Another DCT stuck in gear

Huskyteer
Go to solution Solved by Huskyteer,

embee

It happened to me yesterday on my 2016 750x.It only came out of the 600 mile service on wednesday.... Anyone think it is worth doing the reset as advised in this thread?

That sounds suspicious to me. Check the battery terminals first, loose terminals have been found before and will seriously upset the whole system. Did the service include a check/change of the starter solenoid (recall)?

Ref Murray's (the other one, not me!) post earlier. Just to be clear, we need to differentiate between clutch system and gear selector, these are very different. The dual clutch has 2 oil switching solenoids, inside the box (body item 2). There are 3 oil pressure sensors (7) on the outside side cover (oil supply and the pressures to the 2 clutches). There are a number of speed sensors, 3 in the top of the gearbox under the cubby box (11 lowest image). The gear actuator is an electric motor mounted on the bottom left side of the engine, I believe it has various position sensors associated with it and the gear selector drum.

From http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/index.php

E_06.jpg

E_19.jpg

E_14.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Huskyteer

• embee

• Mike5100

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got it back! Dobles replaced a broken sensor (inner main shaft sensor) which meant speed data wasn't getting to the DCT, so it couldn't change. The part was £140, but as usual the bulk of the cost was

Yeah, but that's what they said in 1922 when Harold Willis designed the positive stop foot change.. Every generation needs it's pioneers - I'm proud to be one with the DCT (You may remind me I said

I've. Just had a big old service on my integra 700. I mentioned the issue with the sticking gear to the service team. It seems that the integra has been the main culprit for this fault though it has o

gardener

That sounds suspicious to me. Check the battery terminals first, loose terminals have been found before and will seriously upset the whole system. Did the service include a check/change of the starter solenoid (recall)?

Ref Murray's (the other one, not me!) post earlier. Just to be clear, we need to differentiate between clutch system and gear selector, these are very different. The dual clutch has 2 oil switching solenoids, inside the box (body item 2). There are 3 oil pressure sensors (7) on the outside side cover (oil supply and the pressures to the 2 clutches). There are a number of speed sensors, 3 in the top of the gearbox under the cubby box (11 lowest image). The gear actuator is an electric motor mounted on the bottom left side of the engine, I believe it has various position sensors associated with it and the gear selector drum.

From http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/index.php

E_06.jpg

E_19.jpg

E_14.jpg

I struggle wiring a plug.There has been no recall on the 2016 bikes and i have just checked my vin number on the Honda recall page.I have rode it a few miles since it happened and it was fine.I will call dobles in the morning to se what they say.

Huskyteer

That one from Gardener with his new model is worrying.

I was all ready to put all these issues down to electrical bad contacts or falling battery voltages - but for it to happen just after a first service on a brand-new new-model bike is really a pig.

OTOH, a service can shake things up a bit, so something often drops off or comes loose when you've just got it back from the dealer's...

Re getting safely to the side of the road, I've found I can ride in the 'safe mode' it goes into at a reasonable speed, until the opportunity arises to pull over. The flashing dash and the engine noise can be a little disconcerting, and it probably wouldn't be good for the engine to ride a long way like this, but it's safer than coming to an immediate stop.

Mike5100

I had an engine warning light come on a few hours after an oil change service. It went away and never came back

Mike

• 1 month later...

Went to leave work this afternoon and started up my 2014 750X dct. It immediately reved quite high. I continued to put my helmet on and th rev's dropped.  When I tried to put the bike into gear nothing would happen. I had the horizontal bar flash in the gear indication section but thats it.  After 5 attempts of turning the bike on and off it finally popped into gear and I rode home (35 miles ) without any issues.  Im kind of hoping this happened because I forgot to engage neutral before switching off the bike earlier in the morning. 

.... Im kind of hoping this happened because I forgot to engage neutral before switching off the bike earlier in the morning. 

Unlikely. I never engage neutral before switching off the bike and so far no issues with DCT :)

Edited by marekm

Unlikely. I never engage neutral before switching off the bike and so far no issues with DCT :)

Im not 100% sure but something didnt seem right.  When I keyed out I heard a slight gear click sound that I never noticed before.  Well ill see how she goes in the morning.

SteveThackery

Interesting, that.  It says to engage neutral in the handbook, but obviously it doesn't matter much if you don't.

Interesting, that.  It says to engage neutral in the handbook, but obviously it doesn't matter much if you don't.

It matters when you have a battery that is no longer at full capacity. When you turn the bike on next time after not selecting neutral, the DCT box will get it in neutral first with the help of the gear shift motors. If your battery cannot supply sufficient power for this, you will have the DCT stuck effectively in gear. It is a "best practice" thing.

Hati, that's exactly right. Thanks, you saved me the trouble of typing all that. :)

larryblag

I usually select neutral then switch off ignition. I sometimes forget though and the gearbox selects neutral with a "clunk" when I first switch on again. Must try to remember. I did use the engine kill switch last night so as not to be plunged into total darkness whilst putting bike away. The beauty of the LED lights is that they can be left on for a few minutes. Bulbs take a lot more current so generally the lights are snubbed when engine is killed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

My Integra has ran into spoken problem past week at about 49000km. All went exactly as described in troubleshooter of owner manual. Thanks to this thread and to wimd1145 my honda dealer managed to replace the part 6 on provided chart.

Adding this post to appreciate the collective mind and for statistics.

• Like 3
larryblag

Slightly off topic but last weekend the "pre start" sequence failed to complete and it triggered the engine fault light. Interestingly, the sequence (which includes the dashboard check) didn't produce the final "whirring" noise (that on the RT was the exhaust flap servo doing it's full sweep) near the front of the bike - not sure what it is on the NC?

Switched off/on twice more and got the same result so I rode home (about two miles) with light on. Tried again at home and got the full sequence (this time including the "whirr") and fault cleared. Not happened again since.

Forgot to mention it.

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 1

Fixed it then . Happy days. Reminds me when I was seventeen in the car , a fiver for the petrol no matter how far it was , a new air freshener if it ran rough and if it was serious you turned the radio up . AA ! Who ? :0)

Slightly off topic but last weekend the "pre start" sequence failed to complete and it triggered the engine fault light. Interestingly, the sequence (which includes the dashboard check) didn't produce the final "whirring" noise (that on the RT was the exhaust flap servo doing it's full sweep) near the front of the bike - not sure what it is on the NC?

Switched off/on twice more and got the same result so I rode home (about two miles) with light on. Tried again at home and got the full sequence (this time including the "whirr") and fault cleared. Not happened again since.

Forgot to mention it.

Similar thing described in my thread http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/12883-nc700-integra-fail-to-start/

I'm surprised it started with no fuel pump priming .............

larryblag

Nope, definitetly not the fuel pump, that primed as normal. This "whirr" was way down low - engine or exhaust area and sounded more like a servo.

• 5 weeks later...

Just to say thanks to all on the forum I have a NC700x done 33k km and started to get intermittent faults. The bike from a cold start sometimes would stay engaged in gear but the read out would have nothing and could not change up or anything. Then once tried to start and it showed in gear. By reading this forum rocked it out of gear then reset the DCT and now no problems - love this bike she is a work horse use her to get to clients in the summer traffic and for the joy of it at the weekends. Looks like I will be able to keep her for a while longer.

suffolk58
13 hours ago, wandw said:

Just to say thanks to all on the forum I have a NC700x done 33k km and started to get intermittent faults. The bike from a cold start sometimes would stay engaged in gear but the read out would have nothing and could not change up or anything. Then once tried to start and it showed in gear. By reading this forum rocked it out of gear then reset the DCT and now no problems - love this bike she is a work horse use her to get to clients in the summer traffic and for the joy of it at the weekends. Looks like I will be able to keep her for a while longer.

I see you are in the Alpes Maritimes Region Huw. You lucky, lucky man! Menton must be my favourite place in France (if not Europe). You've now got me looking at holiday rental properties for 2017. :ahappy:

My bike has had no issues with the gears after the reset of the DCT but I do get a noise when breaking from cold the best I can describe it is like a cycle or something turning over slowly which stops after about 4-5 rotations. I am taking her into the Garage today to see if i can get it diagnosed. As for Menton you are so close to Liguria the tourist board there publishes Motorbike routes, yes I am lucky :) and the food is generally better over the border. The X with the paniers is great for touring but only if you change the stock seat I found. Enjoy your hols!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Waltzer
On 1/28/2016 at 15:06, 7even said:

MGR1, it´s very simple:

- Put the clutch in N, switch-off the engine.

- While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow symbol of the engine desapears in the dash-board, then let go D.

- Press in fast sequence: DDNDN.

- In the dash, the letters D and S should apeear at once.

- Turn on the engine, but don´t accelerate!

- After a few seconds, the letters D and S go out.

That´s it!! Reset done.

:)

2013 NC700XD: Very helpful. Unfortunately the DS has never went away. Furthermore, as I drive it, it's now like it is in all of the modes (D, S, & Manual). I can be driving like it's in D, switch to S and it will downshift like it's in S; however, I can also paddle shift into any gear without triggering AT/MT switch. No matter what mode I'm selecting, the display always says DS.

Mike5100
2 hours ago, Waltzer said:

2013 NC700XD: Very helpful. Unfortunately the DS has never went away. Furthermore, as I drive it, it's now like it is in all of the modes (D, S, & Manual). I can be driving like it's in D, switch to S and it will downshift like it's in S; however, I can also paddle shift into any gear without triggering AT/MT switch. No matter what mode I'm selecting, the display always says DS.

I don't think the D and S display is right, but I don't see anything abnormal with the shifting you describe.

Mike

Do the procedure again. Make sure the engine is hot first, select N and turn off, then do the routine. The manual actually states if the DS doesn't clear to repeat the process.

Guest Waltzer
On 1/28/2016 at 15:06, 7even said:

MGR1, it´s very simple:

- Put the clutch in N, switch-off the engine.

- While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow symbol of the engine desapears in the dash-board, then let go D.

- Press in fast sequence: DDNDN.

- In the dash, the letters D and S should apeear at once.

- Turn on the engine, but don´t accelerate!

- After a few seconds, the letters D and S go out.

That´s it!! Reset done.

:)

I had tried this sequence and it did get the bike where I could ride it, but the DS had stayed on the display. One of you recommended that I re-try the sequence, only after the engine had warmed up. So I went for a ride and tried the sequence again; no change (the DS was still displayed). I then tried the sequence again (engine still warm), only this time I added a final D to the fast sequence (DDNDND). This did make a difference, but it resulted in nothing in the display (no D, S, or DS); but now I could not get the bike into gear (neutral green light remained regardless what I tried to get it into gear). I turned the engine off, switched it back on, started it, and then I was able to put it in gear; and now the correct D was on the display. So it appears like it is now fixed. I'm still concerned about going too far from home just in case the problem returns and I can't get the bike into gear.