Engine coming to a halt while driving only showing the oil lamp

Guest jespersk

ONTWOWHEELS62

Welcome.

I own a 750 DCT/2016.

It was bought in May 12th and since then i have 10.000 kms on the clock without any problems and i 've travelled everywhere.

Never had any issue so far.

Oil consumption is zero and engine - DCT work just fine ! 

9 hours ago, AG-Wulf said:

Hello to All

I was making a search on this topic, when I came across this post at this forum. I know that this post has a couple years...Anyway, I'm a proud owner of a brand new NC750X DCT, with only a mere 500km.

I received it in september, due Kumamoto's earthquake, since then I've only changed the oil once, as recommended by Honda dealer, exactly one month after the purchase.

Two days ago while touring and putting some solids Km on it, I experienced the same issue, as decribed by "jespersk".

Have a read through my experience in this thread below (sorry it loads the text box rather than just the thread link, there's a way of stopping it do that but I can't remember what it is, just click on the title and it'll take you there)

In my case it failed to start after stopping it normally, but if the fault happens while riding it will just stop the engine exactly the same way as switching the kill switch off. Search for the blue connector which supplies the right side switch gear, on the Integra it's behind the right front fairing panel, I guess it's the same area for X and S. look for tarnished pins in the connector, that was definitely the issue with mine and I can't imagine my bike was the only one affected. Because it is tarnished connections it will be liable to be intermittent, a slight movement (e.g. turning the bars or wiggling the wiring harness) may be enough to make the contact again).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

With regards to engine oil and cutting out. My 800cc Honda lost most of it's oil when the drain plug fell out whilst I was riding at speed, It was only when the back tyre slipped that I pulled over thinking I had a rear puncture and then the light came on, both for me and on the bike.  It took some seconds to realise and the engine was still running sweetly.  

Long story made short, the oil and plug was replaced and the bike ran as normal for another two years and most proberbly  continues to do so somewhere in the U.K.     (Honda engineering made in Japan)

A new engine will use more oil until it beds in and needs more frequent oil checks, but excessive oil use is rare on Japanese engines and should be monitored and reported to the supplying dealer. 

Not so on my MotoGuzzi which drank like a sailor in a dock side bar. 

Honda have had a major recall in Australia on it's 300/350cc machines with engines cutting out  and also engine engineering failure, sorry I have forgotten what exactly. But I understand these machines are farmed out to another company to produce under licence.  Also the CB 500 range is reported to be having some issues with the top end and shim clearance. The CB is also not made in Japan.  I am not  knocking this policy as such for Triumphs are not made in the U.K.  and some BMW are now made in China. 

Regarding the engine cutting out, If the engine stutters and dies  I would in most cases be investigating a fuel delivery problem.

If the engine chops out suddenly then that to me indicates in the first instance an electrical problem. 

AG-Wulf's problem could possibly be just a poor electrical connection or more expensively an ECU malfunction. A poor connection won't show up as such on a OBD check saying here it is, it will produce a general error code.  But his dealer should be checking this most urgently not just fobbing him off . 

Searching on the Internet and other forums this is not a NC common occurrence. I would it back and make them check the loom connections and if needed replace the ECU, cutting out in traffic is a no no.  Honda take this issue very seriously hence the full recall on the 300cc for this very issue in Oz. 

DaveM59

Worth checking the tickover speed adjustment as well. If it's more than 100rpm too low sometimes on throttle off over run a lot of ECU controlled motors will stall particularly at the moment the clutch drops engagement as the wheels are no longer 'driving' the engine as such.

One of the first things I did when I got my Integra was to strip off all the bodywork, expose all the connectors and inspect, clean if required, and fill with silicone grease, something you have to do on any Italian looms which I was used to. This prevents damp and corrosion of pins basically for ever as even a pressure wash shouldn't clean out the insides of a proper Jap type of connector.

Edited by DaveM59
Typo
glencoeman

Check the battery connections are tight as loose connections can throw up all kinds of problems. A few people have experienced this (including myself) - seems to a common problem with these bikes. 

Guest AG-Wulf

Hello to All

Thank You for the pointers,

I've checked what I could, by myself and I didn't find anything that seemed wrong or misplaced.

These last weeks, I've been ridding in normal traffic condition and so far I haven't had the same issue.

Hopefully, it was only, a one-time thing. Not that I believe in that sort of things, but I hope...

The sport's 3rd level in the mountain road it's just pure adrenaline rush.

Pretty damn happy with it :)