Ignition key problems

Dave H

When I first got the bike it was sometimes a bit fiddly getting the key into the ignition.

Seemed to be the little metal protective slide on top of the lock being a bit sticky that was causing the problem.

One drop of oil on it (on the outside, not inside the lock) cured the problem. Slips in a treat now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave H

• Rocker66

• RussB644

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's definitely a quality problem as I have had similar problems with other bikes from Honda - they bend very easily and eventually crack. I am now very cautious when I use the key on my NC700S.

I've just had the ignition switch and frunk lock replaced under warranty (frunk lock broke) amd it's also a bit stiff. I just put some dry graphite powder in and it's eased up considerably. Didn't want to try wet lubricant as there's a danger of clogging up the lock.

• 2 months later...
Guest Cookie

Folks,

I suffered a similar problem as what has been discussed by yourselves, this morning.  So bad didnt think I would get bike started, 5 minutes wriggling the key and eventually got it turning and free.  Then when arrived to park at work, same thing happened! But again managed to get it free.  I have checked the key as per some posts and yes looks like a slight kink in it now.  Also useful to hear about the helmet compartment lock, will remember that in future.

It will be interesting later today as I have my bike booked in with Honda for a recall to the combination meter, some issue that could arise with erroneous display.  So I will be mentioning the problem I have experienced today with the ignition.  I don't want to start messing around with anything until they see the problem.

wpbrown

Folks,

I suffered a similar problem as what has been discussed by yourselves, this morning.  So bad didnt think I would get bike started, 5 minutes wriggling the key and eventually got it turning and free.  Then when arrived to park at work, same thing happened! But again managed to get it free.  I have checked the key as per some posts and yes looks like a slight kink in it now.  Also useful to hear about the helmet compartment lock, will remember that in future.

It will be interesting later today as I have my bike booked in with Honda for a recall to the combination meter, some issue that could arise with erroneous display.  So I will be mentioning the problem I have experienced today with the ignition.  I don't want to start messing around with anything until they see the problem.

Cookie,

I mentioned to Allen's Honda about the key, they put key in vice and straightened it. I took to a locksmith to get another cut. The guy in there (rides a Fireblade) said not to bother wasting £60, just lubricate it properly. I told him I had used WD40 and graphite oil but still have problems with key.

He advised me:

1).  Do not use graphite oil, it's for locks with plates that glide over one another.

2). Use WD40 only to wash out the lock. It soon dries up.

3). Lubricate the lock with 3 in 1 oil often. Slide the key in and out and lubricate. He does it after every couple of rides.

This is my regime now, haven't had any problems since.

Paul.

Guest Cookie

Hi Paul,

Yip thats exactly what they did yesterday afternoon.  I had a close look at the key and it had slightly twisted, not very noticeable.  But was glad when I went to Allens yesterday at 3.30 that key wouldn't come out.  Nothing worse than having the problem all day and then when you arrive it has disappeared!!  Makes you look a right pillock.  Anyway I will take more care with the key and lubricate with the 3-1.  Lot more care to take with a motorbike than I realised.  By way I had said this on another post.  The main reason I had booked in was to get the combination meter sorted as per the Honda recall.  I know people have said if not broken don't fix it but I went ahead anyway.  Also picked up a tin of that ACF-50 for anti-corrosion.  It looks the business and the bike will be getting a coating of that.  Good blog on web shows exactly how to use it too.

Cheers

Brian

wpbrown

Hi Paul,

Yip thats exactly what they did yesterday afternoon.  I had a close look at the key and it had slightly twisted, not very noticeable.  But was glad when I went to Allens yesterday at 3.30 that key wouldn't come out.  Nothing worse than having the problem all day and then when you arrive it has disappeared!!  Makes you look a right pillock.  Anyway I will take more care with the key and lubricate with the 3-1.  Lot more care to take with a motorbike than I realised.  By way I had said this on another post.  The main reason I had booked in was to get the combination meter sorted as per the Honda recall.  I know people have said if not broken don't fix it but I went ahead anyway.  Also picked up a tin of that ACF-50 for anti-corrosion.  It looks the business and the bike will be getting a coating of that.  Good blog on web shows exactly how to use it too.

Cheers

Brian

Brian,

I got the ACF50 treatment couple of weeks ago. Couple of us at work ride bikes and read about the treatment. Allyearbiker agent in NI came down to work and did the couple of us on site. 8 stage clean, blow dry, treatment, wax and polish. Bike looked great after. Highly recommended protection against the elements, all for £60. Jonny Lucas is the agent, based in Lisburn, details on the Allyearbiker website.

Paul.

Guest Cookie

Brian,

I got the ACF50 treatment couple of weeks ago. Couple of us at work ride bikes and read about the treatment. Allyearbiker agent in NI came down to work and did the couple of us on site. 8 stage clean, blow dry, treatment, wax and polish. Bike looked great after. Highly recommended protection against the elements, all for £60. Jonny Lucas is the agent, based in Lisburn, details on the Allyearbiker website.

Paul.

Paul,

thats great value and less lot hassle, I might just investigate that one.  Thanks for the info Paul

Cheers

Brian

Dave H

It galls me that we have to go to all this palaver with a brand new bike.  It certainly colours my view of Honda when I change the bike.  Cant they see this?

Rocker66

It galls me that we have to go to all this palaver with a brand new bike.  It certainly colours my view of Honda when I change the bike.  Cant they see this?

How would any other make differ? I certainly haven't found a make where nobody has some sort of problem

Edited by Rocker66
Dave H

How would any other make differ? I certainly haven't found a make where nobody has some sort of problem

A KEY for crying out loud.  In 45 years of bike & car ownership I can't remember being supplied with a plasticine key.  Did some 'engineer' think it would be a good idea to save 0.001p per unit by making the key wobbly?

Rocker66

I would rather have a dodgy key on a budget bike than a collaping rear suspension on a top of the range bike as on a BMW

Rev Ken

I would rather have a dodgy key on a budget bike than a collaping rear suspension on a top of the range bike as on a BMW

And guess which bikes overheated on our tour as well as using oil, something no Honda I've owned uses!

Rocker66

And guess which bikes overheated on our tour as well as using oil, something no Honda I've owned uses!

Let me guess. In crossword parlance 3 letters B something W

Guest Cookie

Folks,

Love how this sparks off opinions!!!  Now I am not a hardened biker like most people on this forum however, I tend to agree with the technology available and how far we have come with keys, surely no company in the world (let alone Honda) should be producing keys that are susceptible to "twisting/bending".  I can understand maybe why the barrels are so sensitive with the whole overall security.

Still as long as that is all the problems (and the combination meter) I have with my NC then I would be happy.  Before I bought my Honda my car mechanic who has 4 Hondas, said I wouldn't go far wrong with a Honda. 

Guest dentonlad

I've had my bike for 20 months and done just short of 10,000 miles. I haven't had the slightest problem with the key bending or twisting. Ignition barrel and 'not-tank' lock occasionally lubricated with powdered graphite if they get a bit 'sticky'. No problems with the key on the CT either 

Guest Cookie

Keith,

Thanks for that update.  I think I will have to put it down to buying an ex demo and so many riders using it who lets face it dont take as much care as their own bike.

Cheers

Brian

I hope I am not stating the obvious, but if the ignition is sticky putting on or taking off the steering lock, then turning the bars back a little helps on pretty much every bike I have owned.

J

Guest Cookie

Hi John,

Nope you are OK.  I always do that when taking off steering lock.  The issue was definitely that barrel was sticky and the key slightly twisted (not very noticeable but it was).  When I got the bike there was always an issue with it sticking and I followed the guidance as it said in the handbook that if it sticks to gently turn bars. As I said all the people who had a demo ride on it proably led to key issues.  All good now

Guest nigel w

I don't know if anyone else has discovered this but today I put the wrong key in the ignition the spare one I had cut without a chip, the proper one was beside it on the keyring. Low and behold the bike started, now I won't be doing this again but its nice to know that if I was to break my ignition key that the other may well start the bike.

That is because the chip in the real key told the sensor it was OK to start. If the unchipped key starts the bike  without the original chipped key next to it or very close, you have a problem.

• 3 months later...
Guest rioron

Yup. Ditto.

If you look at the key side on, you might see that it is slightly twisted.  If so, try to bend it back into shape, ever so, ever so gently.  Then get a replacement and pair it to the ignition in the way suggested in previous posts.  I'm sure someone will come up with a reference before I can find it.

I don't necessarily think it's a key quality problem.

For a long time now, I've found, that if I'm not careful when I take the key out, I can upset the ignition barrel internals. Which means that the next time I put the key in, it doesn't seem to line up correctly, and it takes quite a while to jiggle the key in. Once back in, everything seems fine again.

Or is it just me....?

i tried graphite from a pencil grate on the key no prblems since 

embee

I had a bunch of bike keys all clipped together and tried to start the NC with its key on the bunch. The bike wouldn't start. I realised that on the bunch was the key from the Deauville which is also HISS, and the NC obviously saw that key even though the correct one was in the lock. As said earlier, the HISS transponder is in the fob and only needs to be near the lock for it to be picked up, it doesn't need to be physically attached to the metal key.

Same problem here, now solved.

Strightened key, then used "High load fully synthetic paste" from work, no problems so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Martiman

I had the dealer recall for the frunk lock issue, I told the dealer that I would perform the mod myself and he just handed over the parts. The kit included a replacement plastic sleeve and a packet of graphite grease; I took the lock apart and found that it was dry assembled and I did not need the replacement part (in the kit in case of wear). So basically the recall was to lubricate the complete frunk lock mechanism and now its done it functions a lot easier.

Honda should have done this from the start.

Exceledsteve

The cheap material key is being used for 3 things... Ignition, frunk and rear seat for fuel. Easy Tiger and Southerners suggestions seem very sensible.

Honda, please consider this heavy duty use, no longer an occasional use plus ignition. The key needs to be made of solid stuff to prevent the twisting with this level of use.