NC 700XD Chain Lubrication

Guest Mike_700

michael

Tutoro oiler here. (after some input from the kind folks on this forum).

I've used a Scott Oiler in the past and it also works well.  I'm thinking Oilers (and what goes in them) is much like my personal rules when choosing underwear.

Get what fits.

Your bike, your preferences, your budget.

All of them will efficiently move oil to your chain in some fashion based on my observations. 

• Like 1
Dave H

BUT please NEVER, EVER USE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID in your oiler, some variants have all sorts of nasty toxins in and can destroy plastics, some even corrode brass!

Yes but its RED.

Dave, the capital letters are from the original article:

http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/index.php/blog/item/114-what-oil-should-i-use?

I thought as much, I may have to go back to 2T

Scootabout

Thanks for that article, Marte. I poured some gear oil into a bottle for top-up this w/e, as I'll be covering around 1000 miles (long w/e - 4 days!). However, I then had doubts and went out and bought a bottle of Scottoiler oil. I was going to keep the gear oil in reserve but on the strength of that article I'm going to take Scottoil instead.

I do wonder, though, whether on the strength of that article a combination of engine oil and gear oil might be OK (in the UK).

Slowboy

Thanks for that article, Marte. I poured some gear oil into a bottle for top-up this w/e, as I'll be covering around 1000 miles (long w/e - 4 days!). However, I then had doubts and went out and bought a bottle of Scottoiler oil. I was going to keep the gear oil in reserve but on the strength of that article I'm going to take Scottoil instead.

I do wonder, though, whether on the strength of that article a combination of engine oil and gear oil might be OK (in the UK).

I find that Scottoil is fine in my Tutoro auto oiler, a bottle of which lasts about 3 to 4 thousand miles. Chain now has over 10k on it and is still ok, although it will get replaced in the next couple of months.

Dave H

Oh Joy, Scottoil do a high temp version of their oil ... and its RED.