Brake Pads need replacing - What to buy?

Guest Blimmer2007

Rocker66

Just a query with brake pads -

I replaced my front ones today with a make called Goldfren all fitted ok.

Just as i was about to throw my old pads in the bin i noticed on one the pads a backing plate - should this of been put back on the new pad

or is this just a thing with honda oem pads

If your using Goldfren pads going by other peoples experiences I would be interest to know how long before they become glazed

dazznutts

If your using Goldfren pads going by other peoples experiences I would be interest to know how long before they become glazed

will let you know how i get on i did research them prior to buying them mixed reviews around 70% for around about same for EBC

also after replacing them i did a quick ride and the initial braking feels better than the oem pads will update on my return trip to work tomorrow 

Edited by dazznutts
dazznutts

The new pads have good feel compared to the oem ones at a faction of the price

• Like 1

the plate is to help the pads align and release more efficiently I think ..I have done the same and noticed no difference but I put them back in as only a ten minute job. I think they go on the piston side.

dazznutts

the plate is to help the pads align and release more efficiently I think ..I have done the same and noticed no difference but I put them back in as only a ten minute job. I think they go on the piston side.

The plate was on the non piston side i did put it on one off the new pads but it seems to stick out by an extra mill or 2 - im thinking the oem's might be thinner

• 3 months later...

I think I have a problem Houston.

I had to replace my front pads at about 8000 miles. The replacement EBCs are nearly finished now at about 4000! 

Now i know the brakes get worked harder on this bike due to the reduced engine braking but that's just crazy. 

Well the weather's crap for the rest of the week, so I might as well get stuck in and see what's going on.

Just got to finish fitting my new hugger -with deluxe mud flap!- first. Don't talk to me about priorities....

Tibs

glencoeman

I had to replace my front pads at about 8000 miles. The replacement EBCs are nearly finished now at about 4000! 

Now i know the brakes get worked harder on this bike due to the reduced engine braking but that's just crazy. 

Well the weather's crap for the rest of the week, so I might as well get stuck in and see what's going on.

Just got to finish fitting my new hugger -with deluxe mud flap!- first. Don't talk to me about priorities....

Tibs

Sounds like your caliper needs stripping and cleaning and the relevant parts will require greasing with brake grease.
  • Like 1

I think I've sorted it. Hopefully. The pad spring was slightly damaged. Presumably by the ham fisted pillock who changed them last time, ie me. The pistons seemed to move quite easily but I gave them a good clean. I'll be keeping a close eye on them this time though.

I think I've sorted it. Hopefully. The pad spring was slightly damaged. Presumably by the ham fisted pillock who changed them last time, ie me. The pistons seemed to move quite easily but I gave them a good clean. I'll be keeping a close eye on them this time though.

Bingo.

Seems like most "rapid brake pad wear," can be a combination of heavy use (although difficult on such a light-and decidedly not so fast- motorcycle) or the pistons not retracting in the manner in which they were intended.

Cleaning even the exterior moving bits seems to have a good effect, so it eliminates any residual pressure from the calliper and pads onto the disc.

Me? 25,000 miles and original pads, although i have a replacement pair waiting in the tool box for when the times comes.

Scootabout

I suspect the mileage you get from the pads is a function not only of pad type, riding style etc but how much urban v open road riding you do.  I think I'm quite light on the brakes but got only 12k miles from OEM pads, 15k from rear. I do live in London, though, and maybe 30-40% of my miles are covered there. 

• Like 1
dazznutts

Tibs

My OEM front pads lasted 8500 miles 3000 miles on goldfern ones show not much wear

• 5 weeks later...

I suspect the mileage you get from the pads is a function not only of pad type, riding style etc but how much urban v open road riding you do.  I think I'm quite light on the brakes but got only 12k miles from OEM pads, 15k from rear. I do live in London, though, and maybe 30-40% of my miles are covered there. 

Quite agree, I got 13k from the front (rear will need changing soon) and to about 50/50 Urban/Open road.

I put in the organic EBC pads which were recommended for the bike as they are similar to the original fitment.

Cheap too and will not wear the rotor out like HH pads will.

Seem to be working ok :-)

I don't see the need for HH pads as the NC is not exactly a performance bike, the organics pull up fine from 100....

Scootabout

I put in the organic EBC pads which were recommended for the bike as they are similar to the original fitment.

As a matter of interest, where did you see that?

• 2 months later...