and there's no electric centre stand. On the road, we are forced to use manually or foot-activated brakes where proximity sensors could take out all the work out. Refuelling involves at least three manual operations, including holding the pump nozzle.

Free from the unconscious drain of brain energy to operate the gears with the less dextrous foot and the more awkward hand, we are fated to worry whether the bike is in the correct mode for the conditions, forced to intervene if it starts to lug, or to drop a gear for a hot corner or an overtake - it's a mobile black hole. Managing the extra few bhp takes us to the edge. There's no cruise control, no windscreen wiper, no heated seat - and worst of all, no thermal cupholder.

We are forced to ride thousands, or even tens of thousands, of miles to get any appreciation at all of the DCT's labour-saving qualities. During that time, despite having paid more, we are still required to coordinate our knee grip and body position to maximise our enjoyment. Without rear-facing cameras or windscreen head-up displays, we still have to carry out our own shoulder checks and lifesavers. Simultaneously, we are processing the entire IPSGA programme in our head without the assistance of any app. Do you wonder those top riders and F1 drivers with their little flippers are always crashing?...Unbelievably, even with a £660 Zumo Satnav fitted the bike doesn't follow a set route on its own, but has to be guided through bends and corners, with no chance to eat a Big Mac, dip the fries in the tomato sauce, or send a simple text. I won't mention the chain drive...

Sometimes I long for the past, and the simple carefree days of the light naked bike with old-fashioned gears. I would just wheel it out for the occasional spin on dry days...whereas now I'm doomed to ride to mid-Wales, Scotland, the Black Forest, Alpine passes, the sunny Picos or Morocco simply to have the slightest chance of bonding with my energy-sapping appliance...

Edited by EasyTiger

DCT IS FOR LASY RIDERS.

The DCT version is simply not effortless enough for us effort-shy riders. There's no step through, so we have to swing our leg over for a start. No keyless ignition, no electronic windscreen raiser, and no auto folding or extending mirrors. Astonishingly for a bike often used by commuters, all these require manual intervention. As if those were not exhausting enough, the sidestand neither extends nor retracts automatically, and there's no electric centre stand. On the road, we are forced to use manually or foot-activated brakes where proximity sensors could take out all the work out. Refuelling involves at least three manual operations, including holding the pump nozzle.

You don't have a butler? I have Carruthers follow me on his Fazer to do all these things for me. He's had a couple of accidents as a result of being unable to operate his gears and clutch while operating my brakes but that's what he's paid for. I simply cannot imagine (nor can I remember how to) operating any aspect of my motorcycle.

Edited by DH1900
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jdearauj

Currently I've done 7,000 miles and I have the same issue. Seems more when the bike has warmed up. But I'm finding it hard to get the bike into neutral, it either goes to 1st from 2nd or from 2nd down to first.

Contacted Dobles as my bike is going in for a service on the 4th February. The guy said it could be the chain or the clutch cable or the gear rod(Not sure this is correct, but assume this is the bar which is connected to the gear lever) which needs adjusting.

I checked the chain and it seems fine, will check the clutch cable and gear lever this weekend. This is a pain when commuting into London as you can imagine I use my clutch allot.

Guest Stephen S

Nicely written, Jeremy.

Enjoyed that.

Did you ever write for a living? Copywriter, say?

Steve

DCT IS FOR LASY RIDERS.

Free from the unconscious drain of brain energy to operate the gears with the less dextrous foot and the more awkward hand, we are fated to worry whether the bike is in the correct mode for the conditions, forced to intervene if it starts to lug, or to drop a gear for a hot corner or an overtake - it's a mobile black hole. Managing the extra few bhp takes us to the edge. There's no cruise control, no windscreen wiper, no heated seat - and worst of all, no thermal cupholder.

We are forced to ride thousands, or even tens of thousands, of miles to get any appreciation at all of the DCT's labour-saving qualities. During that time, despite having paid more, we are still required to coordinate our knee grip and body position to maximise our enjoyment. Without rear-facing cameras or windscreen head-up displays, we still have to carry out our own shoulder checks and lifesavers. Simultaneously, we are processing the entire IPSGA programme in our head without the assistance of any app. Do you wonder those top riders and F1 drivers with their little flippers are always crashing?...Unbelievably, even with a £660 Zumo Satnav fitted the bike doesn't follow a set route on its own, but has to be guided through bends and corners, with no chance to eat a Big Mac, dip the fries in the tomato sauce, or send a simple text. I won't mention the chain drive...

Sometimes I long for the past, and the simple carefree days of the light naked bike with old-fashioned gears. I would just wheel it out for the occasional spin on dry days...whereas now I'm doomed to ride to mid-Wales, Scotland, the Black Forest, Alpine passes, the sunny Picos or Morocco simply to have the slightest chance of bonding with my energy-sapping appliance...

I think it is covered, but give your dealer a ring.

steelhorseuk

Whats that smell? Is it BS?  Your dealer is being an Ass! Contact Honda UK directly and ask them why your dealer will not deal with it under warranty.

The bike is just over a year old?  If drive chains are covered by OEM warranty so are cables! Get Honda UK involved and complain!

Mark    

• Like 1

Yep as Mark says, contact Honda UK. You've got nothing to lose.