Brake pads

Guest nc700sam

Guest nc700sam

If this has been posted before, I begrudgingly apologise.

I have just been changing the front pads in my NC700, funny thing is the bike only has 4600 miles on it.

I know the OEM Nissin pads are dreadful, but 4600 miles? That's awful. The front tyre has lasted better than that.

I have of course replaced them with EBC HH sintered pads which are a revelation in comparison, but I just can't get my head around that poor mileage.

Anyone else suffered similarly?

Remember discs are very much more expensive than pads !  I have found my callipers need a lot of attention to prevent slight sticking ,especially the linked pot on the front seems especially prone. But I get at least 15000  from front and 20000 on rear .

It was a post from embee that got me cleaning them and anecdotally my mpg has improved also. 

Guest nc700sam

Sam are the EBC HH pads softer? or why do you say they are a revelation in comparision? and where do you get them from please ? :D

Bonekicker,

im not sure. their co-efficient of friction appears far far higher, and they dont fade ANYWHERE NEAR as much as the nissin pads.

The only negative you appear to have with using a sinter compound is that you get that noise when braking, but the front tyre noise on my bike is so loud anyway that i dont notice it at all really.

just for fade and feel mate, the OEMs when slowing from 60-odd seem to get weak and i found myself tugging harder and harder on the lever.

and i got them from here mate - http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/nc_700_xd_abs/13/

I have the DCT version so i use the larger pads. they also stock the 2 piston caliper pads from EBC if thats what ya need!

Just remember to clean ya pistons and slide mechanism and grease properly if you are doing them yourself. im fairly competent so i kinda know what im doing, but if not then i can PM ya a guide if ya like.

all the best!

Guest bonekicker

sam thanks for that info, I had a quick look on the site and also read about them somewhere, they are a mixture and partly copper, I took wife out today on pillion and stressed out a lot because brakes were twice as bad, so they are a priority to get and fit. I will pm you for more info if needed thanks again for taking the time to reply :angel:

Guest nc700sam

your welcome!

i know exactly what you mean, i took a mate out on mine a couple of weeks ago and the brakes are weak to say the least. you find yourself using the front and rears rather excessively to try and slow down in time! these pads made a difference, so i would recommend them.

Only thing you might need to bear in mind (reading that you have a NC750X) is that i think it might void your Honda service history, fitting non-OEM parts. im not 100% on this, but i think it might.

just PM me for any more info. cheers.

Guest bonekicker

:frantics: sam will it void my life if I cant stop? **** Honda I will fit what ever is safe for me and my little princess :frantics: 

When I lovingly call her that she says--- ok my big queen--- that's nice isn't it ? :cry: 

Guest nc700sam

Charming! Think you might need to teach her some manners :D back to the kitchen to make me a sandwich woman! lol

With regards to brake pads, I know what your saying. Now mine have had a proper chance to bed in, the EBC sintered pads make a world of difference. I would recommend them to anyone looking to improve their NC's brakes.

I would also seriously recommend stripping the calipers when the bikes new and do what Honda should have bloody done.

Bear in mind my bike has been through half of one british winter, the rear caliper in particular was full of corrosion! Horrendous, and no sign of a smear of copper slip in sight! Thats definitely not the Honda I remember!

I removed most of it and reassembled it with copious quantities of said lube, so hopefully it wont get any worse.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Paget76

Hi,

Quick question related to this - just changed my front pads (6500 miles - wtf?!), and found on the old set a thin metal plate and a white material plate clipped onto the back of one pad. Forgive my ignorance, but is this something to do with the ABS, or just a Honda thing? Never seen it on previous bikes I've owned...

Cheers,

Richard

shiggsy

The thin metal plate is an anti-rattle plate, the white plate I believe is a sort of heat barrier plate, stops heat transferring to the piston and heating the fluid up. Not seen that on a bike before.

• Like 1
Guest nc700sam

Shiggsy is bang on mate, it's a heat plate. The EBC pads I replaced my OE pads with did not have this plate, but not all pads have them.

The pads on my old zx6 had these, but the EBC pads don't tend to have this for some reason.

I find the EBC pads so dam good that I don't think it needs it anyway. They are worlds better than the OE shite, that's for sure! I got 4000 miles to my originals so 6500 is not too bad.

• 1 month later...

Just had my 8k service (at 9k miles  :whistle: ) and the mechanic said my front pads had about 500 miles left in them. I thought that was a joke because pads before for me have always lasted well past 12k miles but reading this thread, maybe not. He didn't change them because he reckoned the NC had some 'special' pads and he didn't have any in stock. He also said he didn't like using EBC pads but gave no reason... :wacko:

I've used EBCs on my previous bikes for years - never noticed any problem with them and I'm assuming from the posts above, no-one else has either?

Wow, I got 20K km from the original fronts & still have the original rears at 28K.

Yeah but in NZ, the only time you need to brake is if a sheep strays into the road or at the end of your journey so that you can get off the bike  :D  (I've watched The Hobbit - I know these things....)

Edited by nelmo
Guest Kildareman

I always replace my pads with EBC HH - the fully sintered version. 

Better fade resistance

Better wet weater braking

Don't forget people that the disc/disk is also a consumable part.

• 1 month later...

Best price i have found is £19.90 all in.   301245127101 on that site.

About £4 less than wemoto.

• 7 months later...
Guest luis.sousa.6

does anyone else notice an abnormal friction in the front brake???

Perhaps that's why the pads last so few miles???!!

• 5 months later...

When the wife comments through the intercom how poor the 750 brakes are at above 60mph I new I had to do something about it.

I have just fitted a 3 piston calliper from a 700x and linked both the outer and inner pistons to work at the same time .

The pads that it came with are well worn Honda pads but even with these in I am happy with the results having done some high speed hard braking on my own to test them out.

Due to the price of the Honda pads I have just fitted some EBC FA 388 HH pads and will give them a chance to bed in before I go two up testing but even from the off they seem fine.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
Guest Flanker37

Reviving an old thread, I've been told i have about 1000 miles left on my front pads on my 2012 NC700X DCT  can someone recommend replacements?

Defender

I replaced the pads on my '12 '700X on mine just this week, I went for EBC SFA388 'GG' pads, the old ones had covered just over 12750 miles on them.

BTW, with regard to the heat plate on the original pads, they can be removed from the old pad and transfered to the new one if you wish?

Guest Flanker37

I had my 14.5k service done last month, and the service guy said my pads were 2/3rd worn and that i should replace within a 1000 miles.  If these are the original pads, they've done alright.  i'll have to check service history to see if 1st owner changed the pads at some point

Tonyj

This must make me rubbish, I put the new original honda pads in when I replaced them . Thought they were ok :0)

Defender

This must make me rubbish, I put the new original honda pads in when I replaced them . Thought they were ok :0)

If you thought the performance of the OEM pads were OK for you, then fine? The only other issue would possibly be the cost of the OEM over aftermarket?

• Like 1